SB 8 filed by Patrick

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
JJVP
Posts in topic: 1

SB 8 filed by Patrick

Post by JJVP »

SB 8 Author: Patrick
Last Action: 07/30/2013 S Filed
Caption: Relating to certain offenses relating to carrying concealed handguns on property owned or leased by a governmental entity; providing a civil penalty.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83 ... navpanes=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 5

Re: SB 8 filed by Patrick

Post by puma guy »

I am happy to see the bill filed, buy I have doubts it will make it to a vote. HB 9 on the other hand will will probably fly through. Most politicians are no longer representatives of their constituencies and are only interested in furthering their own causes and issues, from the local to the Federal level. IMHO
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Bladed
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bladed »

puma guy wrote:I am happy to see the bill filed, buy I have doubts it will make it to a vote. HB 9 on the other hand will will probably fly through. Most politicians are no longer representatives of their constituencies and are only interested in furthering their own causes and issues, from the local to the Federal level. IMHO
Did you follow the regular session at all?

Regardless, neither bill will receive a vote unless Perry adds a relevant issue to the special session call.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Bladed wrote:
puma guy wrote:I am happy to see the bill filed, buy I have doubts it will make it to a vote. HB 9 on the other hand will will probably fly through. Most politicians are no longer representatives of their constituencies and are only interested in furthering their own causes and issues, from the local to the Federal level. IMHO

Regardless, neither bill will receive a vote unless Perry adds a relevant issue to the special session call.
If you're asking if I followed every bill in regular session, NO. I'm not sure how that is relevant to my post about these two bills. I know we got some favorable bills passed. I did follow HB 508 similar to Patrick's SB 8 that was hijacked by a Senate amendment at the last minute that would have given elected officials and attorneys and others as outlined in HB 9 special carry privileges. The House refused to sign off and the bill died in regular session. My point is when push comes to shove most politicians do not hold the wishes of the people they represent foremost. That's a generality I know, but that's my opinion. If they followed what the majority of people want legislation such as Obama Care would have never passed.
Last edited by puma guy on Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

This is great if it gets to the floor for a vote. Im tired of seeing city owned buildings being posted with the 30.06.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

JJVP wrote:SB 8 Author: Patrick
Caption: Relating to certain offenses relating to carrying concealed handguns on property owned or leased by a governmental entity; providing a civil penalty.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83 ... navpanes=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sen. Patrick who wants to be Lt. Governor certainly wants to distance himself from his part in the killer amendment to HB508 (identical to SB9) that killed it in the House. Unfortunately, HB508 was sure to pass and the current SB8 has no chance of passing since it's not on the call. Poor attempt at damage control in my view.

Chas.

08thunders

Post by 08thunders »

Bladed wrote:

I agree on both counts. The pro-gun bills go nowhere in a special session without a pro-gun Governor.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

puma guy wrote:
Bladed wrote:

If you're asking if I followed every bill in regular session, NO. I'm not sure how that is relevant to my post about these two bills. I know we got some favorable bills passed. I did follow HB 508 similar to Patrick's SB 8 that was hijacked by a Senate amendment at the last minute that would have given elected officials and attorneys and others as outlined in HB 9 special carry privileges. The House refused to sign off and the bill died in regular session. My point is when push comes to shove most politicians do not hold the wishes of the people they represent foremost. That's a generality I know, but that's my opinion. If they followed what the majority of people want legislation such as Obama Care would have never passed.
My point is that the House of Representatives originally passed SB 508 (now SB 8) by a wide margin and only rejected it after Patrick added his "legislators are special" amendment (similar to HB 9 but including legislators). That seems to fly in the face of your suggestion that legislators would be more likely to pass HB 9 than SB 8. There are plenty of self-serving legislators, but we shouldn't write off the whole bunch just because a few push self-serving bills/amendments.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Bladed wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Bladed wrote:

My point is that the House of Representatives originally passed SB 508 (now SB 8) by a wide margin and only rejected it after Patrick added his "legislators are special" amendment (similar to HB 9 but including legislators). That seems to fly in the face of your suggestion that legislators would be more likely to pass HB 9 than SB 8. There are plenty of self-serving legislators, but we shouldn't write off the whole bunch just because a few push self-serving bills/amendments.
You are correct. HB 508 passed with a wide margin and was tracking nicely for passage until the amendment to make legislators "special", but not by Patrick. I'm almost sure it was Carona or Corona (I'm unsure of spelling). The Senate would not come off the "we're special" mode which exemplifies my point they aren't thinking of their constituents. Improper posting of 30.06 signs by government is one of the more popular threads on the forum.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Sen. Patrick who wants to be Lt. Governor certainly wants to distance himself from his part in the killer amendment to HB508 (identical to SB9) that killed it in the House. Unfortunately, HB508 was sure to pass and the current SB8 has no chance of passing since it's not on the call. Poor attempt at damage control in my view.

Chas.
So you are saying this is nothing more than a political stunt that has a slim to none chance of getting to the floor.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

ALCSTUDIOS

Post by ALCSTUDIOS »

I will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong but this carrot has been dangling for so long it's rotten, just another rather costly special session with no pro gun bills added. We can pay for special sessions but our voice will not be heard.. Now I'm going to be a good little minion and wait till 2015.
NRA,GOA,TFC TSRA & SAF member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
I missed your post about Patrick's involvement in the amendment to HB508 (83R). I checked to be sure it was filed by Carona, but I didn't realize Patrick was involved in the "killer" amendment (good term). What was Patrick's part in it if I may ask? I agree SB8 has no chance of passing, but was unaware of what the the motive might be for filing it.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

puma guy wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
I missed your post about Patrick's involvement in the amendment to HB508 (83R). I checked to be sure it was filed by Carona, but I didn't realize Patrick was involved in the "killer" amendment (good term). What was Patrick's part in it if I may ask? I agree SB8 has no chance of passing, but was unaware of what the the motive might be for filing it.
I'm going to write an article about it, but here's the short version. In 2011, Patrick filed SB905 that would allow Senators and Representatives to carry handguns everywhere. It passed the Senate but didn't get anywhere in the House. When HB508 passed the House and went to the Senate, it was assigned to Sen. Hinojosa to "carry" in the House. Sen. Patrick convinced Sen. Hinojosa to let him carry HB508 in the Senate. This gave him a lot of control over what amendments were offered and accepted and it put him on the Senate/House Conference Committee. Sen. Carona wound up offering what became a killer amendment and Sen. Patrick accepted it. There's more to the story, some of which I cannot disclose, but that's Sen. Patrick's involvement.

Chas.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
I'm going to write an article about it, but here's the short version. In 2011, Patrick filed SB905 that would allow Senators and Representatives to carry handguns everywhere. It passed the Senate but didn't get anywhere in the House. When HB508 passed the House and went to the Senate, it was assigned to Sen. Hinojosa to "carry" in the House. Sen. Patrick convinced Sen. Hinojosa to let him carry HB508 in the Senate. This gave him a lot of control over what amendments were offered and accepted and it put him on the Senate/House Conference Committee. Sen. Carona wound up offering what became a killer amendment and Sen. Patrick accepted it. There's more to the story, some of which I cannot disclose, but that's Sen. Patrick's involvement.

Chas.
Thanks for the Reader's Digest version. I'll look for your article. Disgustingly this re-enforces my opinion of most politicians.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”