IWB Holster Recommendations...

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
newTexan
Posts in topic: 4

IWB Holster Recommendations...

Post by newTexan »

I'm sure others have asked this before, but..

I'm looking to move to IWB holsters for my EDC. As a um.. plump American. Not as plump as I used to be, but still got some way to go. If anyone has recommendations of products to consider that would be great.

Likewise, if there's any tips that any other plump folks want to share, I'm all ears.

Thanks y'all.

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Re: IWB Holster Recommendations...

Post by cmgee67 »

Depends on what you’re wanting. I prefer all kydex rigs. Everyone’s built different even when they are larger or smaller. I just ordered a rig from these guys https://legacyfirearmsco.com/

I’ve also used CYA holsters.

Crossbreed makes some leather, kydex hybrids that are quite nice as well.

I have also been looking a N8 squared tactical. From what I have heard they make really comfortable holsters.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Just a suggestion if your able. Having a bit of a spare tire myself, I decided to go OWB. My solution was to wear a T-shirt tucked in and then a button up shirt that I leave unbuttoned over it. That way my carry stays concealed yet I get the advantage of a quicker draw and it pulls the pistol more away from my body.

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

What gun is this for? I also prefer kydex, especially for IWB. I like the fact that they are rigid and make for an easy holstering of a gun. My two preferred brands are JM Custom Kydex and Raven Concealment. Comp-Tac is another good brand that I've used in the past that is also very good.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

cmgee67 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:01 pm Depends on what you’re wanting. I prefer all kydex rigs. Everyone’s built different even when they are larger or smaller. I just ordered a rig from these guys https://legacyfirearmsco.com/

I’ve also used CYA holsters.

Crossbreed makes some leather, kydex hybrids that are quite nice as well.

I have also been looking a N8 squared tactical. From what I have heard they make really comfortable holsters.
Although I’ve lost 72 lbs so far, I’m still on the "prosperous" side, and I’ll second CYA Supply holsters. I EDC a G19 in one, and I have a CYA holster for a G26 too. The holster my son made for me for my G43 is pretty much an exact copy of a CYA holster. I typically carry AIWB, but sometimes I’ll move it over to just behind my left hip (I’m a southpaw). Either way, it’s pretty comfortable…even for an old fat guy like me.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I have the Legacy for my P938 but I like the feel of leather over Kydex. Seems with my uh, rounded body shape, the Kydex tends to dig into me when I wear at 4:00 which is my normal position. I have a couple of Don Hume IWB. Oddly the one that I ordered for my Colt Defender also fits the P938 as well. I also have one for my commander sized 1911. Both leather holsters are extremely comfortable for me and after the initial break in I have no issues reholstering.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
newTexan

Post by newTexan »

Interesting ideas so far which I appreciate. My circumstances have changed and so I'm needing to adjust how I carry my stuff. IWB makes sense for me, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

My typical dress is either a tshirt with shorts or jeans (weekend) or a polo tucked into jeans (workdays). I mostly ride a desk for a living, but there's a dress code. The idea of putting a jacket/shirt over that and doing OWB is interesting but likely would not cover most days for me as it could be seen as a hazard in my work environment.

I was planning to use my Glock 19 for the most part, but have had my eye on a sig 365XL for a while also.

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

For some reason a lot of people don't like aliengear but my tuck cloak and kit have all been great and extremely comfortable IWB options.

I would recommend them. if you're going 3-4 oclock IWB.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

newTexan wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:38 am My typical dress is either a tshirt with shorts or jeans (weekend) or a polo tucked into jeans (workdays). I mostly ride a desk for a living, but there's a dress code.
There's quite a few holster options for IWB that are 'tuckable', meaning you can wear the holster IWB, then tuck your polo or collared shirt in over/around it. This leaves only the belt clip of the holster visible, which is generally innocuous looking (or, you can let a little bit of shirt material hang over the clip making it invisible).
I prefer AIWB for accessibility, but you can also tuck in at 4:30~5:00 position.

