Gun bills on the Senate floor today

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 4

Gun bills on the Senate floor today

Post by baldeagle »

SB 481 - Relating to the recognition and validity of a license to carry a concealed handgun issued by another state. - BAD BILL

This bill eliminates carry with a license from another state if your domicile is Texas. This will hurt people in the military, people who live here but work outside the state a lot and can't get back in time to renew and others. I don't think it will pass. It failed to clear the intent calendar and had to use the normal process to come to the floor.

HB 333 - Relating to requiring notice of a hotel's firearms policy and other guest policies; providing a criminal penalty.

This bill requires hotels to post their firearms policy on their internet website and to notify guests who register of their policy. Provides for a $100 fine if they fail to do so.

HB 485 - Relating to the amount of the fees paid by certain peace officers, correctional officers, members of the state military forces, and veterans of the armed forces for a license to carry a concealed handgun and to the issuance of such a license to certain peace officers and members of the state military forces; authorizing a fee.

This bill drops the fee for CHL to $25 for LEOs, veterans and state military forces. It will almost certainly pass. No politician wants to vote against LEOs, veterans and military.

HB 698 - Relating to certain procedures for submitting legible and classifiable fingerprints with an application for a license to carry a concealed handgun.

This bill will help people in rural areas who have had to drive as much as 250 miles to get fingerprints. It requires DPS to come up with procedures to deal with people who do not live within 25 miles of a L1 franchise. I think this will probably pass on a voice vote.
Last edited by baldeagle on Thu May 16, 2013 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

2firfun50
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun bills on the Senate floor today

Post by 2firfun50 »

SB 481 - Relating to the recognition and validity of a license to carry a concealed handgun issued by another state. - BAD BILL

This bill eliminates carry with a license from another state if your domicile is Texas. This will hurt people in the military, people who live here but work outside the state a lot and can't get back in time to renew and others. I don't think it will pass. It failed to clear the intent calendar and had to use the normal process to come to the floor.
Let me ask a question. Would most of the concerns about this bill be resolved by HB48 which would provide for basically an on-line renew from anywhere?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

baldeagle wrote:SB 481 - Relating to the recognition and validity of a license to carry a concealed handgun issued by another state. - BAD BILL

Are you sure about SB481? I can't find anything indicating it's on the Intent Calendar and I have not received any notices.

Chas.

brhalltx

Post by brhalltx »

baldeagle wrote:HB 333 - Relating to certain procedures for submitting legible and classifiable fingerprints with an application for a license to carry a concealed handgun.
This bill requires hotels to post their firearms policy on their internet website and to notify guests who register of their policy. Provides for a $100 fine if they fail to do so.
The summary on this one is wrong... I was trying to figure out why hotels were requiring fingerprints.

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
baldeagle wrote:SB 481 - Relating to the recognition and validity of a license to carry a concealed handgun issued by another state. - BAD BILL

Are you sure about SB481? I can't find anything indicating it's on the Intent Calendar and I have not received any notices.

Chas.
It was listed on the Calendar for second reading. http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 130515.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

brhalltx wrote:
baldeagle wrote:HB 333 - Relating to certain procedures for submitting legible and classifiable fingerprints with an application for a license to carry a concealed handgun.
The summary on this one is wrong... I was trying to figure out why hotels were requiring fingerprints.
Thanks. I corrected it.

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Well, this is strange. All the bills are listed again on today's calendar as being scheduled for second reading. Also HB 972 is listed. http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 130516.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I missed yesterday's session, but they must not have gotten to them.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

baldeagle wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
It was listed on the Calendar for second reading. http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 130515.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I see. The Regular Order of Business Calendar is never used. The 21 vote rule in the Senate requires 21 votes to suspend the regular order of business and take something out of order. Since they never work off the Regular Order of Business Calendar, nothing comes to the floor unless it has 21 votes to debate it. In other words, every bill that is considered in the Senate is taken "out of order."

I was worried that my reporting sources missed something and that the bill status page was wrong. SB481 shows to have been placed on the Intent Calendar twice, meaning the author intended to move to suspend the regular order of business to consider SB481. Sen. Hinojosa withdrew it, and it hasn't been placed back on the Intent Calendar.

Thanks,
Chas.

brhalltx

Post by brhalltx »

Is the HB 333 penalty really a criminal penalty? I see "civil" on one web site, "criminal" on the rest. The fine is only $100, unfortunately...

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”