Project Appleseed Long Range Event Review

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 8

Project Appleseed Long Range Event Review

Post by Paladin »

Project Appleseed Long Range Event is a known distance rifle event out to 400 yards. I'm signed up for my first event and looking forward to it.

Texas Long Range Appleseed events (KD) are currently being held in New Braunfels
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Paladin

Re: Project Appleseed Long Range Event Review

Post by Paladin »

I had the chance to attend the New Braunfels Known Distance (KD) event. It was outstanding. If you've done a 25 yard Appleseed, the KD Appleseed is the next step to regaining your American heritage by becoming a rifleman.

On Day 1 we heard some new history stories, spent time zeroing at 100 yards, 200 yards, 300 yards, and 400 yards, as well as shooting two AQTs.

On Day 2 we heard a few more bits of history and spent time discussing Range Estimation along with a practical range estimation field exercise. Then we did a 25 yard zero, and shot multiple AQTs. We did a little 500 yard shooting for fun afterwards. Making hits at that distance builds a lot of confidence.

The event was a fun and true challenge. Appleseed AQTs are much tougher than the Army Rifle qualification, and high-dollar, Go-fast gear was no guarantee of success. Several shooters earned their Long Range Rifleman patch. The rest of us learned a lot and are ready to do it again.

The Appleseed schedule still shows a few open spots for November.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Deitz83
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Deitz83 »

I plan on doing an Appleseed event in 2019. An Appleseed organizer spoke at our club a few months ago.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

Deitz83 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:23 am I plan on doing an Appleseed event in 2019. An Appleseed organizer spoke at our club a few months ago.
I'm also going to do an Appleseed event next year. Recently heard a speaker from Appleseed when I was visiting Arlington Sportsmans Club, renewed my interest.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Are these events all rimfire only?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:08 am Are these events all rimfire only?
It is my understanding that some events are .22 only, but some allow centerfire. The next event in Ft. Worth on 10/28 is .22 only
https://appleseedinfo.org/location/?loc ... entid=5682
Some ranges are .22 rimfire only. At ranges that allow centerfire no rifle cartridges over 8mm cal or handgun cartridges over .45 cal are allowed.
Upcoming events for Texas:
https://appleseedinfo.org/schedule/?qst ... tate=Texas
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

bblhd672 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:24 am
Deitz83 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:23 am I plan on doing an Appleseed event in 2019. An Appleseed organizer spoke at our club a few months ago.
I'm also going to do an Appleseed event next year. Recently heard a speaker from Appleseed when I was visiting Arlington Sportsmans Club, renewed my interest.
I was at this event as well.

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:08 am Are these events all rimfire only?
Events in DFW are. Outside of DFW you can use larger calibers. I am waiting to see if my club host an event. If not I will travel to one.

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Greybeard »

I did my third 2-day event last weekend in Norman, Oklahoma. Helped son and 2 friends get the patch with 22s. It was another very enjoyable weekend with like-minded people. I got the patch years ago in Davilla, TX with score of 234 with a scoped 10/22.

Lingering car wreck injuries kept me from being able to do what I wanted to in prone position this time, so I shot most of the ATQ prone positions kneeling. I was shooting a scoped AR in 223 - which is much more challenging than with 22LR. The time limits of 55 and 65 seconds are much tougher when having to recover from the centerfire's recoil to get back on target. The best I was able to do on Saturday was a 180 and inched up to only a 201 on Sunday. But still learned some new things while running over 350 rounds thru my "beater" AR and got to spend real quality time with great people.

