Letter to Governor Rick Perry

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Pacifist

Re: Letter to Governor Rick Perry

Post by Pacifist »

Perry is a seasoned politician, pure and simple, with obvious, admitted, and demonstrated aspirations towards bigger and better things than the "mere" governorship of this great state of ours, but who also has a very, very, very (did I mention very?) good team of advisors (many of whom are better at what they do than he is at what he does). As such, were he to add the Second-Amendment-friendly bills to this special session, he has been advised that he could be, and likely would be, very well providing additional ammunition to the 51% or so of the "more-gun-control" crowd among the U.S. general populace (and, more particularly, the 99.9% libtard media) to use at some point against him and, thus, hurting his attraction and electability on the National front.

Let's face it, even without calling any 2A bills during the special session, he, his pollsters, and his advisors know fully well that his reelection as Texas governor is virtually assured, so given the above, why chance it?

frreed
Posts in topic: 2

Post by frreed »

Pacifist-I agree with most of what you said. On balance, I think Perry is a fine governor. The best thing is he doesn't try to rule, he governs. It makes very few waves and frankly that is the way it should be.

That being said, if there is a suitably conservative challenger who will move some of these gun bills, he or she would have my support. No politician should feel too comfortable in office. Just think Edward Kennedy.

There are enough 2A advocates and activists in this state that we could turn an election. Unlike some of the more progressive demographic, we vote.
Last edited by frreed on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 9

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I have a completely different take on the matter. I think that Governor Perry has a lot of different items to think about, firearms being only one of them. We all know that politics is a dirty game, always has been, always will be. And there are folks within the Republican Party in this state that aren't as firearms friendly as the R behind their name should show them to be. I'm sure word gets around that if X firearms bill gets brought up then Y bill on some other conservative topic will be sabotaged. The Governor probably has to weigh which one he'd rather see go through, the one with the greatest impact. And while there are a lot of CHLers in this state, its still not that great a percentage of the total. I don't like how politics works any more than anyone else, but until someone comes up with something else (and I ain't holding my breath for that) it is the way it will be. IMHO, of course.

All that said, I could be 100% wrong. I'm certainly hoping that Mr. Cotton will provide us with some sort of post-game wrapup that will make a little sense of everything, even if it doesn't make any of us happy.

ALCSTUDIOS
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ALCSTUDIOS »

Pacifist wrote:Perry is a seasoned politician, pure and simple, with obvious, admitted, and demonstrated aspirations towards bigger and better things than the "mere" governorship of this great state of ours, but who also has a very, very, very (did I mention very?) good team of advisors (many of whom are better at what they do than he is at what he does). As such, were he to add the Second-Amendment-friendly bills to this special session, he has been advised that he could be, and likely would be, very well providing additional ammunition to the 51% or so of the "more-gun-control" crowd among the U.S. general populace (and, more particularly, the 99.9% libtard media) to use at some point against him and, thus, hurting his attraction and electability on the National front.

Let's face it, even without calling any 2A bills during the special session, he, his pollsters, and his advisors know fully well that his reelection as Texas governor is virtually assured, so given the above, why chance it?
Let me make sure I understand correctly, The great gov perry is more worried about protecting his political career and or his agenda?
NRA,GOA,TFC TSRA & SAF member

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Would you like the next governer to be shila Jackson or her ilk? We don't want total left of left, total left or total right. We need to stay in the middle of left and right.
I don't care if the Gov. is Dem, Rep, Indep, Tea Partier, or Green, as long as they govern for the people, not govern the people.
There is a lot more to consider than just the 2nd Amendment.
I look at the Governer of a State in the light as the President of the U.S.. The job titles are interchangeable. The Governer does the same thing for the State as the President does for the combined States. They both are there to Govern for the people.
If you want to do something look at YOUR Representatives (Senate and House)to the State. Hold those individuals responsible.

DEB

Post by DEB »

ALCSTUDIOS wrote:
Pacifist wrote:Perry is a seasoned politician, pure and simple, with obvious, admitted, and demonstrated aspirations towards bigger and better things than the "mere" governorship of this great state of ours, but who also has a very, very, very (did I mention very?) good team of advisors (many of whom are better at what they do than he is at what he does). As such, were he to add the Second-Amendment-friendly bills to this special session, he has been advised that he could be, and likely would be, very well providing additional ammunition to the 51% or so of the "more-gun-control" crowd among the U.S. general populace (and, more particularly, the 99.9% libtard media) to use at some point against him and, thus, hurting his attraction and electability on the National front.

