I NEED to find the perfect OWB holster!

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 7

I NEED to find the perfect OWB holster!

Post by surferdaddy »

Ok, so my drawer of holsters has turned into a box of them and now I am considering a tote to contain all of my attempts at finding a holster which suits my needs. I have grown tired of wasting money. So my issues are as follows.

I carry a Glock 27. I have many other...a few other defensive implements but my glock and I are pals; I trust it, love it's size/weight to firepower ratio and I wield it well enough to be considered effective. As much as I like my glock, it is a bit chunky and fully loaded has some heft. So, I've tried many IWB holster ranging from standard hybrid to Nate² to all leather to all kydex. I found the nate to be the most comfortable but even it always seemed to pull my britches down as I am a bit lacking in the trunk department. I generally use a wilderness tactical 5 stitch 1 3/4" instructors belt but also have kydex reinforced leather rigs that I use as well; good belts. IWB=no good for me.

So on to OWB holsters. I've had a few in leather; dm bullard side guard/dual carry, desantis pancake. All dug in to me if worn long enough. So I'm now thinking kydex owb. I can't seem to find a holster with what I hope will make a holster work for me.

I would like:
A generous curvature as I like to carry 3 o'clock or just in front of hip bone (2:45 ish)

A mostly flat back to minimize pressure points; most molding on the front.

Adjustable height and cant would be nice.

Maybe a comfort lining on the back to further eliminate hot spots.

Good close to the body carry for concealment.

Body shield.

Would be nice to be able to switch loops for different belt sizes.

Now, if anyone knows of a maker who has all these features; you could just save me a lot of money. And thanks for reading about my issues as I'm a desperate man.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I NEED to find the perfect OWB holster!

Post by Beiruty »

How about Blackhawk Sepra with a good and stiff gun belt?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Beiruty wrote:How about Blackhawk Sepra with a good and stiff gun belt?
I did at one point try one for my m&p; It was actually more comfortable than I anticipated. I'd say the only place I felt it lacked a bit was in concealability, it was my only foray into paddle holsters. I have seen that they are available with loops; I wonder if it would be significantly more discreet?
CHL/LTC instructor

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

surferdaddy wrote:Ok, so my drawer of holsters has turned into a box of them and now I am considering a tote to contain all of my attempts at finding a holster which suits my needs. I have grown tired of wasting money. So my issues are as follows.

I carry a Glock 27. I have many other...a few other defensive implements but my glock and I are pals; I trust it, love it's size/weight to firepower ratio and I wield it well enough to be considered effective. As much as I like my glock, it is a bit chunky and fully loaded has some heft. So, I've tried many IWB holster ranging from standard hybrid to Nate² to all leather to all kydex. I found the nate to be the most comfortable but even it always seemed to pull my britches down as I am a bit lacking in the trunk department. I generally use a wilderness tactical 5 stitch 1 3/4" instructors belt but also have kydex reinforced leather rigs that I use as well; good belts. IWB=no good for me.

So on to OWB holsters. I've had a few in leather; dm bullard side guard/dual carry, desantis pancake. All dug in to me if worn long enough. So I'm now thinking kydex owb. I can't seem to find a holster with what I hope will make a holster work for me.

The Kramer Leather MSP works fine for me. I have one for my Colt Detective Special and one for my Beretta PX-4 SC. Both of these handguns are fairly wide, but they conceal well with an oversized shirt or a thin coat. I carry with a Beltman bullhide belt.
I would like:
A generous curvature as I like to carry 3 o'clock or just in front of hip bone (2:45 ish)
The MSP is a paddle holster. The paddle is curved for 3 o'clock carry.

A mostly flat back to minimize pressure points; most molding on the front.
See above.

Adjustable height and cant would be nice.
The MSP rides high, like a OWB holster should, and has the 15 deg FBI cant.
You can also order a vertical rake, if you want.

Maybe a comfort lining on the back to further eliminate hot spots.
Not needed IMO. Wear a T-shirt.

Good close to the body carry for concealment.
That will probably depend more on your CCW rather than the holster.

Body shield.
Comes standard.

Would be nice to be able to switch loops for different belt sizes.
It is a paddle holster so loops are not needed. There is a loop to keep you from pulling the holster from your belt, but it works without it.
The paddle makes it easy to put on and take off.

Now, if anyone knows of a maker who has all these features; you could just save me a lot of money. And thanks for reading about my issues as I'm a desperate man.

