Texas Training schools

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 6

Texas Training schools

Post by Paladin »

"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle"

Updated list of firearms training schools/classes that are in Texas:

National/Statewide:

NRA Training

Appleseed

USCCA

Greater DFW Area:

Paladin Training Systems Location: DFW

Tac Pro Shooting Center Location: Mingus

Tiger Valley Location: Waco/Prairie Hill

Kranz Firearms Training Group Location: Allen

Trident Response Group Location: Dallas

VX Marksmanship Location: Decatur

Green Eye Tactical Location: DFW

Spartan Tactical Location: Fort Worth area

Strategic Weapons Academy of Texas Location: Dallas

North Texas Shooting Academy Location: Allen

Texas Defensive Shooting Academy Location: Dallas

Guardian Angel Location: Waxahachie

Texas Tactical Location: Weatherford

Proactive Defense Location: Northlake

Critical Defense Group Location: Greenville

Texas Pistol Academy Location: Whitewright

Big Boar Tactical Location: Collinsville

Shoot Smart Locations: Fort Worth/Grand Prairie

TCCI Location: North Dallas

Elm Fork Range Location: Dallas

DFW Gun Range & Academy Location: Dallas

HARDWIRED TACTICAL SHOOTING Location: DFW

Reston Group Location: Fort Worth area

North East Texas Tactical Location: Terrell

XMTG Firearms Training Academy Location: Scurry

Greater Houston Area:

GLC Shooting Academy Location: Houston

MAST Solutions Location: Katy

Hoffners Training Academy Location: Houston

The Impactzone Location: Hempstead

360 Tactical Training Location: Houston

American Shooting Centers Location: Houston

KRAV HAGANAH Location: Houston

Instinctive Shooting International Location: Houston

AWATT Location: Cleveland

JWM Tactical Location: Houston

Athena Gun Club Location: Houston

PSC Shooting Club Location: Pearland

Daniel Blackford / COM Location: Texas City, 409-933-8485

Tim Oxley Location: Houston area, 281-330-8571

Central Texas:

KR Training Location: Austin area

Trident Concepts/The Range at Austin Location: Austin

Cold Bore Tactical Location: Dripping Springs

Tactical Fitness Austin Location: Austin

Combative Weapons Solutions Location: Austin

Texas Firearm Academy Location: Austin

Texas Tactical Training Institute Location: Austin

BSG Security Services Location: Austin

Schaefer Training Academy Location: Dale

7 Foxtrot Location: San Antonio

Central Texas Combatives Training Group Location: Salado/Various

ATX Precision Location: Austin

God's Country:

Paul Howe / CSAT Location: Nacogdoches

Accuracy 1st Location: Claredon/Lampasas

Rifles Only Location: Kingsville

Pump's Precision Rifle Training Location: Brenham

Tactical Ranch Location: El Paso

Visiting Instructors:

Suarez Tactics

Craig Douglas aka SouthNarc / Shivworks

John Farnam / Defense Training International

Rob Pincus / I.C.E. Training

Tactical Response

Lead Faucet Tactical
Last edited by Paladin on Thu May 18, 2023 3:34 pm, edited 110 times in total.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kalrog »

Thanks! Anyone have any feedback on any of these schools? I haven't heard anything about any of them...

John
Posts in topic: 2

Post by John »

I took a course at American Shooting Centers on Defensive shooting. I recall writing an outline of the course afterwards and should be able to find it on my computer somewhere. If anyone wants to see the outline, PM me.

The course was on defensive shooting and was a two day course with about 800 rounds fired. Only one person got shot during the course :shock: and no it wasn't me.
JohnC

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I've been to Tactical Trainers and learned quite a bit.

Rifles Only is recommended by Clint Smith

Tiger Valley is growing fast has some good recommendations
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

I've never been to any of those schools, but I have heard great reports from Karl Rehn's classes (KR Training).

Kevin

Poohbear

Forgot one of the best in Texas

Post by Poohbear »

Kyle Brown

Post by Kyle Brown »

Poohbear

Post by Poohbear »

I have no personal experience with these folks. They are located in Grandview, TX

Texas CQB, Inc.

brewer90

Post by brewer90 »

I have taken one of Karl's classes at KR Training. It was an intermediate class - I learned a lot and highly recommend him.

therooster

Post by therooster »

John wrote:I took a course at American Shooting Centers on Defensive shooting. I recall writing an outline of the course afterwards and should be able to find it on my computer somewhere. If anyone wants to see the outline, PM me.

