FS: Winchester Model 12 - REASONABLE OFFER?

Items listed for over one month, or that were sold are listed here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 12

FS: Winchester Model 12 - REASONABLE OFFER?

Post by Oldgringo »

I've neither hunted, nor have I shot any Trap in well over a quarter century. My Skeet guns are long gone as well. In my safe, among a couple of CZ 452's, remains a beautiful, classic shotgun that is in excellent condition. I've no one to leave them to and I certainly don't want Mrs. Oldgringo to get {bamboozled} out of them by some slick talking opportunist should I loose these earthly coils any time soon.

The shotgun is a 12 ga. Winchester Model 12, 3” Heavy Duck that I acquired in '71. I had it custom stocked and Vent Ribbed by Simmons of Olathe, KS. Simmons also jeweled the bolt and follower. As you can see, this gun has seen very little use:

Exalted CHL member, flintnapper, has seen and handled this pristine beauty and can attest to her fit and finish. A Model 12 such as this goes for $800 upwards on Gunbroker. Given the condition of this Model 12 and the fact that they have not been produced in nearly a half century, this classic should easily be worth $600 in person?
Last edited by Oldgringo on Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lena
Posts in topic: 1

Re: FS: Winchester Model 12

Post by Lena »

Finest pump ever made there, I still have my uncles M12 made in 1921, it is a Tournament Grade Trap (marked) with milled vent rib, if you need to date yours or need any info on it let me know. Are the received and barrel proof marks still intact? If it was a field gun they were on the top and will be under the rib now, the factory rib guns they were on the left of center at 10-11 o'clock position.
The problem with M12's is most who want one already have one, the younger shooters are not familiar with them.
Stay Safe

Topic author
Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

This gun has all marks and is otherwise without blemish.

FWIW, there is an outstanding collection of Model 12's in the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, WY should anyone find themselves in that area. Their premier grade Model 12's would sell in the 4-5 figure range IF they were available.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by flintknapper »

Gentlemen, I will gladly attest to the condition of the Model 12.

I have seen it personally, handled it and looked it over carefully.

It IS every bit as good as represented (IMO better).

For the asking price....you will not find a better specimen.

Flint
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Steve

Post by Steve »

That's a wonderful shotgun at a nice price. I hope it finds a good home. It looks immaculate in those photos too.

BTW how long is the barrel, I assume it's a 30"?

Topic author
Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Thank you Steve and Flint for the nice comments. It is indeed a beautiful, well kept gun; IMO, this is not a 'truck gun'. This gun is something to pass down, father to son, father to son. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

Yes, it has a 30" barrel and a 3" chamber. Back in the day, there was a short barreled riot gun version of the Model 12.

Thanks again.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Bump to top

Topic author
Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

flintknapper wrote:Bump to top
Thanks for the bump, Flint.

This 12 ga. shotgun that has some extras, like our fully equipped Travel Trailer, will find a happy new home once the right people see them.

:cheers2:

Topic author
Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

FATHERS' DAY: This 12 ga. magnum shotgun would make an ideal gift for the Father who almost has everything. :txflag:

Topic author
Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

It appears that Flintnapper and I are the only ones who think this Model 12 is worth $600?

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Oldgringo wrote:It appears that Flintnapper and I are the only ones who think this Model 12 is worth $600?

No I also think it well worth the asking price, but SWMBO has put me on a gun buying hiatus for a while, (I messed up and told her that with my son's new rifle I will have to get a bigger safe if I buy another one) It is a beautiful shotgun, though, maybe with dove season approaching someone will be more inclined to buy it. Good luck with the sale, I have checked back on it several times, and if I get the go ahead in the near future, and you still have it, I may send you a PM.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Jusme wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:It appears that Flintnapper and I are the only ones who think this Model 12 is worth $600?

No I also think it well worth the asking price, but SWMBO has put me on a gun buying hiatus for a while, (I messed up and told her that with my son's new rifle I will have to get a bigger safe if I buy another one) It is a beautiful shotgun, though, maybe with dove season approaching someone will be more inclined to buy it. Good luck with the sale, I have checked back on it several times, and if I get the go ahead in the near future, and you still have it, I may send you a PM.
Thank you.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Jusme wrote:

You will not be disappointed, should you decide to look at or purchase the shotgun.

It really is in fantastic shape. One might think the 30" barrel unwieldy (depending upon application), but the shotgun 'points' quite easily and has a natural balance.

The 'fit' and finish are unlike anything you will find today in a pump shotgun. The bluing is deep and lustrous, the wood is very, very nice and it is evident the firearm has been lovingly cared for. It simply isn't possible to capture the aesthetic appeal in photos, they just don't show the quality that is there. I was sorely tempted to buy it when I was there looking at the O/U that was previously up for sale.

If anyone is looking for a quality shotgun, this one fits the bill. My hope is that someone will purchase it, use it, then pass it on to a person who is deserving. It is that kind of firearm.

Topic author
Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Thanks Flint,

It's too pretty to hunt with IMO; however, it was produced for hunting. The 3", 12 ga. Model 12 is still available and hunting season is nigh.

Topic author
Oldgringo

Re: FS: Winchester Model 12 - REASONAL OFFER?

Post by Oldgringo »

Apparently, there are only a couple of us who think this classic shotgun is worth $600. Did I mention that a hard case and a couple boxes of 12 ga. shells come with it? I'd be happy to entertain reasonable offers

Return to “Closed Items”