holster for a big person

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
drifteratheart
Posts in topic: 6

holster for a big person

Post by drifteratheart »

i've been searching around for a holster, and can't really decide on one. i'm a fat person 260+ and most of my clothes aren't "loose" on me. i was looking into getting the ctac but was worried about printing. do you guys have any other suggestion for an comfortable iwb holster for a p2k?

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flintknapper »

Welcome Drifter,

I am sure someone will respond with some good advice.

CHL holders come in all shapes and sizes, so as you are discovering...finding the right holster can be an arduous ordeal.

I understand the "skinny" folks have their own set of problems (I have to take their word on that). :smile:

Good luck to you Sir.

Flint.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jbirds1210 »

Hello friend-
As one who does not push himself away from the table often enough, :grin: I prefer something that snugs the gun in a little tighter. I have found that the CTAC is not the best option for fat boy carry...you may have a different experience.

I have had the best luck with the Comp-tac infidel with Ghurka attachment or a Milt Sparks summer special II. The comp-tac is faster, but the MS is more comfortable. I wear the Comp-tac about 99% of the time.

If you are going to carry IWB....you might get used to the idea of wearing an overshirt or a T-shirt underneath your T-shirt. Any gun against my skin is enough to drive me nuts. Being a bigger guy does not allow the luxury of a gap between your skin and the weapon. If I do not have the option of wearing two shirts.....I carry a j-frame in my pocket (rare).

I do not have the luxury of carrying a gun in the "kidney" area due to the grip sticking out. I carry in the 3 oclock position..almost directly above my right jean pocket A full size firearm in a canted holster like the ones I just described makes a full size firearm very hard to notice. Dont forget a quality belt....I prefer the Wilderness instructor belt, but there are plenty out there to choose from. Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions. If you are local......we can meet up and you can try mine out for a little while. Take care.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Hello drifteratheart. 260 was my birth weight. :lol: I make two of you. I like the pants with pleats and I use The Answer by Tucker leather for all of IWB carrys. I tried the comp tac and it was uncomfortable. I think the full leather of The Answer is "the answer." You can always go with OWB from Tucker, Milt Sparks, etc. . . I think "we (CHL)" notice more "printing" than the normal citizen. This is my .02. Welcome to the Forum.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Welcome, Drifter!

I also pack some excess avoirdupois. There are a couple of things I had to come to grips with: first, I had to adapt my clothes to my true weight, not what I hope I'll get down to in a few months. Second, I had to allow extra room in my cover shirts. I just go up one size, which gives me the look of a typical hefty 40-something guy.

I carry a full-size pistol OWB, so I don't have to change my pants size based just on what I'm carrying. But I do have to stick with always wearing an undershirt of some sort, as well as my cover shirt.

Holster selection is important, but don't forget the belt: they're a package deal. The best holster made won't do you any good on a Wal Mart belt.

Kevin

Topic author
drifteratheart

Post by drifteratheart »

thanks for all the replies, wearing an undershirt should be no problem since i do that regularly now. my gun came with a fobus owb holster, when i was trying it out, it would show when i bent over. i'll be looking into the suggestions given thanks!

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Mike1951 »

Another vote for the Tucker Answer. I weigh 335 and it is truly comfortable even for extended wear.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longtooth »

Welcome aboard drifter. I am a little child up against you guys. I did know that you would get some good answers.
Have a great day.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Welcome Drifter

I also knew you would get some good answers here.

So I will put in my .02. I carry either a full or commander size 1911, or a (for LT) GLOCK 21, or XD45. All are carried in a Don Hume OWB at 4 o'clock.

I weighed in at 220 and refused to go up in pant size for carry purpose. Now that I have quit smoking the scales continue to rise. Had back surgury in Dec. and exercise has been limited at best so I may have to buy a couple of those larger size pants that I don't want.

As stated in other posts, The people here are great and most would not mind letting you try some of theirs.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

RPBrown wrote:Welcome Drifter

I also knew you would get some good answers here.

So I will put in my .02. I carry either a full or commander size 1911, or a (for LT) GLOCK 21, or XD45. All are carried in a Don Hume OWB at 4 o'clock.
I got a lot of help here when I was trying to figure out a carry rig. I ended up using a Don Hume also. The Don Hume is economical and works well for my Ruger P95 which is not a small gun. I would continue to use it even if I decided to to use another holster for traditional concealed carry. I store my Ruger in it and it works well as a pocket carry in a jacket, or tucked between the car seat and console while I'm driving keeping the trigger protected. While most of the time I do carry on a belt it is nice to know that it does offer some flexabilty. I understand that storing a gun in leather isn't always concidered a good idea, but I wipe down the gun at least once a week with a silicone cloth, and it doesn't seem to mind.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I too am a large guy (5'11" 260) The secret is to learn to dress around the gun. Loose clothing and patterns are the best advise I can give. I like shirts a size larger and I only use OWB holsters because I have yet to find a comfortable IWB.

As I am writing this I have my S&W 3913 on my right hip in a Don Hume "First Agent" with the proper (loose fitting) cover garment the gun totally disappears.

Good luck in your quest and welcome.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
drifteratheart

Post by drifteratheart »

do you guys have a specific model from tucker, milt sparks, or don hume?

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

drifteratheart wrote:do you guys have a specific model from tucker, milt sparks, or don hume?
I have the Don Hume J.I.T Slide
Its Leather 2 slots: Miserable to remove gun from holster for about a week until broken in.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

drifteratheart wrote:do you guys have a specific model from tucker, milt sparks, or don hume?
Drifter: the Tucker model Carl and Mike mentioned is called "The Answer": http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/answer.html.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

The Milt Sparks I prefer is the Summer Special II.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”