Womens carry options?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Muttley
Posts in topic: 2

Womens carry options?

Post by Muttley »

Hi guys, it has been awhile since I've posted but I'm needing some expert advise. My wife wants to get her CHL but how to carry is a concern. We have a 4 year old daughter and a 6 year old son. Our first thought was concealment in a carry type purse. The problem with this is the kids sometimes will go into her purse. This is especially true of my son who is autistic and is always looking for my wife's phone to play video games which he really loves to play and can be very stealthy in his attempts to get to my wife's phone in her purse. His autism affects his understanding of personal space and his love for video games sometimes overrides his knowledge of the trouble he gets into for going into his mothers purse. He doesn't understand the dangers of a gun and the thought of him getting his hands on one are to terrible to even think of.
With all of that being said what are some other ways my wife could comfortably carry other then in a purse? Also she will most likely be carry a revolver for simplicities sake. Thanks for your help!
"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens...
I'm gettin' tired of all your gas, now jerk that pistol and go to work!
I said throw down, boy!"

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Womens carry options?

Post by flintknapper »

We don't have any details as to the daily activities of your wife and children, but unless there is some pressing reason to be concerned for their safety, I would advise that you seriously consider the risks vs. the benefits of having her armed at this time.

Perhaps less lethal instruments (OC spray) might be the safer thing until the children are older?

Clearly, purse carry would present an opportunity for inquisitive minds/hands to get into potentially lethal trouble. Even if She kept the weapon on her person, you would have to extremely careful not to allow access to it, 100 % of the time. Then there is the matter of safe storage in the interim. Just sounds too high risk to me...at this time.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

On body carry is always preferable to purse carry. Purses get stolen, purses get rifled through by kids, and purses are not always right there within arm's reach.

My wife uses a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe IWB holster about 2/3 of the time, and she uses a Remora holster the remainder of the time. She always carries on body, and they work well for her.

One challenge she used to have was that she didn't wear a belt. But Crossbreed has the new UltiClips that grip on the side of her unbelted waistband and hold tight.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

a lot of it depends on what she wears, is she a jeans girl? or dress and skirt type?

I do agree that with small children around she needs to keep it on body. Here are a few sites for her to start at, now these are in addition to your basic "holster at the waist" option. I understand the desire for a revolver because of simplicity and because I simply didn't "get" the semi, that's what I did, but I fairly quickly moved to a semi-. I now have a curve, an LCP and an LC9 ;-)

there is the Can Can series, the hip hugger could work great with a skirt or anything with a waist. The draw would be at the waist.
They also have a nice garter, that would work with a dress. The draw would be from below.
http://www.cancanconcealment.com/

The UnderTech Concealment has several different options. I have thought that the shorts would work under a skirt. The draw would be at the waist
http://undertechunderwear.com/

Dene Adams has great corset holsters. From the pictures the carry looks higher than the Can Can, so do some looking online, check youtube videos and such to compare.
http://www.deneadams.com/

feel free to ask questions here, I've done a lot of research. There are so many options these days and, well, to be honest, I'm actually very slowly working on developing 2 more.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
Muttley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Muttley »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Flint brought up a good point. There is real no pressing need for her to carry. We live in a nice neighborhood in a nice town. She works at a school, daily activities are the trips to the grocery store and occasional shopping for the kids. She very rarely goes out after dark by herself. I can count on one hand the times she has done this. Now I know living in a nice town and neighborhood doesn't guarantee safety but I think looking at all the risk factors it may be best if I do the carrying until the kids get older. Thank you so much for everyones input.
"Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens...
I'm gettin' tired of all your gas, now jerk that pistol and go to work!
I said throw down, boy!"

BradyBunchHater

Post by BradyBunchHater »

I still haven't received my CHL, but if I'm at home, I'm carrying. My typical dress is gym shorts and t-shirt. After tons of looking, reading, and watching reviews I settled on the CrossBreed Belly Band. I love it! It's called a "belly" band, but I wear mine around the chest or low on the waist. No need for a belt, you can place the gun anywhere, good retention, and comfortable. It also has built in mag pocket and "utility" pocket. I carry a Taurus PT111 G2 and this option of carry is perfect for me. I can give lots more info on it if you want.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

If you look at the NRA store they also have belly bands. One has a shoulder attachment and the other is just the band but it has an adjustable Velcro restraint strap. I have been using this type of carry for over 15 years. (around low chest and under shoulder) It is not a "quick draw" solution but it does allow me to have my pistol on me and I am in complete control of my pistol at all times.

