Advanced self-defense handgun training in NE TX?

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
ViperTX
Posts in topic: 1

Advanced self-defense handgun training in NE TX?

Post by ViperTX »

Can anyone recommend some good instruction? I have moderate skills and a good grasp of safety and basics. I have plenty of range time, but no formal real world defensive training.

I'm not some GI Joe wannabe, nor am I some antisocial dork looking to convince myself I'm a Bad Dude. Neither do I want to take instruction from some Soldier of Fortune wannabe.

I'm simply a 46 year old man with a CHL (since '96) who wants to be sure that (heaven forbid) the situation ever arose where I had to defend myself or my wife, that I could do so effectively. An instructor with credentials/references, police trainer, or someone of that sort is more what I'm looking for. I'm not rich by any means, so I'm not looking for a week of private one-on-one instruction. Open classes would fine.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated. I live between Mt Pleasant and Sulphur Springs (about 1.5 hours east of Dallas on I-30.

Thanks

sheffd

Re: Advanced self-defense handgun training in NE TX?

Post by sheffd »

I am a member of Red River Firearms in Sherman. I shoot there at least every other week. The training that they have is great. The instructors are phenomenal. The have a class, "Personal Protection in the home taught by Ralph Riggs" class in May. Class prices are very reasonable. I know the class isn't exactly what you are looking for but it may be more than what you think. You might talk to Jason, the owner, or Brad Blankenship, the main instructor, and they might be able to put something together for you and others or at least be able to steer you to someone that has a program that would fit your requirements. The website for RR is http://www.redriverfirearmsllc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Let me know sometime and if this is relatively close to you, I'd be happy to meet you there some time. I live just north of Dallas and work in Gainesville. So, Sherman isn't that long of a drive for me. Besides, of all the gun ranges that I have tried, RR is the best for me. It's clean, albeit sometimes cold, the employees there are freindly and knowledgeable. They are most willing to help and offer advice.
You sometimes find your destiny on the road you chose to avoid it.

jdh2580

Post by jdh2580 »

Great to see two newbies to the board helping each other.

I'm sure there will be someone along shortly to give you more options.

Welcome aboard! :tiphat:

Remember: The 10-year old daughter rule.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Thank you jdh.
I fixed it for him. :thumbs2:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

G19TX

Post by G19TX »

I would just like to add my two cents about the "Personal Protection in the home" course and Red River Firearms.

I attended this course last weekend. Ralph Riggs had a a nice combination of instruction on the range (about 2 hr) and class room (about 6 hr). The range practice allowed us to try a number drills that you can't normally do on a range (which the class had all to itself-thanks to range's owner, Jason Webb). The class discussed practical things you can do to better secure your home, defensive senarios, and legal issues, including communicating with the police effectively.

It was my first visit to the Red River Range. I found it to be a clean, well ventilated and well lighted range. Each lane has its on programable target carrier-just punch in the distance in feet and the target is move to that distance. Pretty slick!

Overall, this was an excellent experience for the $150 course fee.

Luggo1

Post by Luggo1 »

I would check out some of Paul Howe's civilian offerings at CSAT

http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/calendar.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General”