Church Sample Training Plan

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
imkopaka
Posts in topic: 3

Church Sample Training Plan

Post by imkopaka »

Okay, so on another board I have a topic going about my church prepping a formal security team. We have a typical Sunday congregation of around 100 - not small (at least not for the size town we're in) but not nearly large enough to formally train and certify people in...well, anything. As such, I want to use my knowledge and experience for the benefit of the team by preparing and implementing a training plan.

I've composed and attached an outline for the types of things I want the team to train on, but I'd like some input from anyone who will give it on things I may have left off. Are there any topics you think would be important to include? Note this is an outline, so there are no details or actual training content except for a few notes I left for myself.

Edit: I realized 5 minutes after I posted this that I forgot verbal de-escalation. I'll add to my copy, but it won't show in this attachment.
Attachments
Church Training Plan Outline version 0.1.docx
(17.24 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Church Sample Training Plan

Post by Flightmare »

I assume 5d should be "Clearing stoppages", instead of "Cleaning stoppages" since 5d.ii. referenced Tap, Rack, Bang.

On 7j, I would change the phrasing from "eliminate" the threat to "stop" the threat. While most of us on the gun forum here understand what you are saying, this may be misinterpreted as the goal is to kill, rather than to stop a potential threat.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

flechero

Post by flechero »

That's a long list... I think you'll need professional help to cover a list like that.

Depending on your location... You might make a call to KR Training... they teach most of those subjects in one form or another. (or a local equivalent) He even has medics come in and teach classes fairly regularly. Sometimes they do a combo medic/pistol class.

I would bet that you could work up a deal to get a solid overview of the most important topics covered in private classes or weekend for your team. There would be cost but it's something that you can split up or maybe the church can pay or at least split. Maybe try for an initial dose of training supplemented by monthly or quarterly classes.

Anyone willing to join this team would probably be willing to pay for some training... as most people that would do this are already training to some degree or with some regularity.

rtschl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rtschl »

Two things quickly stood out on weapons safety rules:

Keep your weapon on safe until the potential for firing exists - If the need arises to unholster, it should be ready to shoot.

Missing from the safety rules (especially for church situation) - Be aware of people that may come in between you and the target

In the West Freeway Church shooting a week ago, Jack Wilson stated in an interview that the head shot was the only shot he had because people were in the pews that were not all the way down. That's one thing we remind our security team of: not only know what's behind the target, but what (who) may be in front of it.
Ron
NRA Member

Topic author
imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

Flightmare wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:12 pm I assume 5d should be "Clearing stoppages", instead of "Cleaning stoppages" since 5d.ii. referenced Tap, Rack, Bang.

On 7j, I would change the phrasing from "eliminate" the threat to "stop" the threat. While most of us on the gun forum here understand what you are saying, this may be misinterpreted as the goal is to kill, rather than to stop a potential threat.
Good catches! Got em corrected.
flechero wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:13 pm That's a long list... I think you'll need professional help to cover a list like that.

Depending on your location... You might make a call to KR Training... they teach most of those subjects in one form or another. (or a local equivalent) He even has medics come in and teach classes fairly regularly. Sometimes they do a combo medic/pistol class.

I would bet that you could work up a deal to get a solid overview of the most important topics covered in private classes or weekend for your team. There would be cost but it's something that you can split up or maybe the church can pay or at least split. Maybe try for an initial dose of training supplemented by monthly or quarterly classes.

Anyone willing to join this team would probably be willing to pay for some training... as most people that would do this are already training to some degree or with some regularity.
We aren't really looking to pay someone at this time. Maybe that will change in the future, but right now the money just isn't there - especially for this breadth of training. However I have been previously trained on every topic in this outline except for the church-specific ones (some of them I was once certified to teach). We also have some career law enforcement guys leading the charge who could assist with training. Would it be better to get a professional? Certainly. But when a pro is not available, mediocre training is better than no training at all.
rtschl wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:21 pm Two things quickly stood out on weapons safety rules:

Keep your weapon on safe until the potential for firing exists - If the need arises to unholster, it should be ready to shoot.

