UPDATE: 1/20/13

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bizarrenormality

Re: UPDATE: 1/20/13

Post by bizarrenormality »

baldeagle wrote:
tacticool wrote:While I appreciate the discount, I am sometimes bothered by the fact that my native Texan trauma nurse neighbor has to pay more than a Yankee who did a hitch in the motor pool after high school to see the world and learn a trade.
I despise the denigration of people who do so-called menial jobs (like the motor pool). Every job is meaningful, no matter how menial it might seem. Every job is necessary for the military to function.
How do you feel about people who denigrate nurses, med techs and EMTs? And do you think it's because they don't have a MD or because they chose to make a career of saving lives?

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

RoyGBiv wrote:
DEB wrote:
fickman wrote:I don't begrudge veterans getting a discount.

However, our fee is oppressive for many middle class single income families with kids...and it's considerably higher than many other states.
:iagree: I don't know about economy of scale, but $145 for a CHL I believe is too much.
:iagree: Texas CHL fees are too high. Why can AZ get it done for $60 and VA for $50 but TX is nearly triple?
And that doesn't include the ~$100 cost of the class.
:iagree: Until they fix the problem of high fees, I will continue to steer people toward other states.

Someone can get both a DL and CHL in many other states for less than a Texas CHL, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some people do that if Loony Burnout gets his way. Some of those states have lower vehicle registration fees too, so it could be a trifecta in effect-a. :lol:

If Texas sized fees drive people to get their paperwork from more reasonably priced states, the legislature only have to look in the mirror to find the reason.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 5

Post by baldeagle »

bizarrenormality wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
tacticool wrote:While I appreciate the discount, I am sometimes bothered by the fact that my native Texan trauma nurse neighbor has to pay more than a Yankee who did a hitch in the motor pool after high school to see the world and learn a trade.
I despise the denigration of people who do so-called menial jobs (like the motor pool). Every job is meaningful, no matter how menial it might seem. Every job is necessary for the military to function.
How do you feel about people who denigrate nurses, med techs and EMTs? And do you think it's because they don't have a MD or because they chose to make a career of saving lives?
My wife is a nurse. What do you think?

To clarify, NO job is worthy of denigration, because EVERY job is necessary.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmra »

baldeagle wrote:
bizarrenormality wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
My wife is a nurse. What do you think?

To clarify, NO job is worthy of denigration, because EVERY job is necessary.
There may be a few DC jobs that aren't that necessary. But otherwise :iagree:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RiverCity.45
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RiverCity.45 »

bizarrenormality wrote: :iagree: Until they fix the problem of high fees, I will continue to steer people toward other states.
Isn't there a proposed bill that will invalidate out-of-state licenses for residents of Texas? In other words, for your out-of-state license to be valid in Texas, the proposed legislation will require you to actually live in that state. Who knows whether it will pass.
Ah, yes. Here it is. HB 383 (http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=HB383):
"SECTION 1. Section 411.173, Government Code, is amended by
adding Subsection (b-1) to read as follows:
(b-1) Notwithstanding Subsection (b), a person ’s license to
carry a concealed handgun issued by another state may not be
recognized and is not valid in this state if the person has
established a domicile in this state. For purposes of this
subsection, "domicile" has the meaning assigned by Section 522.003,
Transportation Code."
9/21/09 - Received license
"Nothing is so dangerous as an idea when it is the only one you have." - Emile Chartier

ErnieP

Post by ErnieP »

AEA wrote:After this Legislative Session, you will no longer be able to carry under a "Out of State" license if you are a Texas Resident. Get used to it! Texas needs money too!
Due to the number of applications being received, I did not receive my renewal until after the expiration date. It was Most Helpful to have the extra license as a buffer until the TX License arrived. If they do away with this option, some provision needs to be made to cover those with "submitted" but not yet issued, until issued or rejected.

Longhorn-breeder

Post by Longhorn-breeder »

Or since the Liz ence has an expiration date you should get your application in the works in time
Longhorn-breeder
Central TX

johnferg69

Post by johnferg69 »

I don't begrudge vets for getting a discount. However I wonder why I can work for TDCJs seg department filled with the worst criminals in the system and many DO get released but I don't qualify for a discount? I can't count the number of times an offender has threatened retaliation after they're released. And yes I have ran into ex-offenders in the free world, no incidents thank God!
But for some reason when I've mentioned COs getting a discount people get upset!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

bizarrenormality wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
DEB wrote:

However, our fee is oppressive for many middle class single income families with kids...and it's considerably higher than many other states.
:iagree: I don't know about economy of scale, but $145 for a CHL I believe is too much.
:iagree: Texas CHL fees are too high. Why can AZ get it done for $60 and VA for $50 but TX is nearly triple?
And that doesn't include the ~$100 cost of the class.
:iagree: Until they fix the problem of high fees, I will continue to steer people toward other states.

Someone can get both a DL and CHL in many other states for less than a Texas CHL, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some people do that if Loony Burnout gets his way. Some of those states have lower vehicle registration fees too, so it could be a trifecta in effect-a. :lol:

If Texas sized fees drive people to get their paperwork from more reasonably priced states, the legislature only have to look in the mirror to find the reason.
Isn't living in and being a resident of one state and having DL from another state illegal? I thought it was.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

thechl

Post by thechl »

Most states give you 30 days to get your DL once you've established residency. If stopped after that 30-day period the officer was kind enough to remind me to get it done immediately! :???:

Richard_B
Banned

Post by Richard_B »

However, our fee is oppressive for many middle class single income families with kids...and it's considerably higher than many other states. Shouldn't there be some sort of economy of scale benefit that makes a larger state's program cheaper to run per person than a smaller state's?
All true and for reasons you have already guessed. Poll taxes were outlawed because they discouraged the exercise of constitutionally protected voting rights. Sound familiar?

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 5

Post by baldeagle »

Richard_B wrote:

However, our fee is oppressive for many middle class single income families with kids...and it's considerably higher than many other states. Shouldn't there be some sort of economy of scale benefit that makes a larger state's program cheaper to run per person than a smaller state's?
All true and for reasons you have already guessed. Poll taxes were outlawed because they discouraged the exercise of constitutionally protected voting rights. Sound familiar?
Yes, but voting is so much more important than self defense...... :biggrinjester:
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”