SA Express News...'gun experts'

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
artx
Posts in topic: 2

SA Express News...'gun experts'

Post by artx »

These guys crack me up. They make up laws regularly. This time, they claim that you cannot currently carry a revolver if you qualified with a semi auto (yes, I know the inverse is currently illegal). What is more sad is they will meld their misinformation with politicians statements and achieve a degree of believability. How does the media always get everything backwards?

AUSTIN — Sen. Craig Estes, R-Wichita Falls, has a problem: although he's licensed to shoot semi-automatic weapons, he just gave his last semi-automatic gun away. And, under current law, since he tested with a semi-automatic gun, his concealed handgun license doesn't apply to his many revolvers

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politi ... z2U4zC5Ucq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SA Express News...'gun experts'

Post by AEA »

Do they do this on purpose or are they just too ignorant to do a bit of research before publishing lies like this?
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Just to be fair to the media, this sounds more like they were getting their information from the Rep. He was the one who said that he did not propose the bill for himself, so it sounds more like he used that logic. Legislators, even those on our side, are also not known for always getting the laws right.

Of course, i could be wrong.
Steve Rothstein

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

They need to pass the bill before they can know what is actually in it. :roll:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

srothstein wrote:Just to be fair to the media, this sounds more like they were getting their information from the Rep. He was the one who said that he did not propose the bill for himself, so it sounds more like he used that logic. Legislators, even those on our side, are also not known for always getting the laws right.

Of course, i could be wrong.
It doesn't matter if they got it from him or they assumed it was true in my opinion. The failure is on the reporter and paper for printing misinformation.
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Senator Estes was the author on:

SB766 (2011) - Passed: Texas Sport Shooting Range Protection Bill
SB299 (2013) - Passed: Clarifying "unintentional failure to conceal" and correcting the McDermott decision.
SB383 (2013) - Died/Committee: Giving judges the option to order seized firearms sold rather than destroyed.
SB1400 (2013) - Passed: Prohibits cities and counties from regulating air guns (allows them to prohibit discharge).
HB3142 (2013) - Passed: Sen. Estes carried Rep. Bell's bill to remove the SA/NSA distinction.

If he doesn't realize he can carry a revolver with his SA license, then it could be the instructor's fault, or he simply may have forgotten that fact. (This would tend to support my comments about students not remembering much of their class from 5 or 10 years earlier.) Either way, Sen. Estes is a major player in the continuing effort to defend and expand firearms rights in Texas. Too bad there aren't many more like him in the Senate.

Chas.

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

I proudly cast my vote for Senator Estes, he represents me not only because I live in his district, but also because we share like views on the Second Amendment.

:txflag:

He may have gotten his facts wrong on the SA/NSA license requirements, the fact that he is gifting pistols to folks more than makes up for that. :cool:
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

Topic author
artx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by artx »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Senator Estes was the author on:

SB766 (2011) - Passed: Texas Sport Shooting Range Protection Bill
SB299 (2013) - Passed: Clarifying "unintentional failure to conceal" and correcting the McDermott decision.
SB383 (2013) - Died/Committee: Giving judges the option to order seized firearms sold rather than destroyed.
SB1400 (2013) - Passed: Prohibits cities and counties from regulating air guns (allows them to prohibit discharge).
HB3142 (2013) - Passed: Sen. Estes carried Rep. Bell's bill to remove the SA/NSA distinction.

If he doesn't realize he can carry a revolver with his SA license, then it could be the instructor's fault, or he simply may have forgotten that fact. (This would tend to support my comments about students not remembering much of their class from 5 or 10 years earlier.) Either way, Sen. Estes is a major player in the continuing effort to defend and expand firearms rights in Texas. Too bad there aren't many more like him in the Senate.

Chas.
I agree Chas, he has been a good friend to our cause :txflag: I don't mean to cast any aspersions on Sen Estes.

What I don't like is the Express news melding his statements with misinformation (though I understand srothstein's suggestion that the senator possibly provided the info). Since the incorrect info was not in a quote, I figured the express news added it. I was also surprised this bill got a story, I might have expected HB 48 to get more press.

E10

Post by E10 »

Funny - I know better, but still read "SA" as "single-action", whether it's the city or a firearm. This is Texas, y'all know.

I seem to remember a lot about the stuff covered in both my initial and renewal classes, but I don't remember whether it was actually covered in class or I read it somewhere like the DPS website or here on texaschlforum.com (which is a great place to stay informed, by the way). Or maybe even the written on paper material I got with my application from DPS back before ever'thang was automated. I don't think the instructors are to blame for some students' ignorance - the students just didn't pay appropriate attention, and oughta be ashamed of themselves. Instructors who guarantee passing scores don't help the situation, either. There oughta be at least a remote possibility of failure to encourage folks to pay attention.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

it is possible that Estes said part of it, and the reporter wrote part of it and it ended up with Estes getting it ALL wrong.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”