Texas house bill 383

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
infoman
Posts in topic: 1

Texas house bill 383

Post by infoman »

I love house bill 383!

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Texas house bill 383

Post by AEA »

Care to elaborate a bit on your post above?
HB383 (Burnam, D-F): Relating to the recognition and validity of a license to carry a concealed handgun issued by another state. Impact: Makes it illegal for a Texas resident to carry a handgun using a concealed-carry license issued by another state. Status: Filed. Position on bill: Oppose.

Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

while I would like to see all gun restrictive laws go away, I like this idea, make the same as a DL you should have to apply for a TX Chl within 30 days, your out of state license should be enough to get a Tx license, but you should still have to have a Tx License if your a Tx resident.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

My dad used to live in Indiana 6 months every year, and here for the Winters;
Twice a year/ every 6 months apply for new driver's license plus chl course?
really?
If snowbirds need 2 drivers licenses/car registrations/license plates/CHLs when maintaining 2 residences; they'd probably just all go to Florida for 6 months each year with their money instead.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

RPB wrote:My dad used to live in Indiana 6 months every year, and here for the Winters;
really?
If snowbirds need 2 drivers licenses/car registrations/license plates/CHLs when maintaining 2 residences; they'd probably just all go to Florida for 6 months each year with their money instead.
If you have property here in Texas you do not need to get a new DL every time. At most if you rent, just update the address. That costs what, $25?

Sounds reasonable to me.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

cyphur wrote:
RPB wrote:My dad used to live in Indiana 6 months every year, and here for the Winters;
really?
If you have property here in Texas you do not need to get a new DL every time. At most if you rent, just update the address. That costs what, $25?

Sounds reasonable to me.
Have you had a chance to look at the bill or the person who is sponsoring it? He is "F" rated and has a history of liberal/progressive legislation.

I don't think this is a good bill. For anyone.

(Edited to make the post a little more polite)
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

2firfun50
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 2firfun50 »

really?
I see the residency issue a little different. Where are you eligible to vote, if you so choose? Where have you declared you legal residency? Vote in Texas, then you are a Texas resident. You need a Texas CHL. Just because one travels around and "camps out elsewhere does not effect your legal voting status.

Texas CHL eligibility requires one to be a legal Texas resident for at least 6 months.

(1) is a legal resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date of application under this subchapter or is otherwise eligible for a license under Section 411.173(a);

The following 2 requirements totally stick in my craw and I will never support a Texas resident carrying on only on an out of state CHL without their removal. If you want to get additional out-of-state CHL to pick up additional states when travelling thats cool.

(10) has not been finally determined to be delinquent in making a child support payment administered or collected by the attorney general;
(11) has not been finally determined to be delinquent in the payment of a tax or other money collected by the comptroller, the tax collector of a political subdivision of the state, or any agency or subdivision of the state;

In my opinion, neither requirement has anything to do with CHL, but they are on the books.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

It doesn't sound like a very good bill to me. I wouldn't support this bill.
Charles L. Cotton wrote:HB383 by Burnam: Prohibiting Texas residents from carrying on an out-of-state license
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I don't like this bill and I don't want it to pass. The fact that Lon Burnam is rated F is the best thing we have going for us. That said, requiring Texans to have a Texas CHL will not impact reciprocity. In fact, a few states have already passed such legislation and more are going to do so as time goes on. We can thank those like the online Virginia instructor/class for this bill being filed again.

The best approach is to remove the incentives to get out of state licenses like reducing the time required for the initial CHL and removing successfully completed deferred adjudications from the definition of "conviction."

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

2firfun50 wrote:
really?
I see the residency issue a little different. Where are you eligible to vote, if you so choose? Where have you declared you legal residency? Vote in Texas, then you are a Texas resident. You need a Texas CHL. Just because one travels around and "camps out elsewhere does not effect your legal voting status.

Texas CHL eligibility requires one to be a legal Texas resident for at least 6 months.

(1) is a legal resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date of application under this subchapter or is otherwise eligible for a license under Section 411.173(a);

The following 2 requirements totally stick in my craw and I will never support a Texas resident carrying on only on an out of state CHL without their removal. If you want to get additional out-of-state CHL to pick up additional states when travelling thats cool.

(10) has not been finally determined to be delinquent in making a child support payment administered or collected by the attorney general;
(11) has not been finally determined to be delinquent in the payment of a tax or other money collected by the comptroller, the tax collector of a political subdivision of the state, or any agency or subdivision of the state;

In my opinion, neither requirement has anything to do with CHL, but they are on the books.
No, it doesn't. Read 411.173(a)
§ 411.173. NONRESIDENT LICENSE. (a) The department by
rule shall establish a procedure for a person who meets the
eligibility requirements of this subchapter other than the
residency requirement established by Section 411.172(a)(1) to
obtain a license under this subchapter if the person is a legal
resident of another state or if the person relocates to this state
with the intent to establish residency in this state.
The procedure
must include payment of a fee in an amount sufficient to recover the
average cost to the department of obtaining a criminal history
record check and investigation on a nonresident applicant. A
license issued in accordance with the procedure established under
this subsection:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

If old Loon and his Brady brothers get this passed in Texas, I would change my CHL and my DL to another state. I wouldn't want someone to see a Texas ID and assume I was anti gun. :ack:

It's shameful enough Texas still outlaws classroom carry and open carry. :nono:
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

sjfcontrol wrote:
2firfun50 wrote:
really?

The procedure
this subsection:
I believe this relates to Texas issuing a Non-resident license, not to an established Texas resident carrying on an out of state license. The only requirement waived is the 6 month residency, not the taxes or child support portions.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

2firfun50 wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
2firfun50 wrote:
really?

The procedure
this subsection:
I believe this relates to Texas issuing a Non-resident license, not to an established Texas resident carrying on an out of state license. The only requirement waived is the 6 month residency, not the taxes or child support portions.
I was commenting only on your statement that there is a 6 month waiting period. There isn't. If you are not a resident of Texas you can get a non-resident license. If you intend to become a resident, you are eligible on day one.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

S_3

Post by S_3 »

infoman wrote:I love house bill 383!
Me too. It's a great litmus test for who trusts Californians and New Yorkers more than they trust Texans.
When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom:
"S times 3"

2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

sjfcontrol wrote:
2firfun50 wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
2firfun50 wrote:
really?

The procedure
this subsection:
I was commenting only on your statement that there is a 6 month waiting period. There isn't. If you are not a resident of Texas you can get a non-resident license. If you intend to become a resident, you are eligible on day one.
Ok I'm with you now. Good point.

thorkyl

Post by thorkyl »

The general idea for this bill is simple...

1 I can go get a Utah or Florida non resident license
2 I can have my Texas CHL

3 If my Texas CHL expires my non-resident from other state is valid
Texas says no, if you are a Texas resident then you must use the Texas CHL

However it does hurt people moving here from other States that have CHL's from their home State
---
http://www.secondamendmentmarch.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beyond Bitter, now I am just plain MAD
I know how many I own, not enough...

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”