Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Xander
Posts in topic: 6

Car console vaults...

Post by Xander »

Anyone ever use one of these? http://www.consolevault.com/auto_vault.html

It looks a great inconspicuous option, particularly since they have a model designed for the console in my truck, but I was wondering if anyone has actual experience with the product or the company. If you have, what did you think?

Thanks,

-Xander

pbandjelly

Post by pbandjelly »

that related to Center of Mass?
I've talked to them before, they're up in MinnySota where my ol' lady moved back to.
they're nice, and say they can get things done just fine, but they don't have a Titan version yet. soon I hope.

Topic author
Xander

Post by Xander »

pbandjelly wrote:that related to Center of Mass?
Yeah, looks like it probably is. Same vaults for sure, (same model numbers) and same prices, so I imagine it's just another website for the same company.

-Xander

Rokyudai
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rokyudai »

Xander,

This fella had a set up at a San Antonio Gunshow a month ago (Live Oak Civic) and I had a chance to play around with these. I thought they were quite sturdy and did not require a key (if a problem arises those may be hard to take from your car keychain anyway). These use a push button combo which is entirely mechanical and not electric (one less fail). I was looking for a quick drop-in model but he did not have the right size that day. He certainly has the ability to make any size though. I especially like the versatility and the options of having a spring loaded door that brings your gun out in the holster!

http://www.advancedpistolsafes.com/Home_Page.php

Giver a look...plus they are made in the US (good), and Texas (better).
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
Xander

Post by Xander »

Interesting. I love the push button combo...That's what I have on my Gun Vault at home, and it's much nicer than fumbling for a key. I'll definitely have to take a closer look at those. Thanks for the link.

-Xander

RubenZ
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RubenZ »

What Bolts that safe to what? If its just something bolted into the center console I would not trust it. Do you know how easy it is to rip out those center consoles. They are basically held down by just Clips these days and plastic.

I'd rather buy a safe that could bolt to the Seat bolts or something underneath the dash that can actually bolt to metal.

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

I'd rather just make the pistol not visible or not leave the pistol in the vehicle. If your vehicle is stolen, what good does that vault do? If your car is broken into, that just tells the thief to dig here. I suppose it would be effective against theft at valet parking but why would you leave a pistol in a car in that case?

Topic author
Xander

Post by Xander »

RubenZ wrote:What Bolts that safe to what? If its just something bolted into the center console I would not trust it. Do you know how easy it is to rip out those center consoles. They are basically held down by just Clips these days and plastic.

It works the same as an alarm in your house, or locking your doors. It doesn't make it impossible to break in...It just raises the difficulty level. Most thieves want to get in and out quickly and quietly. They aren't going to waste time and risk drawing attention to themselves trying to rip a console out.
RubenZ wrote:I'd rather buy a safe that could bolt to the Seat bolts or something underneath the dash that can actually bolt to metal.
I don't really see the point in that. I don't think the return would be worth the extra cost and effort and potentially inconvenience as well. Again, it's not about turning my car into an incorruptible fortress, it's about slowing a thief down, and not leaving a gun where they can just pick it up and walk off.

-Xander

Topic author
Xander

Post by Xander »

propellerhead wrote:I'd rather just make the pistol not visible
I'm not willing to let the only barrier between a thief and the pistol be a sheet of tempers glass, and the 10 seconds it takes them to do a visual search of the vehicle.
propellerhead wrote:or not leave the pistol in the vehicle.
Well, that's a fine sentiment, but not always possible.

propellerhead wrote:If your vehicle is stolen, what good does that vault do?
That's not important to me. If the car gets stolen, everything in it is gone, regardless of how well it is or isn't protected. This would be insurance against a car prowler, not a car thief.
propellerhead wrote:If your car is broken into, that just tells the thief to dig here.

See my post above. If they open the console and see the pistol sitting there, they grab it and walk off. (Your "just make the pistol not visible" option) If they see a vault, it may indeed pique their interest, but they now have to make a decision about whether they want to take the risk of trying to get into it. It's fairly well established that criminals who run into obstacles are far more likely to move on to easier pickings than to take on the additional risk of trying to defeat or bypass those obstacles. I'd much rather have a prowler who opens up my console think that their might be something valuable in there that they could get at if they tear the car up for five minutes, then to see a pistol they could slip into a pocket in two seconds.
propellerhead wrote:I suppose it would be effective against theft at valet parking but why would you leave a pistol in a car in that case?
Again, you wouldn't want to, but there is the possibility that you may not have a choice, for instance, if you find out later rather than sooner that a destination is posted 30.06.

-Xander

Rokyudai
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rokyudai »

Xander,

I think the others offer many realistic 'what if' situations. Certainly doing the research and obviously looking at what will fit YOUR needs is most important. It goes without saying that if a BG wants it bad enough...they will find a way to get it if its behind a screen door or a brink's safe, or somewhere in between.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
Xander

Post by Xander »

Rokyudai wrote:Xander,

I think the others offer many realistic 'what if' situations. Certainly doing the research and obviously looking at what will fit YOUR needs is most important. It goes without saying that if a BG wants it bad enough...they will find a way to get it if its behind a screen door or a brink's safe, or somewhere in between.
Sure, and I'm not asking for advice on the strength of the concept...I've already decided that this is the sort of device that will fit my needs. I'm simply asking if anyone has had experience with this particular (or any similar) product.

-Xander

AWMP

Post by AWMP »

Good concept, but the one I have seen was key operated, did not seem very secure and slowed access.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”