More pro gun bills introduced

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

More pro gun bills introduced

Post by baldeagle »

HB 1077 by Rep. Tim Kleinschmidt would prohibit institutions of higher education from enforcing policies preventing students from lawfully transporting and storing legally-owned firearms in their locked private motor vehicles parked on-campus.

HB 1078 by Rep. Tim Kleinschmidt eliminates the criminal penalty against Concealed Handgun Licensees carrying for protection on the premises of an institution of higher education.

HB 1142 by Rep. James White allows school districts to offer an elective course in firearms for grades 9-12, to include instruction on the history of the Second Amendment and safety training and be taught by a qualified CHL instructor or peace officer.

HB 1194 by Rep. Chris Paddie allows open carry as an option for Texas Concealed Handgun Licensees, similar to legislation filed by Rep. George Lavender (HB 700).

HB 1298 by Rep. Jonathan Stickland aims to remove restrictions on Concealed Handgun Licensees carrying in locations where a school field trip is occurring, if the CHL is not a student, teacher, administrator or chaperone on the field trip.

HB 1304 by Rep. Kenneth Sheets protects against inadvertent or accidental display of a handgun by a Concealed Handgun Licensee, similar to legislation filed by Sen. Craig Estes (SB 299).
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 3

Re: More pro gun bills introduced

Post by MeMelYup »

baldeagle wrote:HB 1077 by Rep. Tim Kleinschmidt would prohibit institutions of higher education from enforcing policies preventing students from lawfully transporting and storing legally-owned firearms in their locked private motor vehicles parked on-campus.

HB 1078 by Rep. Tim Kleinschmidt eliminates the criminal penalty against Concealed Handgun Licensees carrying for protection on the premises of an institution of higher education.

HB 1142 by Rep. James White allows school districts to offer an elective course in firearms for grades 9-12, to include instruction on the history of the Second Amendment and safety training and be taught by a qualified CHL instructor or peace officer.

HB 1194 by Rep. Chris Paddie allows open carry as an option for Texas Concealed Handgun Licensees, similar to legislation filed by Rep. George Lavender (HB 700).

HB 1298 by Rep. Jonathan Stickland aims to remove restrictions on Concealed Handgun Licensees carrying in locations where a school field trip is occurring, if the CHL is not a student, teacher, administrator or chaperone on the field trip.

HB 1304 by Rep. Kenneth Sheets protects against inadvertent or accidental display of a handgun by a Concealed Handgun Licensee, similar to legislation filed by Sen. Craig Estes (SB 299).
Read this one and think about it. This would require an instructor that is a CHL or Police Officer, that is NRA certified and a history teacher well versed in the U.S. Constitution with emphasis on the 2nd Amendment.

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Post by baldeagle »

MeMelYup wrote:
baldeagle wrote:HB 1142 by Rep. James White allows school districts to offer an elective course in firearms for grades 9-12, to include instruction on the history of the Second Amendment and safety training and be taught by a qualified CHL instructor or peace officer.
Read this one and think about it. This would require an instructor that is a CHL or Police Officer, that is NRA certified and a history teacher well versed in the U.S. Constitution with emphasis on the 2nd Amendment.
Is that a problem?
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

baldeagle wrote:HB 1078 by Rep. Tim Kleinschmidt eliminates the criminal penalty against Concealed Handgun Licensees carrying for protection on the premises of an institution of higher education.
Great idea.... :hurry: :hurry:

Not sure it's very clear as written.
Also, I assume any posted 30.06 would not apply to public schools?
(a) A person commits an offense .......<snip>........ unless:
(B) the person possesses or goes with a concealed
handgun that the person is licensed to carry pursuant to a license
issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on the
premises of an institution of higher education or private or
independent institution of higher education, on any grounds or
building on which an activity sponsored by the institution is being
conducted, or on a passenger transportation vehicle of the
institution;
The ignorance of making schools "gun free zones" still takes my breath away.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

baldeagle wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
baldeagle wrote:HB 1142 by Rep. James White allows school districts to offer an elective course in firearms for grades 9-12, to include instruction on the history of the Second Amendment and safety training and be taught by a qualified CHL instructor or peace officer.
Is that a problem?
Yes. The way it is written the CHL or Police Officer would be responsible for teaching the history of the 2nd Amendment.

Wes

Post by Wes »

Being an instructor or Leo does not apply to teaching the second amendment, here is a link to the full bill

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 01142I.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Wes wrote:Being an instructor or Leo does not apply to teaching the second amendment, here is a link to the full bill

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 01142I.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tks, that makes it clear.

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

RoyGBiv wrote:
baldeagle wrote:HB 1078 by Rep. Tim Kleinschmidt eliminates the criminal penalty against Concealed Handgun Licensees carrying for protection on the premises of an institution of higher education.
It's good, but it's not enough. It would make campus carry not a crime but would not prevent colleges from adopting a policy against it. In other words, if you got caught carrying, you couldn't be arrested for it, but you could still be expelled. I'd rather have this than nothing, but last year's bill was much better.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

TrueFlog wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
It's good, but it's not enough. It would make campus carry not a crime but would not prevent colleges from adopting a policy against it. In other words, if you got caught carrying, you couldn't be arrested for it, but you could still be expelled. I'd rather have this than nothing, but last year's bill was much better.
If this passed, I might go inside a college building again and get a third degree.

If anyone can see a Seecamp (or even several of the 380s I have) in my front pocket (no one sees my Glock 26 there now) I'd be super surprised since those are tiny in comparison. The only time it'd be seen, is if it was needed.

Read Unarmed and Vulnerable" https://www.google.com/search?q=Unarmed ... =firefox-a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Brandon Wiles wrote it, a student at Virginia Tech, a year BEFORE the massacre, because they had a "policy" against concealed carry, though legal. soooo massacre was foreseeable

Carry was completely legal at Virginia Tech during the massacre, but the school had a no gun policy, so no one did, and they paid millions for failing to protect the students while disallowing self-protection

Rationale: carry legally, be alive but potentially expelled for living/defending yourself in emergency which might also save others or follow school policy go unarmed, even though legal, play possum and die but not get expelled so ghost can graduate with degree and pursue chosen career.
Since a ghost's career wouldn't be real productive, an expulsion is just a minor inconvenience if the education had to continue elsewhere or have a semester or two off prior to returning...alive.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”