New 2019 FBI Handgun Qualification

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 5

New 2019 FBI Handgun Qualification

Post by Paladin »

Looks like there were some updates to the FBI Handgun Qualification in 2019:

Shooting the New 2019 FBI Handgun Qualification

Greg Ellifritz: The New FBI Qualification Course

This is the previous course of fire:

2014 Pistol Qual Course PDF

I had tried it out using a reduced target: FREE 2.5 times reduced QIT-99 Target

Honestly I thought the qualification was pretty easy to score "instructor". I do like the draws from concealment, but the time and accuracy requirements were not hard. Movement was only at 25 yards.

Greg Ellifritz says its a decent benchmark of competency and an evaluation to help identify areas where you may need further practice. I agree with him.

Anyone else try this? What did you think?
JOIN NRA TODAY!
NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life Member, VCDL Member
LTC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO Paladin Training Systems
“Those who expect to be both ignorant and free, expect what never was and never will be.” -Thomas Jefferson

Ruark
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New 2019 FBI Handgun Qualification

Post by Ruark »

Are you required to use that stance?
-Ruark

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Ruark wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:55 am Are you required to use that stance?
No.
JOIN NRA TODAY!
NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life Member, VCDL Member
“Those who expect to be both ignorant and free, expect what never was and never will be.” -Thomas Jefferson

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Sharp shooter should not have a problem, If you Qualified with FBI before, it should be standard fare.
I scored 90% or so the last time, I did it. On a bad day, I would score about 80%

Do not be afraid. Go shoot.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I shot both the old and the new at KR Training using my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch in a Safariland 7TS ALS. The most challenging was, indeed, the single-handed shooting. Passed both times with 90+. On the new test, I had spent more time training for 20 and 25 yard shots. Passed with 98.

While its nice to be able to say I've passed the FBI qualification and the Austin PD qualification, I find that KR Training's "Three Seconds or Less" is closer to what we, as civilians, might encounter. https://www.krtraining.com/IPSC/Informa ... OrLess.htm

Karl Rehn and John Daub have done extensive research and study in why folks don't train, how to develop effective training, and minimum competency. They have coauthored a book on the subject.

Beyond the One Percent https://blog.krtraining.com/beyond-the- ... nt-part-1/

Minimum Competency https://blog.hsoi.com/2013/07/11/minimu ... ve-pistol/

Strategies and Standards for Defensive Handgun Training https://blog.krtraining.com/strategies- ... ning-book/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

oljames3 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:35 am
While its nice to be able to say I've passed the FBI qualification and the Austin PD qualification, I find that KR Training's "Three Seconds or Less" is closer to what we, as civilians, might encounter. https://www.krtraining.com/IPSC/Informa ... OrLess.htm
Agree! Passing the FBI qualification is nice, but KR's Three Seconds or Less drill is necessary... and not just for civilians.
JOIN NRA TODAY!

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I tried out the 2019 FBI Handgun Qualification. The timing on the 25 yard shooting was noticeably tighter, but honestly I didn't feel it was much more difficult. Fewer rounds are fired at 15 and 25 yards. I went from 93 to 94% on the new qual. I may try it once more to see if I can get a perfect score.
JOIN NRA TODAY!

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

It had been about a year since I ran the FBI Handgun qual. Its a good yardstick for competency with fundamental concealed carry skills and the qualification required by our system for students to earn their Yellow belt. Clean run until the 15 and 25 yard stages (1 outside on each), but still hit instructor standard:
IMG_6855(1).JPG
JOIN NRA TODAY!

Return to “General”