I agree that with or around children that purse carry may not be feasible and safe. The many options of on body carry are the best way to have complete control of you pistol.

May I also suggest that carrying a stun gun, tazer and/or pepper spray may be effective defense, especially in parking lots (checking your stun gun lets the suspected perp that you may not be a convenient choice.

IANAW (I Am Not A Women) and this is not to be considered fashion advice.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

hovercat

Post by hovercat »

Working at a school, she probably cannot even leave the firearm in the car at work. So the only carry options would start after she returns home after work.

aCoffeejunky

Post by aCoffeejunky »

I have a few different holsters but my favorite, by far, is the Fancy Pants holster. They're made to order with your measurements, gun and hand. http://fpholsters.com/

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

Just a thought maybe a bio safe that is Coded to you and her only. Her routine changing when getting home and securing it before doing anything else.

remanifest

Post by remanifest »

aCoffeejunky wrote:I have a few different holsters but my favorite, by far, is the Fancy Pants holster. They're made to order with your measurements, gun and hand. http://fpholsters.com/
Thank you! I hadn't seen these before, and think they may be perfect for my lady. If you don't mind me asking, which one do you use? I can't find any video reviews of the holsters.
"They will not force us, and they will stop degrading us. They will not control us, and we will be victorious. Rise up and take the power back. We have to unify and watch our flag ascend."
- Muse - Uprising

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

For an LCP, I'm pretty impressed with (Nearly invisible belt "J" clip goes under the belt -TUCKABLE) Galco TUC436

Pictures https://www.google.com/search?q=TUC436& ... oQ_AUICCgD

https://www.google.com/search?q=Galco+T ... 8&oe=utf-8

flechero

Post by flechero »

Vol Texan wrote:On body carry is always preferable to purse carry.
Agreed 100%.

Based on your description, she'll have to commit to this fully if she's caring for a child with those needs/issues. She'll want some formal training. Even if you/she decides to wait for the kids to be older, have her get the CHL and get familiar with shooting... even get training now. No good reason to put it off indefinitely. There may come a time that she needs to alter this plan and she'd be ready to apply it on demand.

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasTornado »

My favorite holster is still my ankle carry, there's less chance of it getting in the way while with the kids, they aren't going to grab at it while hugging or playing etc. it's comfortable and out of the way until you need it, but still on your body. It's also the most friendly holster to a woman's hips and other assets, no digging in or sticking out at odd angles. Toss on a pair of boot cut jeans and you're golden.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Longhorn-breeder

Post by Longhorn-breeder »

SewTexas wrote:a lot of it depends on what she wears, is she a jeans girl? or dress and skirt type?

I do agree that with small children around she needs to keep it on body. Here are a few sites for her to start at, now these are in addition to your basic "holster at the waist" option. I understand the desire for a revolver because of simplicity and because I simply didn't "get" the semi, that's what I did, but I fairly quickly moved to a semi-. I now have a curve, an LCP and an LC9 ;-)

there is the Can Can series, the hip hugger could work great with a skirt or anything with a waist. The draw would be at the waist.
They also have a nice garter, that would work with a dress. The draw would be from below.
http://www.cancanconcealment.com/

The UnderTech Concealment has several different options. I have thought that the shorts would work under a skirt. The draw would be at the waist
http://undertechunderwear.com/

Dene Adams has great corset holsters. From the pictures the carry looks higher than the Can Can, so do some looking online, check youtube videos and such to compare.
http://www.deneadams.com/

feel free to ask questions here, I've done a lot of research. There are so many options these days and, well, to be honest, I'm actually very slowly working on developing 2 more.

I have a can can big shebang love it for scrubs, skirts and leggings. Looking forward to buying the leg holster from the for dresses
Longhorn-breeder
Central TX

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”