WTB M&P 9mm barrels and mags.

Items listed for over one month, or that were sold are listed here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
chop249
Posts in topic: 4

WTB M&P 9mm barrels and mags.

Post by chop249 »

Looking to buy just the 9mm OEM barrels and mags for the M&P FS and the M&P Shield. Have the .40 versions and would like to be able to swap out to 9s as I feel like it. PM please, I would prefer the Fort Worth area.
Thanks!

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: WTB M&P 9mm barrels and mags.

Post by carlson1 »

I do not have anything to help, but was curious if you have the newer Shield without the thumb safety?

Topic author
chop249

Post by chop249 »

carlson1 wrote:I do not have anything to help, but was curious if you have the newer Shield without the thumb safety?
My father has the thumb safety on the Shield. My FS has no safety. When I purchase my Shield it too will have no safety.

Estand
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Estand »

For the fullsize, you need to get a conversion barrel (covert to 9). Storm lake is the manufacture I recommend. I have one that works great.

I don't have a shield but I have read that the oem 9mm works fine.

Topic author
chop249

Post by chop249 »

Estand wrote:For the fullsize, you need to get a conversion barrel (covert to 9). Storm lake is the manufacture I recommend. I have one that works great.

I don't have a shield but I have read that the oem 9mm works fine.
I've read the the FS OEM works as well for 1/2 the price of the storm lake barrel. Not knocking the SL but I really don't need a match barrel for EDC or ripping paper. :)

Estand
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Estand »

I am no expert, but this is shared and established info I obtained from more than one of the large S&W forums and the same subject continues to be active. And I understand not needing a match barrel, neither did I. But you DO need a conversion barrel. If you had oem 9mm barrel you would see the outer dimensions are smaller than the 40. It will be "loose" in your 40 and lock up will be less than good. People have done it with partial success, but it is reported to be unsafe and less accurate. That is what the conversion barrels are made for. It's basically a 40s&w barrel, with a 9mm chamber and bore. I encourage you to visit one of the S&W forums first. And I don't know what is different about the shield that makes this a non issue.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Estand wrote:I am no expert, but this is shared and established info I obtained from more than one of the large S&W forums and the same subject continues to be active. And I understand not needing a match barrel, neither did I. But you DO need a conversion barrel. If you had oem 9mm barrel you would see the outer dimensions are smaller than the 40. It will be "loose" in your 40 and lock up will be less than good. People have done it with partial success, but it is reported to be unsafe and less accurate. That is what the conversion barrels are made for. It's basically a 40s&w barrel, with a 9mm chamber and bore. I encourage you to visit one of the S&W forums first. And I don't know what is different about the shield that makes this a non issue.
:iagree:
The only thing that could be different is if S&W made the shield OEM barrels the same OD in order to use more of the same parts between the two calibers. I doubt this is the case. I have seen OEM 9mm Glock barrels used in .40 Glocks but it is very loose and I would not trust it.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
chop249

Post by chop249 »

Estand wrote:I am no expert, but this is shared and established info I obtained from more than one of the large S&W forums and the same subject continues to be active. And I understand not needing a match barrel, neither did I. But you DO need a conversion barrel. If you had oem 9mm barrel you would see the outer dimensions are smaller than the 40. It will be "loose" in your 40 and lock up will be less than good. People have done it with partial success, but it is reported to be unsafe and less accurate. That is what the conversion barrels are made for. It's basically a 40s&w barrel, with a 9mm chamber and bore. I encourage you to visit one of the S&W forums first. And I don't know what is different about the shield that makes this a non issue.
Interesting. I haven't seen the forums that mentioned loose or less accurate. Maybe I missed those. Guess I'll look around some more. Thanks for the heads up. That may push me towards just getting a second weapon. By the time you buy the barrel at $150 then a few mags add a couple hundred and you've got a second M&P......

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I have an OEM 9mm barrel for my M&P 40 it fits and functions fine. The 40 mags work OK but, a 9mm mag works best. YMMV :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

I have a full size .40 with a factory 9 barrel & about 7 mags. The mags are on clearance right now at Midway for $25. I bought 6 of em (3 - 9, 3 - 40).

It has fired 9mm perfectly & flawlessly.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Return to “Closed Items”