The course was on defensive shooting and was a two day course with about 800 rounds fired. Only one person got shot during the course :shock: and no it wasn't me.
was it the class that David Burton was teaching? he told me he had someone shoot themself a while back.

i have taken a 2 day course with Paul Howe at http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com... the guy definately knows his stuff. good instructor, but might not be around much longer... he is probably going to work for triple canopy (you can read on his website). did i say he was a good instructor? ;-)
"live with honor, and let not your death be born by the pallbearers of disgrace, cruelty, weekness, and fear." - Justin Smith in a letter to Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

TXDPSA

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

A another review of Paul Howe:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=13&t=439317

"4 of us brave Okies ventured South to Nacogdoches, Texas to take Paul Howe's Advanced Tactical Rifle. We braved frigid temperatures, ice, rain and wind but all came away with a better understanding of fighting with the carbine.

There were a total of 13 brave souls and we had an excellent time. We were probably the last civilians that will train with Paul at least for the next couple of years.

We worked on barricades, movers, automobiles (of which someone broke the back glass) and shot the dreaded "Scrambler". Then we did pretty much the same thing at night using weapons lights and other lights.

If you don't know who Paul Howe is, read the book "Black Hawk Down". Then you'll know that Paul is one of the few who have been there, done that, and he doesn't mind imparting his wisdom on others (and he is a nice guy as well).

Attending this course were private security contractors headed for Iraq, law enforcment officers, fire fighters, college students, national guardsmen, a lawyer and one math teacher.

For you gear ------ out there, there were several Rock Rivers, a couple of Colts and several frankenstiens that outshot everything else. My own frankenstien 11.5" shorty functioned perfectly.

If you ever get a chance to train with Paul, or just meet him, jump on it. There are very few men of his caliber in this world and you should take advantage of every opportunity you have to meet them."

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Some recommendations for http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=13&t=436356

"Tac Pro Shooting center is now offering Force on Force training using Simunitions for CHL holders. If you have never experienced this type of training I strongly recommend it. Dealing with thinking, moving, human adversaries instead of paper targets provides an extrodinary intensity to the experience. It is an opportunity to experience as close to a real gunfight as possible without anyone dying or going to the hospital. Check it out."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I can second this course. I took the November Force-on-Force class and it was a great learning experience. Everybody in our class had at least two formal classes on pistol and we had several shooters who were llong-time IPSC shooters. Everybody who took the class learned something new and felt it was a valuable learning experience.

The role players were great as they were all accomplished shooters themselves; but played their roles exactly as briefed (sometimes flagging guns intentionally, allowing themselves to be distracted, approaching too closely), so you could get a feel for how to exploit certain situations to your advantage. However, if you didn't act immediately to take the advantage they offered, they were definitely capable of making you pay for it.

I think we did 10 scenarios over the two day course, which may not sound like much but believe me that you will still be processing the info from the first scenario after you have finished the last."

John

Post by John »

therooster wrote:
John wrote:I took a course at American Shooting Centers on Defensive shooting. I recall writing an outline of the course afterwards and should be able to find it on my computer somewhere. If anyone wants to see the outline, PM me.

was it the class that David Burton was teaching? he told me he had someone shoot themself a while back.

i have taken a 2 day course with Paul Howe at http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com... the guy definately knows his stuff. good instructor, but might not be around much longer... he is probably going to work for triple canopy (you can read on his website). did i say he was a good instructor? ;-)
Yes! Sorry i missed your post, but Yes, I was in that class, but it wasn't me who shot themself. :)

It was a young guy and he left his finger on the trigger when reholstering (safety was off) and shot a hole in the middle of his foot. After that, one guy droped out of the class because it freaked him out. David handled it all quite well and very professionally. This was at least two years ago.
JohnC

tsteven1

Thanks, Paladin

Post by tsteven1 »

I have been looking around at Texas training resources. I just got off the phone with Hoffner's down in Houston. (Thanks to your listing of Texas training schools.) I think I'll set up to study with them in later February in the 'Tactical Pistol I' course.
I've been looking at schools in other states too, but would prefer to stick with Texas. (I wasn't born here, but got here as fast as possible. '77)
I spoke with Brian Hoffner, and he sounds to be a good guy with structured priorities. I don't yet have my ideal carry weapon, but I'll take what I've got. (Bersa 380 Thunder.) As budget allows, I want a Springfield XD, but have decided to grab the training first.
God, Guns, & Country.

0DDJ0B

Post by 0DDJ0B »

http://www.apgtraining.com/

APG (Adrenalin Proving Grounds) is another school here in the area.

I've been to Tiger Valley and to APG. Both schools were great. I did a pistol class at APG and a carbine class at Tiger Valley.
Vince

"It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees."
Emiliano Zapata (1877 - 1919)

Return to “General”