I'm a big fan of Crossbreed holsters, but I'm sure others can vouch for other manufacturers that are also tuckable.
newTexan wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:38 am I was planning to use my Glock 19 for the most part, but have had my eye on a sig 365XL for a while also.
These are both great guns. I almost exclusively carry a Glock, but the 365XL is definitely easier to conceal. A point to consider, however, is that the 365XL's grip is smaller & narrower that the Glock 19. If the Glock 19 fits your hands well, the 365XL may take a bit to get used to. A common issue I've seen is that when the shooter's hands are too big for a gun, their strongside fingers tend to wrap too far around the grip, putting pressure on the inside grip panel, which results in shots stringing inboard ((ie, a right handed shooter tends to pull shots to the 9 o'clock))..

Still an excellent gun, & the trigger is Sig-nificantly nice! The grip issue isn't insurmountable, but I'd recommend dry & live firing one to see if it fits your hand size well.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

I've carried several holsters, and I second the recommendations for the Crossbreed. Click here to check out some previous posts I've made about mine.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

ELB

Post by ELB »

Daily I have carried AIWB a Glock 19 or 19X for about 10? 12? 15? years using a raven concealment systems vanguard minimalist holster with a wing. It has been the most comfortable and most concealable holster I have tried, and like everybody else I tried a lot of different holsters and methods before finding this one. It’s not only comfortable, it’s not all that expensive, been about 40 bucks for years now.

https://rcsgear.com/vanguard-2-standard-kit

Raven makes a lanyard version of this, and they also have a vanguard 3 that I guess is even more minimalist.

You can buy them on Amazon.
USAF 1982-2005

equin

Post by equin »

My favorite IWB holsters include TTGunleather’s “Mike’s Special”, Milt Sparks Summer Special II, and Clinger Holster’s “Gear Holster” with cushion, all at around the 2:30 - 4:30 position. For AIWB, you may want something with little to no cant. I don’t carry AIWB, so I can’t really make any recomnendation on those.

I will say I find it difficult to wear IWB in the summer heat, especially when sweat gets on the grip and top part of the slide, even with a sweat guard. I’ve tried an undershirt to help with that, but I find it uncomfortably hot when working outside.

Also, some IWB plastic clips don’t retain the holster to the belt that well when drawing, resulting in you pulling the holster completely off during a draw. The best clips I’ve found, though, are the DCC metal clips that clamp and grab on to the belt really well.

The holsters that use belt loops, like the TTGunleather and Summer Special I mentioned above, work well to retain the holster to the belt, but their 1.5” belt loops can sometimes be too small to fit around some thick gun belts. You can order 1.75” belt loops, though, to help with that. And if the belt loops are of the roll-the-dot snap-on kind, sometimes they’re hard to properly snap closed if you don’t do it right, adding to the risk of pulling the holster off during a draw.

Just a few things I thought I’d mention when considering a holster.
Ed

Topic author
newTexan

Post by newTexan »

Great information. I appreciate all the thoughtful responses.

Based on y'alls feedback I have some leads to investigate. May also look into pocket carry options based on some comments I heard.

Thanks!

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

newTexan wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:13 am Great information. I appreciate all the thoughtful responses.

Based on y'alls feedback I have some leads to investigate. May also look into pocket carry options based on some comments I heard.

Thanks!
So I saw up above that you carry a Glock 19? Are you going to try and pocket carry that or a different gun?

I pocket carry, on occasion, my Glock 43, Ruger LCP, or LCR. Sometimes I will carry them in the opposite pocket/side from my main gun as a "backup". Don't think I would ever have to use either but mostly as an exercise as to if I could do it comfortable. Anyway, a lot is going to depend on what you wear and what gun you are using. Obviously tight jeans/shorts don't lend themselves will to do. Also gun size/weight play the other side of that card. Let us know how that goes. I'll be curious if you are trying to pocket carry the 19.

Topic author
newTexan

Post by newTexan »

No, I wouldn't try to pocket the Glock 19, that's just what I want to IWB. I would pocket carry something like a Ruger LCP or something like that. I don't own a pocket-carry gun at the moment, but that's fixable.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”