Special Session -- 2013

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Bladed
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Special Session -- 2013

Post by Bladed »

RHenriksen wrote:
CWOOD wrote:My personal opinion, without any "special" information, is that the Governor will probably want to get the redistricting out of the way and put to bed before throwing other items into the mix.

Redistricting is going to be contentious enough with out bargaining for other items as a distraction.

THEN we can get it on.
That's my suspicion as well. Keeping the agenda uncluttered at a single item prevents horsetrading away other things and holds their feet to the fire.
I seriously doubt that will happen. If Governor Perry were to wait until redistricting passed and then add social issues (e.g., guns, abortion, etc.) to the call, those social issues would then be the only things keeping the special session going (a special session lasts 30 days OR until all called issues are resolved), at a cost of $36,000/day in taxpayer money. That could potentially land the governor in hot water with not only the liberals who oppose the agenda but also with the fiscal conservatives who oppose the public expense. If Governor Perry is going to add social issues to the agenda, he'll most likely do so while he has the cover of a necessary procedural issue like redistricting.

OldGrumpy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OldGrumpy »

Historically once a session gets started the Governor adds items for consideration. I would expect the same this year.
Love God, Family, USA, and Texas
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God - Micah 6:8

4copas

Post by 4copas »

SawdustBytes wrote:HB 12 was filed on 5/28: Relating to certain firearms, firearm accessories, and firearm ammunition within the State of Texas; providing an exemption from federal regulation and providing penalties.

SB 9 was filed on 5/29: Relating to the carrying of concealed handguns on the campuses of and certain other locations associated with institutions of higher education.

SB 17 was filed on 5/29: Relating to certain offenses relating to carrying concealed handguns on property owned or leased by a governmental entity; providing a civil penalty.

HOWEVER ---

They are essentially moot until the governor adds them to the agenda.
Above in red is actually SB 16 not 17.
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
NRA Life Member :patriot: :txflag:

styxx

Post by styxx »

I get far too confused with the "starting over with new bill numbers in the Special Session" thing . . . I communicated to the Governor's office asking for additions to the Special Session agenda using the "old" (HB 3218, HB 508, etc.) bill numbers, but described each for clarification.
:patriot:
Some days are better than others, but every day is a good day.

2firfun50
Posts in topic: 14

Post by 2firfun50 »

styxx wrote:I get far too confused with the "starting over with new bill numbers in the Special Session" thing . . . I communicated to the Governor's office asking for additions to the Special Session agenda using the "old" (HB 3218, HB 508, etc.) bill numbers, but described each for clarification.
:patriot:
Has anyone seen any bills filed similar to HB3218? I haven't.

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasCajun »

So far only:
SB9- campus carry
SB16- invalid 30.06 posting on public property
HB12-prohibiting firearms & firearms components made & sold in Texas from federal regulation
HB15- prohibiting state/local authorities from enforcing federal anti-2a laws
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

2firfun50
Posts in topic: 14

Post by 2firfun50 »

TexasCajun wrote:So far only:
SB9- campus carry
HB12-prohibiting firearms & firearms components made & sold in Texas from federal regulation
Thanks, thats all I saw too.

jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jerry_r60 »

TexasCajun wrote:So far only:
SB9- campus carry
I was trying to compare HB12 and HB15. I was not seeing anything in HB12 about firearms or components made in Texas. Where did you see that?

I can only see some minor language differences between HB12 & HB15. I see 12 saying TX authorities can not enfore new fed laws restricting firearm types and capacities etc., if they differ from state law. I understand 15 to have a subtle difference in that TX authorities "may not contract with or in any other manner provide assistance to" Feds enforcing the same types of laws defined in HB12.

There is of course more language about not accepting grants etc. I'm finding it very difficult to see a substantive difference between HB12 & HB15.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

HB 12 Author: Toth
Last Action: 05/28/2013 H Filed
Caption: Relating to certain firearms, firearm accessories, and firearm ammunition within the State of Texas; providing an exemption from federal regulation and providing penalties

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

HB 15 Author: Krause
Caption: Relating to the enforcement of certain federal laws regulating firearms, firearm accessories, and firearm ammunition within the State of Texas.

jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jerry_r60 »

TexasCajun wrote:HB 12 Author: Toth
Caption: Relating to certain firearms, firearm accessories, and firearm ammunition within the State of Texas; providing an exemption from federal regulation and providing penalties
I saw those captions. Reading the bill it's, about not allowing Texas authorities to enforce new federal laws ristricting firearms and firearm accessories. It doesn't say anything that I saw about the firearms or accessories specificly made in Texas.

gringo pistolero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gringo pistolero »

This year, with no Presidential nomination on the line, we'll find out how Rick Perry really feels about our gun rights.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

JKTex
Posts in topic: 8

Post by JKTex »

gringo pistolero wrote:This year, with no Presidential nomination on the line, we'll find out how Rick Perry really feels about our gun rights.
:headscratch How? He's not a King, just a Governor. :txflag:

Tic Tac
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Tic Tac »

You're right. He's the Governor. The agenda of a special session is his decision alone.

If he puts RKBA reform on the table, and the lege drops the ball, that tells us where he and they stand. If he doesn't put it on the agenda that still tells us where he stands, and more clearly than a million campaign speaches and pithy sound bites.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

I'm not sure if this bodes well for our cause or if it's just a false hope, but the only mention of the special session on the radio this morning concerned campus carry & nothing else.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”