Training with Spencer Keepers – May 2018

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Training with Spencer Keepers – May 2018

Post by oljames3 »

2018-05-31 / hsoi (John Daub)

https://blog.hsoi.com/2018/05/31/traini ... -may-2018/
Spencer made a great comment about grip: drive the fingertips into the palm. This is one reason I like taking “the same class” from another instructor: because I am likely to hear the same thing, but said in a different way. Grip is a big deal to me, given all the time I spend in the gym lifting heavy things. But take a moment and think about his phrasing: drive the fingertips into the palm. Try it. Make a fist or grip something the normal way you do. Now think about taking the tips of your fingers — not the pads, not the fingers as a general notion, but the tops, the tips themselves, and drive them into the meat of your palm. It’s a different notion, a different approach, and creates a MUCH stronger grip! Heck, the couple days I was in the gym after class, I gave myself this cue and found myself gripping the weights in a VERY different manner, a more effective manner. Yes, it’s more tiring, it’s harder — but only because I’m not used to it. It’s a better grip tho, so I’ll keep at it.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Training with Spencer Keepers – May 2018

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

oljames3 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:44 pm 2018-05-31 / hsoi (John Daub)

Spencer made a great comment about grip: drive the fingertips into the palm. This is one reason I like taking “the same class” from another instructor: because I am likely to hear the same thing, but said in a different way. Grip is a big deal to me, given all the time I spend in the gym lifting heavy things. But take a moment and think about his phrasing: drive the fingertips into the palm. Try it. Make a fist or grip something the normal way you do. Now think about taking the tips of your fingers — not the pads, not the fingers as a general notion, but the tops, the tips themselves, and drive them into the meat of your palm. It’s a different notion, a different approach, and creates a MUCH stronger grip! Heck, the couple days I was in the gym after class, I gave myself this cue and found myself gripping the weights in a VERY different manner, a more effective manner. Yes, it’s more tiring, it’s harder — but only because I’m not used to it. It’s a better grip tho, so I’ll keep at it.
It will also encourage you to keep your fingernails trimmed.

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flechero »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:53 pm

You guys have really long fingers or really small guns! I can't even come close to touching my fingertips to my palm with a gun in there.... :lol:

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

flechero wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:04 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:53 pm

You guys have really long fingers or really small guns! I can't even come close to touching my fingertips to my palm with a gun in there.... :lol:
In my normal grip, the fingertips of my right hand go into the palm of my left hand. But I do have pretty big hands, which as you know, means I have

Big gloves

Return to “General”