Question about gun possession for holster making...

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
asbandr
Posts in topic: 5

Question about gun possession for holster making...

Post by asbandr »

I've been making leather holsters and have alot of people interested in them. However I have to physically have the gun to mold the holster and so far I haven't been able to do any for others because I don't have the same gun to mold with. Most customers are willing to leave the gun with me for a week for me to make a holster, but I've heard I would have to have an FFL to do that. Could anyone tell me if that's true and if there are any other options? I don't want to use blue guns because it would cost nearly what I charge for the holster just to get the blue.
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Question about gun possession for holster making...

Post by EEllis »

I'm sure there are people who are more in the know than I but the only reason I know that you would need an FFL is for shipping. You aren't selling guns so why would you need a FFL except for shipping? I think Blue guns would be the cheapest and easiest option aside from using a real firearm. There are red guns and aluminum replicas but they seem like they might not be as finished as the blue guns so you might have to work on them to make them perfect. The benefit to the metal guns would be toughness if you press fitting.You can also get the blue gun unpainted from the manufacturer so you don't have to worry about color transfer. I also have to say that you not being willing to spend $40 on a blue gun for at least common models would prevent me from ever buying from you. I get where if it were unusual or exotic you might need to use the gun but it would sure have to be something special for me to leave a glock or beretta with any holster maker.

Topic author
asbandr

Post by asbandr »

I'm just getting started at this time. For what is a fair price for the holsters I would be upside down and losing money if I were to buy blue guns for all of the popular models in addition to the cost of materials. I wouldn't mind getting them but I have never set myself up to lose money just to try and make some without even knowing how long it would take me to recoup what I put in. So far the people that are interested in having me make them a holster have been more than willing to let me mold off of their gun, it's me that won't at this time because I'm not sure about the law. If a customer isn't cool with me molding off of their gun and I don't have the same model to do it with, then that's fine, I understand. Thanks for the input.
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Just my thoughts: You do not need to have an FFL. If you are shipping firearms that might lead to a whole different level.
Types of Federal Firearms Licenses
To become a dealer, you’ll need to get your federal firearms license (FFL). There are nine different types of licenses, and they vary based on what you’d like to actually do in the firearms market. The licenses range from manufacturing ammunition to buying and selling firearms to manufacturing or importing destructive devices (think big, fancy, military type weapons). There are classified as follows:

Type 01- Dealer in Firearms/Gunsmithing

Type 02- Pawnbroker

Type 03- Collector of Curios and Relics

Type 06- Manufacturer of Ammunition of Firearms

Type 07- Manufacturer of Firearms/Ammunition

Type 08- Importer of Firearms/Ammunition

Type 09- Dealer in Destructive Devices

Type 10- Manufacturer of Destructive Devices

Type 11- Importer of Destructive Devices

Topic author
asbandr

Post by asbandr »

Awesome. Thanks for the info. My husband wondered if it could fall under gunsmithing but I wouldn't be doing anything to the gun itself, just have it in my possession.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

Heaven help you if you inadvertently accept a firearm from someone who is not a legal Texas resident (federal felony).
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

I would consult an attorney. I wouldn't risk federal prison for free advice on the internet. Although it is helpful, when it comes to firearms laws and a business...

Topic author
asbandr

Post by asbandr »

Thanks. I've sent an email to my lawyer.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

One of the old time holster makers in southern California who made a bunch of gear for the movies got busted by the BATF'ers F-Troop for having a couple of actual handguns on premises that they were in the midst of making carry rigs for. Never knew how that turned out but from a long distance it sounded like some sort of federal agent's grudge against the store or its owner had come into play.

Regarding:
Jumping Frog wrote:Heaven help you if you inadvertently accept a firearm from someone who is not a legal Texas resident (federal felony).
Thought I should add another wonderful ca-ca tidbit imposed by our ignorant overseers. A felon or other person disqualified from possessing firearms is not committing a crime when they hand a firearm over to you (although they have already committed a different crime by merely possessing the firearm), but you commit a crime when you hand their firearm back to them. :banghead: :banghead:

Never expect laws and regulations to make any sense. :grumble
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

mtnthundr2

Post by mtnthundr2 »

How about if, in the beginning, you added a $20 'surcharge' for any gun that you do not have a blue gun for and then offer a $20 coupon for their next purchase (but not redeemable until 3 months from the date of purchase)? This would help pay for your blue guns, keep you legal. and would cut down on your out of pocket 'start-up' expenses. You would still be paying for the total cost of the blue guns (when you count the coupon use) but it would stretch out your start-up costs to a time when the business might be in a better place financially.

For me, I would much rather support someone locally than to buy from a large corporation and would be happy to pay the surcharge to help a start-up business.

Your holsters are beautiful and I wish you well with your endeavors!
5-28-14 Upload documents - 6-26-14 plastic in hand
~ Never let your fear decide your fate ~

Topic author
asbandr

Post by asbandr »

Thank you all for your comments and support. I did hear back from my lawyer and he said that I would not need an FFL to take temporary possession of the guns. I will be picky about who I make holsters for and am right now working with a few guys from a local gun range to make them holsters. They suggested the possibility that the range manager might let me mold the holsters off of the rentals in the shop. Not sure how all of that will pan out yet, but would be great. I'll keep in mind the idea for adding in a blue gun purchase price. Should I get payment before making the holster or after?
As far as the possibility of taking a gun from and returning it to someone illegal to have one, I'm not too concerned. I do not believe that taking temporary possession of a gun that remains to be the customers gun would mean mean I am supplying them a gun upon return. Again though, I intend to be picky about who's gun I will take for holster making.
I have made some waivers stating that the customer cannot hold me liable for any damages to their gun and that I agree that the gun will not be used for any purposes other than holster making. Also that from the date signed I have no longer than 4 weeks to return their gun.

victory

Post by victory »

Jumping Frog wrote:Heaven help you if you inadvertently accept a firearm from someone who is not a legal Texas resident (federal felony).
I would also carry enough business insurance in case somebody claimed I damaged their gun.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Jumping Frog wrote:One of the old time holster makers in southern California who made a bunch of gear for the movies got busted by the BATF'ers F-Troop for having a couple of actual handguns on premises that they were in the midst of making carry rigs for. Never knew how that turned out but from a long distance it sounded like some sort of federal agent's grudge against the store or its owner had come into play.

Regarding:
Thought I should add another wonderful ca-ca tidbit imposed by our ignorant overseers. A felon or other person disqualified from possessing firearms is not committing a crime when they hand a firearm over to you (although they have already committed a different crime by merely possessing the firearm), but you commit a crime when you hand their firearm back to them. :banghead: :banghead:

Never expect laws and regulations to make any sense. :grumble
Unless she knew they could not legally own the firearm how would she be breaking any laws? She is not an FFL so she has no way of knowing if they are felons or not )or otherwise prohibited).

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

asbandr wrote: Should I get payment before making the holster or after?

always, always, get a minimum of 50% up-front. and if it's something "odd", that you know you would have difficulty selling off of a website if they don't pay the remainder later, such as...a strange color match, or lettering, get everything before you cut the leather.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”