Missing from the safety rules (especially for church situation) - Be aware of people that may come in between you and the target

In the West Freeway Church shooting a week ago, Jack Wilson stated in an interview that the head shot was the only shot he had because people were in the pews that were not all the way down. That's one thing we remind our security team of: not only know what's behind the target, but what (who) may be in front of it.
I actually re-worded the "weapon on safe" rule from the one I was taught in boot camp ("keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire") specifically for that reason. When you are carrying away from home in condition 1, the potential for firing exists. I think the safety should be flipped off either just before or just after you holster (if holster and weapon design allow).

I initially thought being aware of people coming between you and your target would fall under "never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot," but I suppose it is a critical enough issue to warrant its own rule. I will add that.

Thanks for taking the time to help out y'all!

rtschl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rtschl »

imkopaka wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:29 pm
rtschl wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:21 pm Two things quickly stood out on weapons safety rules:

I actually re-worded the "weapon on safe" rule from the one I was taught in boot camp ("keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire") specifically for that reason. When you are carrying away from home in condition 1, the potential for firing exists. I think the safety should be flipped off either just before or just after you holster (if holster and weapon design allow).

I initially thought being aware of people coming between you and your target would fall under "never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot," but I suppose it is a critical enough issue to warrant its own rule. I will add that.

Thanks for taking the time to help out y'all!
You are correct that never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot covers what I added. But we emphasize it because in a congregation you will probably have a number of people that are in the immediate vicinity and might inadvertently get between you and the bad guy. That why I it is part of our training and mindset.
Ron
NRA Member

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

I would emphasize penal code chapter 9 on use of force....early in the training and often.
De-escalation techniques.
Recommended book - "Verbal Judo"

Topic author
imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

Grayling813 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:57 pm I would emphasize penal code chapter 9 on use of force....early in the training and often.
Definitely. I read Verbal Judo back in 2011 while I was deployed. Good stuff.

I added de-escalation techniques as soon as I realized I had forgotten them.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Grayling813 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:57 pm I would emphasize penal code chapter 9 on use of force....early in the training and often.
There are several books with the same main title but different sub titles by the same author. Is there a specific one or are they all the same?
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

troglodyte wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:31 pm
There are several books with the same main title but different sub titles by the same author. Is there a specific one or are they all the same?
This is the one I bought

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Rob72 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:48 am
1. Sheepdog mentality
  • Different from sheep, but not better
  • Cold and ruthless, but caring and devoted
  • Vigilant and calculated
  • Willing to kill, ready to die
Grossman is painfully overblown, and he published with intentional "shock value" for his time. He was attempting to explain his theory of violence to a generation that felt painting army barracks in pastels was an effective mechanism for subconscious team building and camaraderie.

I'm not in any way knocking you, or your goal, but the above would likely draw some trouble if handed out- it sounds like you're training a security team for 50-cent.

You may have simply cited this for ease of conversation, but I would change the phrasing, and definitely not use it in a formal/semi-formal training setting.

Verbalization, in training, during and after an event, is as, if not more, important than being able to handle a threat. Without paying for training and receiving a certificate that you have met certain standards, you (and your church) are assuming all of the legal burden of proving the competence and pre-incident mindset of the people in your group.

Force Science Institute has great free publications:
https://www.forcescience.org/news/

Craig Douglas, with Shivworks, put out Managing Unknown Contacts (MUC) several years ago, and it is a great hand-in-hand with a text like Verbal Judo, with emphasis on verbalization. Copies of the DVD are a bit dated, but very good.
PDF: https://homeguntraining.files.wordpress ... pdated.pdf
:iagree: with being careful what you put in writing and present. IF there is ever an incident involving your team, everything you've done/said/documented will be scrutinized by law enforcement, prosecutors and attorneys for anyone injured/killed.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The suggestions and feedback from all of the posters is spot on. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “General”