Horizontal Mag Pouch anyone?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 1

Horizontal Mag Pouch anyone?

Post by BCGlocker »

Do you think horizontal mag pouch carry is more concealable? It seems to me it may be less likely to print, your thoughts?

Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

baldeagle

Re: Horizontal Mag Pouch anyone?

Post by baldeagle »

This is just my opinion, but I don't think horizontal would be better. I think it would be worse. The reason is that while your body turns and twists, the mag and its pouch will remain rigid. So I would expect it to stick out at various times and make an observant person wonder what was under there. Vertical pouches do the same thing, but it's less noticeable, because it only happens when you're bending forward or backward rather than side to side.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

joe817

Post by joe817 »

I saw a Ft.Worth policeman with a triple magazine holder right above his belt buckle, in front.(yes, triple...I did a double take on it, having never seen one before), as Mrs.joe817 & I were leaving the Fat Stock Show Rodeo back in February. The hall way circling the rodeo arena was packed with people like a sardine can and we were shuffling along. The slow pace gave me a good chance to take good look. :shock:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Would there be more of a risk of it falling out. Especially if it's like the one in the photo. Your arm moves back and forth in that direction and over time it may work it's way out of the holder. Won't know unless you try it I guess. It looks cool that's for sure. :cool:

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Actually tried it for IDPA matches, it slowed down my already slow reloads.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I used to carry horizontal magazine carriers on duty back in the 80's and never had problem.

I still carry one horizontal magazine (G19) concealed daily and I have zero problems.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I have thought about trying horizontal, but think it might be better only if they are singles that stay in line with the belt. I like to carry two spares in a double carrier and think two spread out along my belt would be awkward.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I conceal only the pistol. Magazines are out in the open in a ballistic nylon pouch wiht a cover flap.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

ELB

Post by ELB »

I think horizontal may carry more easily and be more comfortable especially if carried in front, and I am going to give it a try. I have a single IWB vertical carrier right now, on a strap, which I carry at the left appendix position, and it just naturally pivots around the attachment point and ends up at a mostly horizontal diagonal. Since 99% of the time I wear an untucked T-shirt or polo-shirt, I think I'm just going to get an owb horizontal mag carrier. Probably a double, maybe both, see how it goes.
USAF 1982-2005

Rrash

Post by Rrash »

I find it much more comfortable and concealable in the vertical position. When it is horizontal, it starts to look like the grip of a handgun on me when I turn certain ways. I don't go through as much of an attempt to conceal the mag holster, and I've been outed twice in the last 4 years for it - once by a friend and once by a security guard. They both assumed it was a knife pouch or a phone case of some kind. Both times, it really wasn't an issue, although I did discreetly move my mag pouch to my pocket the time the security guard saw it.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I wear one but not in Kydex and I use it for my EDC. Mine is actually made for a larger caliber but I am able to carry two of my Colt Government 38 mags or two Sig 938 mags in it. Being EDC I am not concerned about the extra second or two it takes for me to get it out for a reload. I would rather carry two spare mags in a carrier that is harder to get to than to not have them with me at all.
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/425022 ... aQodgIsAMQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”