A handful of us walked over to the "long distance" range for about an hour Sunday afternoon. There was no formal shooting on paper there, but did get to ping some gongs.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

bblhd672 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:29 am
It is my understanding that some events are .22 only, but some allow centerfire. The next event in Ft. Worth on 10/28 is .22 only
https://appleseedinfo.org/location/?loc ... entid=5682
Some ranges are .22 rimfire only. At ranges that allow centerfire no rifle cartridges over 8mm cal or handgun cartridges over .45 cal are allowed.
Upcoming events for Texas:
https://appleseedinfo.org/schedule/?qst ... tate=Texas
Yes. Lots of people shoot the 25 yard Appleseeds with .22, as ammo is cheaper, and some events like Ft. Worth are restricted to .22 only.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I'm headed back to New Braunfels in October to hopefully earn a stack of Appleseed patches. Feeling good about Rifleman/Known Distance. With the Lords blessing and a little more practice I may have a chance at Distinguished. Wish me luck!

It's a fantastic event and there are still a number of spots open

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

So close!

Needed a 40/50 for my Long Range Rifleman patch... and I got a 39... missing one shot by less than a quarter inch. :banghead:

The weather was good, although some got a little hot Saturday afternoon.

ACSS ACOG and VTAC sling worked well... 20 inch rifle barrel with 55gr Wolf Gold ammo shot well and worked well with my ACOG bullet drop compensator.

I zeroed shooting the rifle off a 30 round magazine which worked well... Hit 5 round zero groups as tight as 2.4 MOA. The best that Wolf Gold is capable of.

But for the shooting stages I couldn't use the magazine for support. As is the norm for Appleseed, I used a sling. Getting the sling tight I got quite a bit of bullet deflection even at 100 yards standing and my groups opened up. To be expected for a standard (non-free float) barrel. I compensated by shifting my aim point. That worked decently, but it's hard to get consistency between stages with sling tightness.

Strongly recommend that if you are shooting an AR-15 platform at a KD Appleseed to use a free-floated barrel with the sling mounted to the handguard not the barrel. Those Long Range Patches strongly favored AR-15 shooters with free-floated barrels.

Was a little too excited my first day and could not relax enough to shoot like I normally do. Second day I had some excellent stages. For one of the 300 yard stages I hit 9/10 in the black. For one of the 400 yard stages I hit 8/10 in the black... but couldn't quite get the consistency right.

It was great to confirm my zeros at 25, 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards and to get some practice with the ACSS reticle as well as a refresher on things I had forgotten since last year.

While there is another event coming up in November, it will probably be next year before I get another crack at earning the patch. I intend to use a free-floated barrel next time.

Can't recommend getting out to this event enough. It's not easy, but totally worth it to build and maintain fundamental marksmanship skills in a positive environment.

Being able to practice standing, sitting, and prone at ranges out to 400 yards is an opportunity not to be missed.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Attended my third Known Distance Appleseed this weekend. What's great about it is that they are now doing these events near Gainsville which is a lot closer than New Braunfels for me. The student/instructor ratio was 2-1 on Saturday and almost 1-1 on Sunday. The only way you master shooting at distance is to shoot at distance in realistic conditions. It was very windy & cold Saturday, and started out below freezing Sunday. But I shot KD Rifleman through the weather conditions:

link

Sunday we had one cold bore shot, and one shot only at 250 yards to hit a Morgan's shingle (7x10"). I earned a patch for that as well:

link

Due to the winter weather conditions the instructors will also be sending me a Winterseed patch. It was a tough, but rewarding weekend.

Ran a LaRue 16 inch upper with an ACSS ACOG and Wolf Gold ammunition. My tightest group was just under 1 inch at 100 yards and the setup could regularly hold under 2 MOA. I lost a few hits due to the wind Saturday.

I still want my Distinguished Patch, so I'll be back with some better match ammunition to take another try at it next year.

A special thanks to Mr. Goin for hosting the event. He is an LTC instructor and needs our prayers right now due to some health issues he is facing. And thanks for to all the Appleseed instructors who made this event happen in adverse conditions.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

There are some special offers for Appleseed events going on right now. If anyone wants a half price discount to a traditional 25 yard event, PM me. I have some passes I can give you.

Return to “General”