972 on Senate "Regular Order of Business"

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Owens
Posts in topic: 2

972 on Senate "Regular Order of Business"

Post by Owens »

Looks like it could come for a senate vote today ...If I read this right.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83 ... 130516.htm
Life Member NRA, TSRA

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 972 on Senate "Regular Order of Business"

Post by RoyGBiv »

Holy bovine... That looks like a busy day.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Here is a copy of my post on another thread explaining that the "Regular Order of Business" calendar means nothing. It will be coming up for debate only when it appears on the Intent Calendar. Even then it must get 21 votes to be heard.

Chas.
Charles L. Cotton wrote:The Regular Order of Business Calendar is never used. The 21 vote rule in the Senate requires 21 votes to suspend the regular order of business and take something out of order. Since they never work off the Regular Order of Business Calendar, nothing comes to the floor unless it has 21 votes to debate it. In other words, every bill that is considered in the Senate is taken "out of order."

I was worried that my reporting sources missed something and that the bill status page was wrong. SB481 shows to have been placed on the Intent Calendar twice, meaning the author intended to move to suspend the regular order of business to consider SB481. Sen. Hinojosa withdrew it, and it hasn't been placed back on the Intent Calendar.

Thanks,
Chas.

Topic author
Owens
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Owens »

Just caught that and was about to post your excellent info. Thanks Charles.
Life Member NRA, TSRA

cmwoodruff

Post by cmwoodruff »

My favorite...

HCR 102 (LC) Miller, Doug SP: Fraser

Designating peach cobbler as the official cobbler of Texas.

Keep up the good fight!

:roll:
“How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” -Adolf Hitler

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

cmwoodruff wrote:My favorite...

Keep up the good fight!

Thank God. That took a load out of my mind. Always wondered what was the official cobbler of TX. Glad the legislature addressed this important issue. Not like they had anything more important to vote on, you know, like Campus Carry, Open Carry, etc. Keep up the good work. We could not live without your wisdom.

Sarcasm font
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

JJVP wrote:
cmwoodruff wrote:My favorite...

Keep up the good fight!

Thank God. That took a load out of my mind. Always wondered what was the official cobbler of TX. Glad the legislature addressed this important issue. Not like they had anything more important to vote on, you know, like Campus Carry, Open Carry, etc. Keep up the good work. We could not live without your wisdom.

Sarcasm font
You didn't realize that the Texas Legislature was the inspiration for the Comedy Channel? Maybe Trivial Pursuit as well.....

When I was at UT, a long, long time ago, someone introduced a bill that would have allowed anyone who had completed 2 years of law school and served 2 terms in the Legislature to practice law without having to take the bar exam. This could have applied to no one other than then Speaker Ben Barnes. A week or so later, a bill was introduced to allow a graduate of a Texas high school with at least a "B" in chemistry and biology to practice medicine.

Who can forget the famous "SO" Bees of story, song and verse?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Here is a copy of my post on another thread explaining that the "Regular Order of Business" calendar means nothing. It will be coming up for debate only when it appears on the Intent Calendar. Even then it must get 21 votes to be heard.

Chas.
Charles L. Cotton wrote:The Regular Order of Business Calendar is never used. The 21 vote rule in the Senate requires 21 votes to suspend the regular order of business and take something out of order. Since they never work off the Regular Order of Business Calendar, nothing comes to the floor unless it has 21 votes to debate it. In other words, every bill that is considered in the Senate is taken "out of order."

I was worried that my reporting sources missed something and that the bill status page was wrong. SB481 shows to have been placed on the Intent Calendar twice, meaning the author intended to move to suspend the regular order of business to consider SB481. Sen. Hinojosa withdrew it, and it hasn't been placed back on the Intent Calendar.

Thanks,
Chas.
Of course this begs the question, Charles, why bother having a Regular Order of Business Calendar if the regular order of business is to simply ignore it?
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”