UPDATE: 1/20/13

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

UPDATE: 1/20/13

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

HB485 - Lowers CHL fees for veterans to $25.

SB182 - Campus-carry.

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Re: UPDATE: 1/20/13

Post by jmra »

:thumbs2:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Krampus
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Krampus »

I never understood why someone who owns property in Texas and pays property taxes here should pay more for a Texas CHL than somebody in California who served a few years in the national guard 20 years ago. It's no suprise more and more Texas residents are opting to get a nonresident license from a more reasonably priced state if they're not eligible for discount prices in Texas.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Krampus wrote:I never understood why someone who owns property in Texas and pays property taxes here should pay more for a Texas CHL than somebody in California who served a few years in the national guard 20 years ago. It's no suprise more and more Texas residents are opting to get a nonresident license from a more reasonably priced state if they're not eligible for discount prices in Texas.
You must be a real bummer at some one else's birthday party.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 5

Post by baldeagle »

Krampus wrote:I never understood why someone who owns property in Texas and pays property taxes here should pay more for a Texas CHL than somebody in California who served a few years in the national guard 20 years ago. It's no suprise more and more Texas residents are opting to get a nonresident license from a more reasonably priced state if they're not eligible for discount prices in Texas.
About 7% of the US population is veterans. Those are people who served their country when others chose not to, some for 20 years or more. And you're going to begrudge those people because they get a discount on the CHL and use that as an excuse to get yours somewhere else? Wow! Just wow!
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

AEA

Post by AEA »

After this Legislative Session, you will no longer be able to carry under a "Out of State" license if you are a Texas Resident. Get used to it! Texas needs money too!
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Krampus

Post by Krampus »

AEA wrote:After this Legislative Session, you will no longer be able to carry under a "Out of State" license if you are a Texas Resident. Get used to it! Texas needs money too!
That's a cute story but it makes no sense. If they want more money why are they giving discounts to some nonresidents? No other state I know does that. If there are tiered prices in other states, it's usually for nonresidents to pay more than residents, no matter who their current or past employers are.

fickman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fickman »

I don't begrudge veterans getting a discount.

However, our fee is oppressive for many middle class single income families with kids...and it's considerably higher than many other states. Shouldn't there be some sort of economy of scale benefit that makes a larger state's program cheaper to run per person than a smaller state's?
Native Texian

AEA

Post by AEA »

Texas does not give discounts to non-residents.

Wake up....read the Bill list that has been filed. It will pass. No more Out of State licenses will be acceptable for Texas Residents.

HB383 (Burnam, D-F): Relating to the recognition and validity of a license to carry a concealed handgun issued by another state. Impact: Makes it illegal for a Texas resident to carry a handgun using a concealed-carry license issued by another state. Status: Filed.
1911's RULE!

Krampus

Post by Krampus »

You sound like you voted for Burnam so let's agree to disagree.

AEA

Post by AEA »

Krampus wrote:You sound like you voted for Burnam so let's agree to disagree.
I did not vote for him. But, tell you what.........I will agree to ignore you.
Last edited by AEA on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1911's RULE!

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

Krampus wrote:That's a cute story but it makes no sense. If they want more money why are they giving discounts to some nonresidents? No other state I know does that. If there are tiered prices in other states, it's usually for nonresidents to pay more than residents, no matter who their current or past employers are.
HB383: Relating to the recognition and validity of a license to carry a concealed handgun issued by another state.

Full text is at that link.

As for discounts to non-residents, ANY veteran who served honorably is DESERVING of special benefits (in some areas) due to their service. They put their rear ends on the line so that we could enjoy the freedoms our Founding Fathers bequeathed to us. I've got zero problem whatsoever with giving a vet who happens to be from California a discount on their Texas CHL.

FYI, I actually hope the above bill (HB383) doesn't pass. I don't really think it's necessary and isn't that big of a deal. Most Texans will get a Texas CHL anyway, simply because of the benefits (GFSZ exemption, no NICS when purchasing, etc). And if other bills that are reducing the time and/or fees pass, that will make it that much easier.

But knocking on vets? :nono: Not cool.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

AEA wrote:Texas does not give discounts to non-residents.

Wake up....read the Bill list that has been filed. It will pass. No more Out of State licenses will be acceptable for Texas Residents.

HB383 (Burnam, D-F): Relating to the recognition and validity of a license to carry a concealed handgun issued by another state. Impact: Makes it illegal for a Texas resident to carry a handgun using a concealed-carry license issued by another state. Status: Filed.
Well, I disagree that it will pass. Even Charles is opposed to it (and that is one VERY smart man). Other than that: :iagree:

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

For some reason, [Member name deleted by Moderator] decided to PM me instead of just posting publicly. Considering what he sent, I can understand why.
Krampus wrote:[Private PM was deleted by Moderator.]
First, I'm not a liberal. If you had been here for longer than 5 minutes, you'd know that.

Second, non-residents and residents ARE treated equally under the law. There is no cost difference between CHL fees for a Texas resident vs a non-resident. So A = B. Now C (veterans) have a discount due to their service.

And third, don't bother sending me another PM. This is a public discussion on a public forum. I'm sure everyone here would be interested in your...insights. "rlol"

SF18C
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SF18C »

Dang, the wife and I just paid the $72 each last week! (We are both Vets).

oh well it is well worth it and it does my heart good to see Texas take Military service in to account!
Tis better to die on your feet than live on your knees!

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”