Dot Torture Drill

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 5

Dot Torture Drill

Post by Paladin »

Since several forum members have been practicing on these for years, I gave the Dot Torture drill a try:

The website had a free target download. Enjoyed it. For 50 rounds it lets you try out decent variations of handgun shooting.

Cleaned the 8.5x11 sized target at 3 yards. Gonna try longer distances, time, etc. :cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dot Torture Drill

Post by oljames3 »

Folks who want to me about how to design and rank drills, get a copy of this book by Karl Rehn (krtraining.com) and John Daub.

https://blog.krtraining.com/strategies- ... ning-book/
“Strategies and Standards for Defensive Handgun Training” contains expanded and updated material from essays, blog posts, and presentations Karl and John have produced over the past 5 years. This publication organizes the older material, combines it with new content, and presents it as a comprehensive guide to developing strategies and standards for instructors and all individuals interested in handgun training.

Section 1, Beyond the One Percent, expands Karl’s analysis and thoughts on the challenge of motivating more than 1% of carry permit holders to train beyond their state’s minimum requirements.

Section 2, Minimum Competency for Defensive Pistol, shares John’s updated analysis and thoughts on what minimum standards should be. What skills are essential? What level of performance is a realistic acceptable minimum? Why testing and measurement of skills matters.

Section 3, Drills, includes guidance in how to calculate the relative difficulty level of any handgun drill, comparisons and analysis of many well known standard courses of fire, discussion of the development of the Three Seconds or Less test and KRT-2 target, and a recommended list of 10 drills as a progression of performance level and skill development any shooter or trainer could use to define standards for every level of handgun proficiency.

About the Authors: Karl Rehn is the lead instructor & owner of KR Training. His credentials include more than 2500 hours of coursework from more than 60 different trainers over the past 30 years. His certifications include USPSA Grand Master, IDPA Master, NRA Training Counselor, Texas LTC and School Safety instructor, Massad Ayoob Group Deadly Force Instructor and Rangemaster Advanced Instructor.

John Daub is senior assistant instructor for KR Training. His credentials include more than 700 hours of training in firearms, empty hand martial arts and combatives, medical, tactics and other self-defense topics. He is certified as an instructor by NRA, Rangemaster, Massad Ayoob, Cornered Cat, and KR Training.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Scott B. »

I worked Dot Torture, the 5x5 drill, and Vickers' 10yrd drill pretty heavily last year. This year I'm trying to mix it up with some new ones.

This is a finesse drill I created a while back. A tweak of others drills I've seen. I call it Dots 3-5-7 and it consists of 25 shots total. 10 at 3 yards, 10 at 5 yards, and 5 at 7 yards. Hits must cut the line. Passing is 50%. Print on standard letter sized paper.
dots.gif
Dots 3-5-7 delta.pdf
(248.18 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I like that drill. It looks like it would be great to add to your training. Here is a pretty cheap and simple way to accomplish almost the same thing.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Paladin wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:59 am Since several forum members have been practicing on these for years, I gave the Dot Torture drill a try:

The website had a free target download. Enjoyed it. For 50 rounds it lets you try out decent variations of handgun shooting.

Cleaned the 8.5x11 sized target at 3 yards. Gonna try longer distances, time, etc. :cheers2:
Your target looks like you did not score a single hit. Maybe try it with glasses on. :biggrinjester:

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:38 pm
Paladin wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:59 am Since several forum members have been practicing on these for years, I gave the Dot Torture drill a try:

Your target looks like you did not score a single hit. Maybe try it with glasses on. :biggrinjester:

My new phaser makes very small holes ;-)
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Scott B. wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:29 pm I worked Dot Torture, the 5x5 drill, and Vickers' 10yrd drill pretty heavily last year. This year I'm trying to mix it up with some new ones.

This is a finesse drill I created a while back. A tweak of others drills I've seen. I call it Dots 3-5-7 and it consists of 25 shots total. 10 at 3 yards, 10 at 5 yards, and 5 at 7 yards. Hits must cut the line. Passing is 50%. Print on standard letter sized paper.

dots.gif
Dots 3-5-7 delta.pdf
Looks good! I'll try that next. Been getting into the dot drills. Thanks! :cheers2:

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

carlson1 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:43 pm I like that drill. It looks like it would be great to add to your training. Here is a pretty cheap and simple way to accomplish almost the same thing.

Jerry's a legend!! :thumbs2:

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Paladin wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:09 pm
Scott B. wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:29 pm I worked Dot Torture, the 5x5 drill, and Vickers' 10yrd drill pretty heavily last year. This year I'm trying to mix it up with some new ones.

dots.gif
Dots 3-5-7 delta.pdf
Looks good! I'll try that next. Been getting into the dot drills. Thanks! :cheers2:
When I'm feeling particularly satisfied with my shooting, I'll break this out to get humbled. :fire

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Did a little shooting today. Took my unmodified M&P9 2.0. Range didn't allow holster, so this was all from the ready:

Cleaned the Dot Torture Drill at 5 yards.

Tried the Dots 3/5/7 Drill once:
You can see at 7 yards it took me a few rounds to hit my elevation, but once I found it I was on for the last 2 shots. Looking at the math, hitting a 0.5 inch circle at 7 yards makes me effective against someone with body armor at extended distances (80+ yards).

We should call it the Jack Wilson drill :coolgleamA:

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Nice shooting!

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Paladin wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:36 pm Did a little shooting today. Took my unmodified M&P9 2.0. Range didn't allow holster, so this was all from the ready:

Cleaned the Dot Torture Drill at 5 yards.

Tried the Dots 3/5/7 Drill once:
You can see at 7 yards it took me a few rounds to hit my elevation, but once I found it I was on for the last 2 shots. Looking at the math, hitting a 0.5 inch circle at 7 yards makes me effective against someone with body armor at extended distances (80+ yards).

We should call it the Jack Wilson drill :coolgleamA:
Much better! Looks like you found your glasses.Huge improvement over that first target you posted. :mrgreen:

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Re: the video with Jerry. I don't believe he actually missed those shots. I think he threw them specifically for purposes of illustration.... :biggrinjester:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “General”