Former Green Beret Reveals #1 Shooting Drill You Aren’t Doing Right (or Enough!)

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Former Green Beret Reveals #1 Shooting Drill You Aren’t Doing Right (or Enough!)

Post by Paladin »

Article
In many ways, in fact, it is the single most useful drill we have for teaching effective combat shooting, whether with carbine or pistol....

Conclusion

I am not suggesting that you shouldn’t perform other drills. The basic snap drill though, should be a bread-and-butter staple of your practice diet. It will increase your ability to deliver a solid, first shot hit that may allow you more of a window to get follow-on hits. It will increase your ability to recognize “this is accurate enough,” when “perfect is the enemy of good enough.”
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

flowrie
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Former Green Beret Reveals #1 Shooting Drill You Aren’t Doing Right (or Enough!)

Post by flowrie »

I agree too.
I am amazed at how many folks with an LTC that carry fail to be able to draw, aim or just point and fire in a reasonable amount of time, 2 to 3 seconds. During a recent dry fire training event with a group of about 20 people, about half had major trouble just drawing from a holster. After the 2 hour training, many of them improved significantly. Practice, practice, practice.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

strogg

Re: Former Green Beret Reveals #1 Shooting Drill You Aren’t Doing Right (or Enough!)

Post by strogg »

I also very much agree. On a regular basis while at home, I will practice drawing from holster and hitting small targets with a laser. Aim small, miss small. I'd do that from random points of the house aiming at other random points. Laser aimers are an invaluable training tool, as that allows proper dry fire training. That way, while at the range, I just focus on recoil control and followup shot timing. Everything else comes naturally.

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

There is a ton you can do with dry fire, lasers, or airsoft... so all you really need is determination and the discipline to do the practice. I know of people who say they got 5,000 reps in with a dedicated long weekend of self practice.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Paladin wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:54 pm There is a ton you can do with dry fire, lasers, or airsoft... so all you really need is determination and the discipline to do the practice. I know of people who say they got 5,000 reps in with a dedicated long weekend of self practice.
I agree. I found that my shooting skill suffered when I stopped doing dry-fire practice, drawing from holster and concealment practice, etc.

I have a couple of John Mosby’s books, good stuff.
https://mountainguerrilla.wordpress.com ... -concerns/

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Karl Rehn, of KR Trainig https://www.krtraining.com/, wrote a series of blog posts about his presentation Rangemaster Tactical Conference about why folks don't get trainging beyond the state minimum and how to encourage them.
https://blog.krtraining.com/beyond-the- ... nt-part-1/

Karl and his chief assistant instructor, John Daub, recently published a book about the subject Strategies and Standards for Defensive Handgun Training book. I bought the Kindle version and a signed copy.
https://blog.krtraining.com/strategies- ... ning-book/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General”