Letter to Governor Rick Perry

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Letter to Governor Rick Perry

Post by nightmare69 »

AEA wrote:
Our local mall has this issue and its a grey area.

No, you should forget about it and spend your money where it (and your presence with your legally carried firearm) is welcome!

I agree but some stores in the mall are the only places that sell certain types of cloths I buy. I don't live in DFW where there are 20 of every store so Im kinda limited.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

chuck j
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chuck j »

Letter is sent , you did a good thing at a good time Charles . I'm sure everyone knows that you can send letters to all representatives any time you want to , keep the pressure on . Thanks !

AEA
Posts in topic: 4

Post by AEA »

nightmare69 wrote:
AEA wrote:

No, you should forget about it and spend your money where it (and your presence with your legally carried firearm) is welcome!

I agree but some stores in the mall are the only places that sell certain types of cloths I buy. I don't live in DFW where there are 20 of every store so Im kinda limited.
Order those things online. You will save anguish, money and gasoline.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

JKTex
Posts in topic: 9

Post by JKTex »

nightmare69 wrote:I should send a letter regarding the requirements of business posting the 30.06. All it says right now is the sign must be posted in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public. It should be added that the 30.06 must be posted at ANY and ALL public entrances.

If you're aware, it's not a gray or grey area, you've acknowledged being given effective notice.

I'm guessing you may be talking about Simon property malls, Grapevine Mills and Katy Mills for 2 of them. Stores aren't posted but mall entrances are. I don't mind going in to those stores as they control their space, but not the mall. Although why anyone but weekend tourists want to shop in their properties is a mystery to me. :)

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

JKTex wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:I should send a letter regarding the requirements of business posting the 30.06. All it says right now is the sign must be posted in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public. It should be added that the 30.06 must be posted at ANY and ALL public entrances.

If you're aware, it's not a gray or grey area, you've acknowledged being given effective notice.

I'm guessing you may be talking about Simon property malls, Grapevine Mills and Katy Mills for 2 of them. Stores aren't posted but mall entrances are. I don't mind going in to those stores as they control their space, but not the mall. Although why anyone but weekend tourists want to shop in their properties is a mystery to me. :)
Yep it's a Simon mall. Worst case if I was caught carrying only a idiot would admit they knew it was posted.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

JKTex
Posts in topic: 9

Post by JKTex »

What's worse about Simon, they replaced all the signs last year or so, with current, proper ones. And they're about 4x the size they need to be and still posted off to the side in most cases. :mrgreen:

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

JKTex wrote:What's worse about Simon, they replaced all the signs last year or so, with current, proper ones. And they're about 4x the size they need to be and still posted off to the side in most cases. :mrgreen:
Since only the mall is posted I could just enter the store armed and if I needed to go to another store just enter the store from the outside entrance. As long as I don't enter the mall no harm no foul.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

frreed
Posts in topic: 2

Post by frreed »

nightmare69 wrote:
JKTex wrote:What's worse about Simon, they replaced all the signs last year or so, with current, proper ones. And they're about 4x the size they need to be and still posted off to the side in most cases. :mrgreen:
Since only the mall is posted I could just enter the store armed and if I needed to go to another store just enter the store from the outside entrance. As long as I don't enter the mall no harm no foul.

This true to a point. Unless you get a jack wagon of a store manager and a double jack wagon of a responding officer and a triple jack wagon of a judge when it goes to trial. Are you going to sit there and perjure yourself and say you had no idea that there were signs anywhere in the mall?

We claim that CHLs are more law abiding than the vast majority of citizens. We push our cause on that basis. Personally, I don't care whether you carry in Simon mall or not. Odds are that you will be the only one who knows.

I hate that I cannot carry wherever I want. I hate even more that the laws are more strict on us that on those who post signs illegally, incorrectly or, for that matter, post them at all. However, it is the law and we as "law abiding"citizens must lead by example.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

frreed wrote:This true to a point. Unless you get a jack wagon of a store manager and a double jack wagon of a responding officer and a triple jack wagon of a judge when it goes to trial. Are you going to sit there and perjure yourself and say you had no idea that there were signs anywhere in the mall?

We claim that CHLs are more law abiding than the vast majority of citizens. We push our cause on that basis. Personally, I don't care whether you carry in Simon mall or not. Odds are that you will be the only one who knows.

I hate that I cannot carry wherever I want. I hate even more that the laws are more strict on us that on those who post signs illegally, incorrectly or, for that matter, post them at all. However, it is the law and we as "law abiding"citizens must lead by example.
The mall part is the only restricted area for CC, not the stores otherwise they would have the proper sign posted at the entrance. The law states that the 30.06 must be posted in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public. So tell me how someone from out of town with a CHL who entered through a public store entrance and then went into the mall could know that it was posted?

One could argue that if you enter through a store and later enter the mall that you saw no sign. Also, how is a sign posted 150 yards away around the corner on one of the mall's main entrances conform with the law and posted in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public?

My CHL instructor brought up this very point with our local mall. He says he carries everytime he goes there, he just enters through a store.

If they want to make the mall part(not stores)completely off limits then then they would have to post the 30.06 outside every store with an outside public entrance. Until they do that I will continue to carry there and make sure my firearm is well concealed.

Even if I was caught carrying, you really think Im going to tell them I knew it was posted? Nope.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

CWOOD
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CWOOD »

Folks, the topic has been about Letters to Governor Rick Perry.

Could we keep the discussion to this particular topic and continue the discussion of postings and malls and whether or not I really knew about the sign and carried anyway in another, more appropriate area of the Forum.

I am sure it is a good and worthwhile discussion but not under the heading of 2013 Legislative Session.

Thanks a lot.

Salty1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Salty1 »

I imagine that the 2013 session as it relates to firearms is done unless I have missed something. It seems that we get a lot of lip service from our elected officials claiming full support and then a vocal few stop the bills dead in their tracks and nobody is willing to go to battle against them. There is right and there is wrong..... then there is politics that clearly has nothing to do with the will of the people or common sense........ Guess I need to become a Cowboys fan so I can also wait for next year (session) time and time again.......................
Salty1

Lucky
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lucky »

Fax sent asking him to stand up for gun rights in Texas.

VViper

Post by VViper »

Charles has posted some hopeful, but enigmatic, comments on this thread. I remain optimistic that, from his catbird seat, he was writing with some yet-to-be-disclosed insight...
Last edited by VViper on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 6

Post by J.R.@A&M »

OK, so other topics (e.g., transportation) are being added to the special session call. That's good for another fax to the Governor about gun rights.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

What's a good way of saying "talk is cheap" without being rude?

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”