HB 1009

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
MikeHoncho
Posts in topic: 2

HB 1009

Post by MikeHoncho »

School Marshal bill. What is TSRA's stance on this bill?

Topic author
MikeHoncho

Re: HB 1009

Post by MikeHoncho »

No one has any info/opinions?

smtimelevi

Post by smtimelevi »

Looks like a a bill from last session unless I'm mistaken?

http://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB1009/id/308940" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike1951 »

HB 1009 Author: Villalba Sponsor:
Last Action: 02/06/2013 H Filed
Caption Version: Introduced
Caption: Relating to the creation of a new category of law enforcement officer who shall be designated a school marshal, the training and appointment of certain employees of a school district or open-enrollment charter school as school marshals, and the rights, restrictions, limitations, and responsibilities of school marshals; authorizing the imposition of a fee.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

smtimelevi

Post by smtimelevi »

Interesting. This is the first I've herd of this. I don't really see the need for it here. In San Antonio most of the school districts have their own Police Dept's. I'm not sure if they are staffed well enough but they ought to be. I dont know if the specific PD's for school districts exist in the rest of Texas but I think that they should be able to handle security. I dont really see the need to create new laws to do something that is already being done.

HK_USP_45
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HK_USP_45 »

Here's my problem with this bill. It creates a new class of "peace officer" and mentions the ability to arrest. But, it states that a School Marshal that is in contact with students as their primary duty cannot carry the weapon on their person. They have to lock it up. That will remove over 85% of the school staff from being able to carry concealed which will greatly impact response time. There is adaquate law on the books now to allow school staff to conceal carry with a CHL and allow the local school district to determine the requirements. The school staff does not need powers of arrest above what is allowed by any citizen. This is a bad law.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”