Let me make sure I understand correctly, The great gov perry is more worried about protecting his political career and or his agenda?
He ought to be worried about his career/agenda and I believe he is. Anyone that works for someone else should always try to do their best in satisfying their bosses. Rick Perry's bosses being fellow Texans. When I go to work my prime objective is to satisfy those who hired me, why wouldn't Governor Perry? I want full constitution carry, but I know it isn't going to happen anytime soon. I remember Texas pre-1995 when it came to conceal carry. During those days you better not be caught with a pistol anywhere for any reason, you were at the very least going to have to spend money on an attorney. We have come a long ways, just need to keep up the fight. I believe Governor Perry has done a lot for the 2nd Amendment within this state as well as keeping the hounds off of us when it comes to other Texas style conservatism. He has made mistakes and I believe he has owned up to them and changed accordingly. I thank God for Rick Perry and my prayers are with him always, I even feel I can say that without a blush. Texas is producing some great conservatives, finally I might add. Pre-1995 Texas would probably have been a twin to today's Colorado, if it wasn't for the Rick Perrys and those of his group that stepped up to the plate. My thoughts only.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

ALCSTUDIOS

Post by ALCSTUDIOS »

MeMelYup wrote:Would you like the next governer to be shila Jackson or her ilk? We don't want total left of left, total left or total right. We need to stay in the middle of left and right.
I don't care if the Gov. is Dem, Rep, Indep, Tea Partier, or Green, as long as they govern for the people, not govern the people.
I look at the Governer of a State in the light as the President of the U.S.. The job titles are interchangeable. The Governer does the same thing for the State as the President does for the combined States. They both are there to Govern for the people.
If you want to do something look at YOUR Representatives (Senate and House)to the State. Hold those individuals responsible.
I did look at MY Representatives (Senate and House) to the State... This happened during the regular session. The regular session has ended and now it is up to our Governor to add bills to the call during a special session and that is why I posted in a "Rick Perry" thread . Would Sheila Jackson add pro gun bills to a special session, no way.... but neither would Rick Perry :)

GrillKing
Posts in topic: 4

Post by GrillKing »

Match Governor Perry's record on 2nd amendment issues to any other Governor and I predict he will come out on top. He has been and is solidly with us. Political reality is that an all or nothing stance will more likely result in nothing. The Governor knows this. Going after our Governor for perceived lack of support on 2nd amendment issues is a huge mistake. He is a friend to our cause and we need him in the Governor's office. His record matches his rhetoric in that he supports the cause in word and deed.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

ALCSTUDIOS wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:Would you like the next governer to be shila Jackson or her ilk? We don't want total left of left, total left or total right. We need to stay in the middle of left and right.
I did look at MY Representatives (Senate and House) to the State... This happened during the regular session. The regular session has ended and now it is up to our Governor to add bills to the call during a special session and that is why I posted in a "Rick Perry" thread . Would Sheila Jackson add pro gun bills to a special session, no way.... but neither would Rick Perry :)
If you can draw equivalence between Governor Perry and Sheila Jackson Lee, especially when it comes to firearms related matters, then I really have no way to have any sort of conversation with you on the subject.

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

:headscratch For a minute I thought I'd accidentally signed on to Kids for Guns or Open Carry or TGT.

For those of you that don't think anything has gotten done, take off your single issue glasses and look at everything that has passed, much of which has been signed. It's like the kid that wants am Indy race car for Christmas and when he only gets a go-cart he complains and cries. :smilelol5:

And those bashing Perry because he didn't push the other issues that didn't make it, do you really think if he thought those issues could be pushed though without jeopardizing other much bigger (in the real world where things like State budget, education etc. live, not just in our gun rights world) or that there was time and a chance of success that made sense that he wouldn't have done what he could to get them dealt with? You and I have no idea what's going on within the process and if he knows there's too much opposition or strategic opposition that is a road block, he's not going to waste the time and resources on a futile effort. His personal support of all these issues (which he's made public) doesn't get them done. He doesn't get a vote.

I'm still holding out that we're not seeing the end of this session, for what little hope that may be. We still may have to wait until 2015. It is what it is. In the mean time, become involved to help make changes in preparation. :txflag:

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

frreed wrote:That being said, if there is a suitably conservative challenger who will move some of these gun bills, he or she would have my support. No politician should feel too comfortable in office. Just think Edward Kennedy.

There are enough 2A advocates and activists in this state that we could turn an election. Unlike some of the more progressive demographic, we vote.
I agree. We can make a difference. With his inaction, he chose to lose my vote. It sounds like I'm not alone.

If he thinks he picked up some Brady or Bloomberg voters by throwing us under the bus, I hope it was worth it to him.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

ALCSTUDIOS

Post by ALCSTUDIOS »

K.Mooneyham wrote:
ALCSTUDIOS wrote:
If you can draw equivalence between Governor Perry and Sheila Jackson Lee, especially when it comes to firearms related matters, then I really have no way to have any sort of conversation with you on the subject.
If you cannot read the first line from Mel's quote and the last line from my quote (smiley face included) then I agree.... you really don't have a way to have a conversation with me on the subject... :lol:

tacticool
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tacticool »

gringo pistolero wrote:If he thinks he picked up some Brady or Bloomberg voters by throwing us under the bus, I hope it was worth it to him.
I don't understand the GOP obsession with throwing the base under the bus to appease the opposition. The Republican national "leadership" has very nearly made it a tradition in their primaries.

In any event, between Perry and Straus, the Texas GOP has ensured I'll be voting Libertarian or TEA party every November until such time as I can legally carry a concealed handgun while voting. The ball is in their court.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

mojo84
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mojo84 »

It's been a frustrating education for me but I've learn politics is a whole 'nother game with different rules.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Panda
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Panda »

mojo84 wrote:It's been a frustrating education for me but I've learn politics is a whole 'nother game with different rules.
Yes indeed. It was very educational to see where people really stand on the issues.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”