Shirt Front Buttoned or Unbuttoned when Carrying at 3:30 - 4:00?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1

User avatar

Deltaboy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Johnson County TX

Re: Shirt Front Buttoned or Unbuttoned when Carrying at 3:30 - 4:00?

#16

Post by Deltaboy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:40 pm

I leave the last button undone! :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

User avatar

Maxwell
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 863
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Re: Shirt Front Buttoned or Unbuttoned when Carrying at 3:30 - 4:00?

#17

Post by Maxwell » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:23 pm

Deltaboy wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:40 pm
I leave the last button undone! :tiphat:
:iagree:

However it's not a fast draw issue for me. The situation dictates what, and how, I wear my clothes. So far the only times I've had to put my hand on my weapon I had a couple of seconds warning to get under my cover garment. In 15 years I've actually drawn only once, and I did not have to fully present.

Be comfortable. Be discreet. And maintain your situational awareness. The world is not the OK Corral.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

User avatar

KLB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 758
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:57 am
Location: San Antonio

Re: Shirt Front Buttoned or Unbuttoned when Carrying at 3:30 - 4:00?

#18

Post by KLB » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:44 pm

 De gustibus non disputandum est.

User avatar

J.R.@A&M
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 771
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:41 pm

Re: Shirt Front Buttoned or Unbuttoned when Carrying at 3:30 - 4:00?

#19

Post by J.R.@A&M » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:45 pm

Unbuttoned, using the cover of a frumpy, absent-minded professor. Or with the unbuttoned gap covered with a tie.
“[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country.” Life and Times of Frederick Douglass

User avatar

J.R.@A&M
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 771
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:41 pm

Re: Shirt Front Buttoned or Unbuttoned when Carrying at 3:30 - 4:00?

#20

Post by J.R.@A&M » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:48 pm

J.R.@A&M wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:45 pm
Unbuttoned, using the cover of a frumpy, absent-minded professor. Or with the unbuttoned gap covered with a tie.
To be clear, I am reaching in to my weak side, and would be drawing back out through the unbuttoned gap. Revolver is in belly band in a cross draw position (about 9:00).
“[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country.” Life and Times of Frederick Douglass

User avatar

mojo84
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 8947
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: Shirt Front Buttoned or Unbuttoned when Carrying at 3:30 - 4:00?

#21

Post by mojo84 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:22 pm

I do buttoned and unbuttoned. Just depends how I want to wear my shirt that day.


strogg
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 576
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:51 pm
Location: DFW (Denton County)

Re: Shirt Front Buttoned or Unbuttoned when Carrying at 3:30 - 4:00?

#22

Post by strogg » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:08 pm

I do unbuttoned because that's how I've worn those shirts even before I carried. It also gives me an option for OWB. Buttoning it would make the OWB holster print like none other.

User avatar

mojo84
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 8947
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: Shirt Front Buttoned or Unbuttoned when Carrying at 3:30 - 4:00?

#23

Post by mojo84 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:39 pm

I'm looking for shirts to wear untucked that aren't too long. Most of my button up shirts are designed to be ticked and they are very long.

Untuckit shirts are too expensive.

User avatar

J.R.@A&M
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 771
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:41 pm

Re: Shirt Front Buttoned or Unbuttoned when Carrying at 3:30 - 4:00?

#24

Post by J.R.@A&M » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:45 am

J.R.@A&M wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:48 pm
J.R.@A&M wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:45 pm
Unbuttoned, using the cover of a frumpy, absent-minded professor. Or with the unbuttoned gap covered with a tie.
To be clear, I am reaching in to my weak side, and would be drawing back out through the unbuttoned gap. Revolver is in belly band in a cross draw position (about 9:00).
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... UEDgmiVLb5
“[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country.” Life and Times of Frederick Douglass


montgomery
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 8:13 am
Location: Montgomery, Texas

Re: Shirt Front Buttoned or Unbuttoned when Carrying at 3:30 - 4:00?

#25

Post by montgomery » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:23 am

If you cannot defeat the cover garment with the hand that will unholster the handgun, then you are doing it wrong. Your support hand will be occupied.

User avatar

rtschl
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Shirt Front Buttoned or Unbuttoned when Carrying at 3:30 - 4:00?

#26

Post by rtschl » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:29 pm

I button them including bottom one. But whichever you choose, the important thing to remember is to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE and keep PRACTICING. If you do not build the muscle memory in a tense situation, you may very well get it caught in the shirt at the worse possible time.
Ron
NRA Member

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 6419
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Shirt Front Buttoned or Unbuttoned when Carrying at 3:30 - 4:00?

#27

Post by Pawpaw » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:42 pm

J.R.@A&M wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:45 am
J.R.@A&M wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:48 pm
J.R.@A&M wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:45 pm
Unbuttoned, using the cover of a frumpy, absent-minded professor. Or with the unbuttoned gap covered with a tie.
To be clear, I am reaching in to my weak side, and would be drawing back out through the unbuttoned gap. Revolver is in belly band in a cross draw position (about 9:00).
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... UEDgmiVLb5
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member


longtooth
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 12041
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: Angelina County

Re: Shirt Front Buttoned or Unbuttoned when Carrying at 3:30 - 4:00?

#28

Post by longtooth » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:09 pm

Just about 3:30 is where I carry all the time. Open Carry. Shirt is always buttoned and tucked. Momma is 88 but still uses the word "slouchy" on occasion.
Image
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

User avatar

WildBill
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 16816
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Shirt Front Buttoned or Unbuttoned when Carrying at 3:30 - 4:00?

#29

Post by WildBill » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:17 pm

longtooth wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:09 pm
Just about 3:30 is where I carry all the time. Open Carry. Shirt is always buttoned and tucked. Momma is 88 but still uses the word "slouchy" on occasion.
As the years go by, and retiring, I am finding myself becoming more "slouchy". :lol:
That said, I carry OWB at 3:30 and, if not wearing a jacket, I usually wear a buttoned and untucked shirt.
NRA Endowment Member

User avatar

J.R.@A&M
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 771
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:41 pm

Re: Shirt Front Buttoned or Unbuttoned when Carrying at 3:30 - 4:00?

#30

Post by J.R.@A&M » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:12 pm

Pawpaw wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:42 pm
J.R.@A&M wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:45 am
J.R.@A&M wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:48 pm
J.R.@A&M wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:45 pm
Unbuttoned, using the cover of a frumpy, absent-minded professor. Or with the unbuttoned gap covered with a tie.
To be clear, I am reaching in to my weak side, and would be drawing back out through the unbuttoned gap. Revolver is in belly band in a cross draw position (about 9:00).
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... UEDgmiVLb5
Whoops... sorry. Let me figure out how to post that dang picture.
“[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country.” Life and Times of Frederick Douglass

Post Reply

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”