Question about pancake type holsters

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 3

Question about pancake type holsters

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Okay, so I've seen I don't know how many pancake type holsters out there, but never owned one before. I read reviews and how much people liked them. I somehow got it into my head that pancake was the way to go. So, I ordered one for a full-size revolver from a custom maker. It wasn't break the bank expensive, but I wouldn't call it cheap, either. However, once I got it, and put it on, I found it to be rather uncomfortable. It's hard to position relative to my belt loops (and yes, I got a real gunbelt from the same maker). Also, it seems that the stiff gunbelt doesn't conform very well to the shape of the holster, effectively making the gunbelt about an inch shorter than it's actual length. So, I'm wondering now what everyone finds so great about them, or what I am doing wrong in wearing it. Any suggestions, constructive feedback, or personal experience with pancake holsters would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jago668
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Question about pancake type holsters

Post by Jago668 »

Maybe just need some break in time? That is often the case with leather goods.
NRA Benefactor Member

karatedad
Posts in topic: 2

Post by karatedad »

I have 3. For a full size 1911, a 4" XDs w/laser, and a J-frame. The 1911 and J-frame formed to me and got comfortable within 2 days of wear. That's 2 full days. The XDs was so stiff and tight that I had to realign the laser after getting it broken in. That took about 4 days. It requires a little patience but I don't want any other style of holster for my daily carry.

Shadow41

Post by Shadow41 »

I went with a pancake style because it holds my gun high and tight to my side. I use a Tucker for my BG380 and a Desantis for my Shield and usually carry at either 2:00 or 3:00 depending of which one I'm carrying. I've never carried a revolver so I can't speak of any experience with one, but it took a bit of time getting used to with it sitting high on the side. The DeSantis has 3 loops to carry either straight or at about a 15* cant. I find that straight tends to dig into my hip a bit so I carry it with the 15*. The DeSantis is also a lot stiffer than the Tucker. I don't know if this helps but that's been my experience using a pancake anyway.

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I appreciate the replies so far. Just to add something, one of my main issues is that it makes it almost impossible to sit down. If folks don't mind saying, what clock position on your body do you wear your pancake holster?

karatedad
Posts in topic: 2

Post by karatedad »

K.Mooneyham wrote:I appreciate the replies so far. Just to add something, one of my main issues is that it makes it almost impossible to sit down. If folks don't mind saying, what clock position on your body do you wear your pancake holster?
Between 3 and 4. Usually closer to 4.

In your original post you said you bought a holster for a full size revolver. Would you please be more specific? Which make, model, and barrel length? If it is too long there is no way you are going to sit with it.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I have never been so hungry that I needed to carry pancakes in a holster for quick consumptions. :lol:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

Just wear it. Leather needs to be used a bit to loosen up.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I'm a lefty and wear mine at about 8:00. The belt loops on some pants do get in the way. That is one reason I prefer my IWB holster.

As I move my OWB holster closer to the 9:00 position, the more it tends to pull my pants down. I have a mediocre holster and good gun belt. However, I believe it's more due to my build than my gear. :oops:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I carry a full-sized Glock in one. It is one of the most comfortable holsters I own.

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jketchum

Post by Jketchum »

This is my favorite type of holster, I have 1 for my 1911's, xds and sig p239.
I like how they carry high and tight. Makes CC super easy.

All mine are custome made and angled (what deg? I have no clue)
each one has required break in time. 1 in particular I wore must of the day around the house with an without the gun in it.i I actually think wearing it without the gun and cinching your belt down tight hepls form it better and quicker.

I carry it at 3:00-3:30

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I carry a full-sized Glock in one. It is one of the most comfortable holsters I own.

:cool:

Okay, which of the pictures are flipped? The two left-handed ones or the right-handed one?
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

atx2a

Post by atx2a »

K.Mooneyham wrote:I appreciate the replies so far. Just to add something, one of my main issues is that it makes it almost impossible to sit down. If folks don't mind saying, what clock position on your body do you wear your pancake holster?
4 o'clock. Put the belt through the back slot in the holster, then through my belt loop, then through the other slot in the holster. Holds it nicely and distributes the weight.
Austin, TX
Speak softly and have a helluva double tap.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:Okay, which of the pictures are flipped? The two left-handed ones or the right-handed one?
Good catch! I didn't even notice, but there IS an explanation.......

I took the first picture of the holstered gun laying on a table.

I took the second picture, of me, in a mirror - thus the image is reversed, but the gun is actually on my left hip.

My wife took the third picture.

:mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”