Risk-Based Planning

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Risk-Based Planning

Post by Paladin »

I keep thinking about Karl Rehn's RISK ASSESSMENT AND TRAINING NEEDS ASSESSMENT

Perhaps because I've also trained in emergency management and risk management it makes a lot of sense to me.

Karl's approach assumes personal safety is the primary goal and risk is best reduced by an all-hazards risks assessment followed by prioritizing areas for action.

His results are this:

With needs assessment as follows:

What is interesting is that General health/fitness and medical skills are primary training areas for Special Forces. Marksmanship, gun handling, and tactics are important too, but they are only pieces of the whole. You don't have to be as fit as a Navy SEAL to avoid common health risks, but it does take time and effort to stay in shape. I might nitpick Karl regarding the usefulness of things like carbine training, as a carbine makes a great home defense weapon or low light shooting, as shootings most often happen in low light...but his general approach is solid.

Fitness and medical skills are two fundamental areas of personal safety that not enough people train.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General”