Spraying scotch gard into leather holster to prevent bluing from being rubbed off

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Doug.38PR
Posts in topic: 1

Spraying scotch gard into leather holster to prevent bluing from being rubbed off

Post by Doug.38PR »

Tonight I stuck my dads blues M10 in my hip holster. Pulled it out and it had a gray streak going down the side of the barrel visible in a flashlight.
I rubbed my finger against it and the stripe was gone. On all my revolvers this is where bluing is commonly removed from holster wear.

Can scotch guard prevent this or will it actually helmet the gun bluing?

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Spraying scotch gard into leather holster to prevent bluing from being rubbed off

Post by AJSully421 »

Don't put any weapon that you care about messing up the finish in a holster, in fact, don't even take it out of the safe... ever.

Go buy something that you don't care if the finish gets messed up on. I recommend Glock.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Spraying scotch gard into leather holster to prevent bluing from being rubbed off

Post by Excaliber »

I spray the insides of my leather holsters with silicone.

It makes the draw smoother and I've had only minor blue wear on my carry guns, mainly around the muzzle.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Galco DRAW-EZ works well.

hovercat

Post by hovercat »

I would suggest placing the protection on the gun. Renessiance wax is ideal, but a good quality car wax will work.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Get all stainless steel guns. :lol:

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

The Wall wrote:Get all stainless steel guns. :lol:
That works, but stainless is much more easily noticed if your jacket blows partly open or falls away from your side as you bend.

That will be a nonissue after January 1.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Rvrrat14

Post by Rvrrat14 »

I"m a fanatic about my guns. I use a Safarilands ALS paddle which is lined and I carry a Glock or PPK/S stainless in a Fobus.

I have come to reality that these 'daily' use pistols are TOOLS of the trade. Just like my pocketknife, flashlight, etc. They all have marks on them because they are used on a daily basis and are subject to more exposure. When it gets worn enough, just have it Cerakoted and start over! BTW, that Cerakote 'worn finish' is bad A!

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Rvrrat14 wrote:I"m a fanatic about my guns. I use a Safarilands ALS paddle which is lined and I carry a Glock or PPK/S stainless in a Fobus.

I have come to reality that these 'daily' use pistols are TOOLS of the trade. Just like my pocketknife, flashlight, etc. They all have marks on them because they are used on a daily basis and are subject to more exposure. When it gets worn enough, just have it Cerakoted and start over! BTW, that Cerakote 'worn finish' is bad A!
Does your ALS not wear HEAVILY on the top of the slide, behind the barrel? All of mine do.

And don't let anyone tell you that the new Safariland 7ts series holsters will not wear on your pistol. I have one of those Lipseys all FDE glocks that I carry at the ranch and it has worn on all of the contact points. Of course, I am usually pushing brush or fixing roads on a tractor bouncing and vibrating around so that probably doesn't help.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Rvrrat14 wrote:When it gets worn enough, just have it Cerakoted and start over! BTW, that Cerakote 'worn finish' is bad A!
I've heard of that Cerakote finish color referred to as "Stolen Valor". :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Rvrrat14

Post by Rvrrat14 »

AJSully421 wrote:
Rvrrat14 wrote:I"m a fanatic about my guns. I use a Safarilands ALS paddle which is lined and I carry a Glock or PPK/S stainless in a Fobus.

Does your ALS not wear HEAVILY on the top of the slide, behind the barrel? All of mine do.

And don't let anyone tell you that the new Safariland 7ts series holsters will not wear on your pistol. I have one of those Lipseys all FDE glocks that I carry at the ranch and it has worn on all of the contact points. Of course, I am usually pushing brush or fixing roads on a tractor bouncing and vibrating around so that probably doesn't help.
Light wear if any. Discoloration maybe. Not worn thru/off.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Rvrrat14 wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:

Light wear if any. Discoloration maybe. Not worn thru/off.
Ok. I have a G17 that I have probably done 4,000 draws on various ALS and it has some lines that are starting to wear pretty good, but that is just the finish, the tennifer is still under there. The FDE Cerakote pistol has only been carried in the 7360 and is mostly wearing around the top edges by the front sight where the 7TS series has some contact points. it is getting pretty bad and it has only been with me to the ranch a dozen times.

Glad they are tools and not collector items.

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Every time I see this topic title, I think you should be spraying Pam instead of Scotch Guard. :biggrinjester:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Smokey wrote:Every time I see this topic title, I think you should be spraying Pam instead of Scotch Guard. :biggrinjester:
That reminds me of a joke about a young gunfighter, an old gunfighter, and a can of lard.

Sorry, can't tell it here... forum rules. :rules:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

remington79

Post by remington79 »

I wouldn't spray anything in the holster. If you're going to carry the finish will wear off. In this case you can consider it to be a working gun/tool. In the course of being used like this it will develop patina/character. If there was a gun that I was concerned about the finish it would be regulated for range use only and be a safe queen.
Sent to you from Galt's Gulch.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”