KR Training

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

KR Training

Post by oljames3 »

The KR Training facility and range are about 50 miles east of Austin, Texas.

This link goes to the description of the KR Training facilities and A-Zone range: https://www.krtraining.com/AZoneRange/AZoneRange.html

This is a Google picture of the range:

I have only good things to say about KR Training facilities, staff, and classes. Of course, I am influenced by the fact that the A-Zone range is 35 minutes from my house, but this is just icing on the cake. I've been training with KR for the past 18 months. I've been on the A-Zone range for two springs, summers, and falls. I've seen heavy rain there on occasion, but never had difficulty on the firing line or in the parking area. The classroom facility is simple and functional: classroom, office, storage, bunkroom, kitchen, gunsmith room, 3/4 bath. AC works very well even in the hottest Texas summer. Several acres of land to the north of the range are available for training classes involving outdoors action and shooting.

The firing line on the main range is carpeted. This all but eliminates mud and magazine damage. Karl has installed a carport to cover the tables and gun handling area on the main range. During Tom Givens' class (6-7 OCT 18), on two occasions, we removed the cardboard targets from the range and took shelter. The firing line remained safe to use.

Weather in central Texas is much like weather in north Texas: hard to predict. Generally, you can reduce the rain forecast by 10 to 15 percent to get a more likely number. Oct 6-7, we had no rain on Sat (40%) and only scattered rain that interrupted training on Sun (60%).

I took my 21 year old son to KR for his pre-LTC training and to take Karl Rehn's LTC class. I have taken my 86 year old father, youngest brother (recovering from bone cancer), and three youngest sons to KR for training. I've completed KR's Defensive Pistol Skills program. I trust Karl, the KR instructors, and the A-Zone facilities with the training and welfare, on and off of the range, of my loved ones and myself.

I am a professional corporate developer and an Army trainer; certified by civilian and US Army authorities. I enjoy watching Karl and his instructors work, as well as guest instructors. Karl travels to present training in other states and hosts trainers from Texas and other states. Karl also appears in web and pod casts and guests hosts pod casts.

I live in Elgin, just 35 minutes from the A-Zone. I can recommend the Holiday Inn Express in Elgin. I've had family members stay there and have meet forum members who stayed at HIE while attending KR classes. Sunset Lodge is also available, but is not on a par with HIE. Karl's web site lists lodging in Giddings.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

montgomery

Re: KR Training

Post by montgomery »

My experience with Karl Rehn is the same: top tier professional. No bull, no fluff.

glock75

Post by glock75 »

I've been training there with Karl for several years now. Excellent trainer, critical thinker, and great shooting coach. I highly recommend.
NRA, DPS and Rangemaster Certified Firearms Instructor
RWDefense.com

flechero

Post by flechero »

Another past (and future) KR student here- I agree with the above- good people, well presented curriculum and good facilities. And if that wasn't enough, the prices are better than most.

:fire

rspeir

Post by rspeir »

Highly recommend! Looking forward to my defensive shotgun class in April with guest instructor Tom Givens.

Return to “General”