Surfer
Not perfect, but the best I can suggest. :tiphat:

NRA Endowment Member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Check out the Silent Thunder holsters from Garrett Industries.

I have one from when they were made by Tucker. It's incredibly comfortable, at least for me.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Rrash
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rrash »

I'm more of an IWB guy, but I recently bought a Raven Concealment Phantom Holster. It conceals really well - the best OWB holster I've owned as far as that is concerned. You can adjust the cant somewhat, but no extreme angles. It does not have any retention devices, but the kydex is really tight. You would not have to worry about your gun falling out, just a gun grab situation. It is really comfortable when I drive as well. I wear it when I'm layered up.

Topic author
surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Thank you all for the suggestions. I like the look of the msp, I know that kramer makes good stuff; my only concern would be concealment. While most of the public are fairly oblivious to a little bulge, my somewhat anti-gun wife is not; I don't want to get the "look." I would love to try it but it would be the cherry on top of my holster heap if it didn't work out.

Someone needs to holster "showroom" where one could try on these things and see if they are compatible. Maybe a Netflix of holsters where you are sent ones you want to try for a trial, then you could send them on to the next person who wants a try and you could get the next one in your queue.
CHL/LTC instructor

Topic author
surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Pawpaw wrote:Check out the Silent Thunder holsters from Garrett Industries.

I have one from when they were made by Tucker. It's incredibly comfortable, at least for me.
Hey Pawpaw, do you use the silent thunder or the stx version with the wings?
CHL/LTC instructor

Topic author
surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Rrash wrote:I'm more of an IWB guy, but I recently bought a Raven Concealment Phantom Holster. It conceals really well - the best OWB holster I've owned as far as that is concerned. You can adjust the cant somewhat, but no extreme angles. It does not have any retention devices, but the kydex is really tight. You would not have to worry about your gun falling out, just a gun grab situation. It is really comfortable when I drive as well. I wear it when I'm layered up.
I have been thinking that a raven style kydex pancake may be the ticket. My only concern is its inside layer pressing on a hipbone or some other fleshy bit. Do you wear yours around 3:00 ish by chance?
CHL/LTC instructor

Rrash

Post by Rrash »

I'll try to take a picture of the Raven holster later if I get a chance. This will be my 2nd "selfie" ever taken - both demonstrating the concealability of various holsters. Also, keep in mind that many respectable holster manufactures have a "try it free" no questions asked return policy for the first two weeks of ownership.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

surferdaddy wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:Check out the Silent Thunder holsters from Garrett Industries.

Hey Pawpaw, do you use the silent thunder or the stx version with the wings?
If I were to try to replace mine with the exact same holster, I think it would be the Silent Thunder Champion,

When I bought mine from Tucker, there were no different models. Mine came with both the belt slide and paddle attachments. I put the paddle on and have never felt the need to change it. In fact, I don't even know where the other part is. :lol:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mrvmax »

Rrash wrote:I'm more of an IWB guy, but I recently bought a Raven Concealment Phantom Holster. It conceals really well - the best OWB holster I've owned as far as that is concerned. You can adjust the cant somewhat, but no extreme angles. It does not have any retention devices, but the kydex is really tight. You would not have to worry about your gun falling out, just a gun grab situation. It is really comfortable when I drive as well. I wear it when I'm layered up.
I agree, I have a bravo Concealment on order. I will compare that to the Raven when I get it.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

surferdaddy wrote:
Beiruty wrote:How about Blackhawk Sepra with a good and stiff gun belt?
I did at one point try one for my m&p; It was actually more comfortable than I anticipated. I'd say the only place I felt it lacked a bit was in concealability, it was my only foray into paddle holsters. I have seen that they are available with loops; I wonder if it would be significantly more discreet?
Some folks don't like the serpa and for various reasons. I've been using one for probably 8+ years and haven't been made yet. Yeah, it's not the most concealable holster, especially when carrying a double stack .45, but I still haven't had a swat team, LEO, or anyone else ask me what that bulge is yet. Some folks conceal full size 1911's or full size double stacks without any problems. You've heard it before, most people don't notice little things like a small little bulge on someone's hip through a shirt. And untucked shirts are a valid style now.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Thanks all for the help; gotta go to work, I'll check in later.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor

Rrash

Post by Rrash »

Here are some pictures of the Raven. I wore it to work today. Nobody noticed.
Image[/size]

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”