WTB cheap 1911

Items listed for over one month, or that were sold are listed here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Rex B
Posts in topic: 4

WTB cheap 1911

Post by Rex B »

I'd like a basic 1911 to tinker with.
Don't need somebody's safe queen, and I don't mind one that has some problems as long as it's priced accordingly. $300 or less.

If nothing turns up quick I'll likely buy an RIA this weekend at the gun show.

Rex B
Keller
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Reysc
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Reysc »

RIA Will be your best bet for under $400.00.. You won't be diaappointed. I can't imagine under $300.00 except may a a LLama .45 but you will not like a gun that jams every other shot... Good luck on the RIA and give use a range report..
ReySC

lrb111
Posts in topic: 2

Post by lrb111 »

I got a Rock, for exactly the same reasons. So far I have learned how to polish the ramp, and tune the extractor.

Tuning the extractor cured failure to feed problems. It took about 5 minutes with the right file. :smile:

If you are going to look for an RIA, and have several to look over thre are a few areas i would look at.
The frames are MIM. (Cast metal) Look inside the mag well for porosity or pock marks. Also look at the feed ramp for the same things.

The last time we went to the range, I was having laugh out loud fun popping the steel chickens and pigs at the silhouette range.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Topic author
Rex B

'Preciate it

Post by Rex B »

Thanks for the RIA tips, I'll scope that out this weekend.

Can't believe they'd let a gun out with casting imperfections in the feed ramp.
Speaking of which, dooes the RIA have the wide feed ramps, or the narrow military type?

Rex
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Cabela's has the new Taurus PT1911 for $489 +Tax (blued model). I've handled a couple of them and am starting to see them show up at IDPA matches, box stock and running 100%. As far as I can tell, they are the best bang for the buck in the current 1911 market. As soon as I see a stainless one, it will be mine.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

lrb111
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 'Preciate it

Post by lrb111 »

Rex B wrote:Thanks for the RIA tips, I'll scope that out this weekend.

Can't believe they'd let a gun out with casting imperfections in the feed ramp.
Speaking of which, dooes the RIA have the wide feed ramps, or the narrow military type?

Rex
Honestly I didn't know there was a difference. Mine is now wider.

Oh yeah, the rear sight has been glued in place by the US distributor. It needs a little heat to melt the glue, if you need to do an adjustment. Or if you want to do a replacement. Drift it out right to left.

If you want best bang for the buck , go with High Vel's sugestion on the PT1911. There weren't any when i was ready to buy. In fact, I had to get in line to even get a Rock.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Diode
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Diode »

http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?forumid=17

Here is a good place to get info on the RIA stuff.... I am looking at a Officers model to tinker with.

Topic author
Rex B

Taurus

Post by Rex B »

I've heard nothing but good about the Taurus. I wasn't really wanting to spend $500 on it, but I'll sleep on that.

My other alternative is to just build one from parts. May do that regardless.
-----------

age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

HighVelocity wrote:Cabela's has the new Taurus PT1911 for $489 +Tax (blued model). ......... As soon as I see a stainless one, it will be mine.
Not if I beat you to it!!! LOL

I'm seriously looking at one as well. The only thing I've heard that was negative was that the finish on them is pretty thin and wears fast. Also, a slight bit of rubbing on the side of the hammer but that's a little fitting I could do myself. I've heard nothing but great reviews on them though.
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

I think I know where Rex is coming from. I just can't bring myself to experiment on any of my working 1911s...and they all work. I'd be able to let myself grab the Dremel and the needle-nose pliers for a well-used pistol I picked up for the purpose, or for parts that I bought specifically for self-education and tinkering.

I speced the parts route about a year ago, and for basic, forged, mil spec my notes show I came up with $150 for a receiver, $140 for a slide, $90 for a (basic) barrel and bushing, and $140 for all the other sundry parts (except grips; I always have spare grips laying around). That was straight retail out of Brownell's for a total of around $520...no lowered and flared port, no checkering, no match-grade barrel or trigger, just the ground-floor GI mil spec 1911. I always thought I could wrangle the parts here and there for about a hundred bucks less than that, but never started that collection--other than the springs, and recoil guides, and mag release assemblies and other items that end up in my 1911 toolbox anyway.

Just goes to show what an amazing value some of today's guns are.

So I kinda decided I don't really need much in the way of gunsmithing skills. Don't have the bench tools I'd need to get serious about it, anyway. So I spend the money instead on more guns and ammo. ;-)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Diode

Post by Diode »

That RIA compact 1911 is tempting.... for $300.00 I can afford to mess it up :)

Topic author
Rex B

Building

Post by Rex B »

Skiprr

I was looking at the pieces on sarco

http://www.sarcoinc.com/cgm.html

Parts Kit less slide and frame $116
With slide $186
Or buy a semi-finished slide for $37.50
I don't see a frame listed, but they did have them for about $110 IIRC.
So that totaled $300, or about $265 w/semi-finsihed slide.

I have some machne tools that need a project.
Maybe I'll order a slide first, just to give me a project.
Might better order 2 :roll:

At any rate, I'm going to Market Hall Sunday.
Maybe someone will be giving away 1911s
-----------

Jeremae
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jeremae »

I have been extremely happy with my $320 Firestorm Government model 45... In fact if you see one somewhere NIB please tell me as they don't seem to make them anymore.
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

Diode

Post by Diode »

Jeremae wrote:I have been extremely happy with my $320 Firestorm Government model 45... In fact if you see one somewhere NIB please tell me as they don't seem to make them anymore.
Firestar or Firestorm? Firestorm is made by Bersa in Brazil I have a .380 but didnt know they made a .45 I also used ot have a Firestar 9mm and they did make a .45 but went out of business, it was a company in Spain.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Don't forget Charles Daly.

While it's not a "tinker special", they offer a blued 5" 1911 with BoMar-style sights, ambidextrous safety, beavertail, skeletonized trigger, nice checkered hardwood grips, and beveled mag well. MSPR is $589; my local guy will sell it for $475 through Davidson's (and might even beat that price if you give him a call).

They also sell a 3.5" Commander size for the same price.

Man... now I'm rethinking the XD45C... I realllllly want to go to single action only.

Kevin

Return to “Closed Items”