any info on HB3218?

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 10

Re: any info on HB3218?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

ALCSTUDIOS wrote:This is my favorite bill of the entire session but is it possible that it was introduced too late to make it to the floor for a vote?
No, bills are not taken in filing order. For example, HB47 reducing the classroom hours for a new CHL hasn't come up for committee hearing, but several bills with a much higher bill number (ex. HB700) were heard yesterday.

Chas.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RoyGBiv »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:Hmmmm... On closer reading this bill would not allow CHL's in schools (prohibited by 46.03 (1)).
I suppose it isn't realistic to expect that restriction to go away at this time.
This bill is a HUGE step in a good direction, however. Hopefully it will pass into law.
HB3218 exempts CHLs from both TPC §46.02 and §46.03. (See Section 5 of the Bill beginning on page 6.) We would be able to carry everywhere a LEO can carry.

Chas.
Ahhh.. Ok.. I found it in section 5 (5)... Excellent.!!!

:tiphat:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Panda
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Panda »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:Hmmmm... On closer reading this bill would not allow CHL's in schools (prohibited by 46.03 (1)).
I suppose it isn't realistic to expect that restriction to go away at this time.
This bill is a HUGE step in a good direction, however. Hopefully it will pass into law.
HB3218 exempts CHLs from both TPC §46.02 and §46.03. (See Section 5 of the Bill beginning on page 6.) We would be able to carry everywhere a LEO can carry.

Chas.
That sounds great but what about the 46.035 restrictions like your kid's high school football game?

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Panda wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote: HB3218 exempts CHLs from both TPC §46.02 and §46.03. (See Section 5 of the Bill beginning on page 6.) We would be able to carry everywhere a LEO can carry.

Chas.
That sounds great but what about the 46.035 restrictions like your kid's high school football game?
I think gangs can carry there if they have proper tats or clothing choices to identify their affiliation..
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Panda wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
Those are repealed also. See Section 4 on page 2 of the Bill. In fact, the only provisions of TPC §46.035 that remain are 1) requirement to conceal; and 2) carrying while intoxicated.

Chas.

Jaguar
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jaguar »

Wow, this is a GREAT bill.

I noticed it lowers the penalty of carrying while intoxicated to a class C misdemeanor, unless previously conviced in which case it goes to class B. Wondering what your thoughts were on that?
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

ALCSTUDIOS

Post by ALCSTUDIOS »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
ALCSTUDIOS wrote:This is my favorite bill of the entire session but is it possible that it was introduced too late to make it to the floor for a vote?
No, bills are not taken in filing order. For example, HB47 reducing the classroom hours for a new CHL hasn't come up for committee hearing, but several bills with a much higher bill number (ex. HB700) were heard yesterday.

Chas.
Thank you for the clarification sir.
NRA,GOA,TFC TSRA & SAF member

dicion

Post by dicion »

I love this bill as well. It truly is pretty darn close to the 'holy grail' of CHL bills.
Combine this bill with the the bill that creates a fine for posting a 30.06 on government property.. oh man. It's glorious.

Which leads me to ask, based on one of Charles' comments in another thread...

Was this bill saved for the last possible day to file for that exact reason? To give opponents the least amount of time to prepare against it?

dicion

Post by dicion »

Here's some more info on it from the Author:

http://votedrewspringer.com/weekly-sess ... -deadline/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
People that have concealed handgun licenses (CHL) and have gone through the trouble of legally registering with the state are not the people committing crimes with guns. As such, they should not be limited to where they can carry and protect themselves and their loved ones. I have filed HB 3218, the ‘CHL Everywhere’ bill, to remove the majority of restrictions away from CHL holders and allow them more flexibility to exercise their Second Amendment rights. I have also filed HB 698 to simplify the process of getting a CHL license for citizens of rural counties.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Jaguar wrote:Wow, this is a GREAT bill.

I noticed it lowers the penalty of carrying while intoxicated to a class C misdemeanor, unless previously conviced in which case it goes to class B. Wondering what your thoughts were on that?
I wrote it, so I'm not exactly unbiased.

One year in jail and/or a $4,000 fine for what amounts to public intoxication is absurd. If a CHL drives while intoxicated, then they can/will/should be hit with a DWI and the Class C carrying while intoxicated. If they are drunk and waive the gun around, fire it, threaten or harm someone, there are other serious charges than can be brought. At the end of the day, this is an issue only if a CHL is drunk and armed, but no others laws were broken.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

dicion wrote:I love this bill as well. It truly is pretty darn close to the 'holy grail' of CHL bills.
Combine this bill with the the bill that creates a fine for posting a 30.06 on government property.. oh man. It's glorious.

Which leads me to ask, based on one of Charles' comments in another thread...

Was this bill saved for the last possible day to file for that exact reason? To give opponents the least amount of time to prepare against it?
I'll tell you the whole story, but I can't until after the session is over. Remember to ask me, because I promise I'll forget.

Chas.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

So what's next as far as call to action type stuff? I know that on the other bills, timing was critical in that calling & emailing too early wouldn't be good. But this seems like it will be cutting it awfully close.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

TexasCajun wrote:So what's next as far as call to action type stuff? I know that on the other bills, timing was critical in that calling & emailing too early wouldn't be good. But this seems like it will be cutting it awfully close.
Rep. Springer is a freshman and we need to give him a little more time to learn the ropes. I plan to start pushing this bill earlier than most because it is, in my view, the gold standard for CHL bills. I probably will issue something Monday. I want to have an article about it and the track record of CHL's ready to send.

Thanks for asking.
Chas.

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Jaguar wrote:Wow, this is a GREAT bill.

I wrote it, so I'm not exactly unbiased.

One year in jail and/or a $4,000 fine for what amounts to public intoxication is absurd. If a CHL drives while intoxicated, then they can/will/should be hit with a DWI and the Class C carrying while intoxicated. If they are drunk and waive the gun around, fire it, threaten or harm someone, there are other serious charges than can be brought. At the end of the day, this is an issue only if a CHL is drunk and armed, but no others laws were broken.

Chas.
Thank you Charles, that does make perfect sense when it is put that way. I appreciate the thought process behind it and believe when you put that way I can be behind it 100%. Guess that is why you get the big bucks. :thumbs2:

So allow me to reiterate, this is a GREAT bill!
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

Jeff Barriault

Post by Jeff Barriault »

Okay Charles, I have my letter written. Just waiting for the call to action with directions on where to send it. Thanks for all your hard work.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”