Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
gabeZherrera
Posts in topic: 2

best holster for shorts?

Post by gabeZherrera »

Hey guys,

I was wondering what holster you guys use for shorts? Also any recommendations for holsters to use when the shorts do not have a belt loop? I was looking at alien gear belly holster but no idea if anyone has tried it and liked it. Any recommendations for holsters for CC for shorts without belt loops?

Kadelic

Re: best holster for shorts?

Post by Kadelic »

I have had good results using a bellyband style setup while bicycling and/or hiking. Crossbreed has a system that uses a modular kydex holster with a velcro baking that is molded specific to your pistol(s). I have their modular bellyband holsters for my Shield and 9c. I've also used bellybands with elastic "one size fits all" pockets. I've also used Remora style "sticky" holsters with running shorts, but I only use them with a minimum of activity, like going to check the mail.
Honor Necessity

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tex1961 »

I just switch over to my pocket.380 in a DeSantis holster.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

:iagree:
But I can carry the S&W M&P shield or Sig P365 that way.

Tex1961 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:33 pm I just switch over to my pocket.380 in a DeSantis holster.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
gabeZherrera

Post by gabeZherrera »

Kadelic wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:07 pm I have had good results using a bellyband style setup while bicycling and/or hiking. Crossbreed has a system that uses a modular kydex holster with a velcro baking that is molded specific to your pistol(s). I have their modular bellyband holsters for my Shield and 9c. I've also used bellybands with elastic "one size fits all" pockets. I've also used Remora style "sticky" holsters with running shorts, but I only use them with a minimum of activity, like going to check the mail.
How is the retention on the crossbreed modular bellyband? And does the grip tend to stick out? Or seem like its falling forward? I am looking more into it and seems like the best all around option.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Kadelic wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:07 pm I have had good results using a bellyband style setup while bicycling and/or hiking. Crossbreed has a system that uses a modular kydex holster with a velcro baking that is molded specific to your pistol(s). I have their modular bellyband holsters for my Shield and 9c. I've also used bellybands with elastic "one size fits all" pockets. I've also used Remora style "sticky" holsters with running shorts, but I only use them with a minimum of activity, like going to check the mail.
This is what I'm leaning towards. I bought a (somewhat) cheapy belly band holster off of Amazon that I've been using when I work out in the gym. Although it's pretty secure, it doesn't really allow for easy drawing or reholstering.

Kadelic

Post by Kadelic »

gabeZherrera wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:48 pm How is the retention on the crossbreed modular bellyband? And does the grip tend to stick out? Or seem like its falling forward? I am looking more into it and seems like the best all around option.
The retention is pretty good. While not as solid as a fully formed kydex holster, there is a positive "click" when the trigger guard locks into the shell. Since I typically carry my Shield AIWB, I position the the holster in the same place using the belly band system. You want to snug the band over the holster, and belly, while not making it uncomfortable. My Shield grip doesn't seem to stick out much, maybe a little bit more than with my AIWB belt holster. It does not have any of the falling forward feel. You have to experiment a bit to find the best place to let the band ride. I had previously been using the Pistol Wear belly band. The Crossbreed system takes a little more experimentation but it is more adjustable and has much better retention.
Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:32 pm This is what I'm leaning towards. I bought a (somewhat) cheapy belly band holster off of Amazon that I've been using when I work out in the gym. Although it's pretty secure, it doesn't really allow for easy drawing or reholstering.
Yeah, the Crossbreed system is customizable for an easier draw, and the kydex shell offers an easier re-holster. I also have their kydex mag carriers with the velcro backing. Far superior to the pouch in the typical belly band.
Honor Necessity

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

I don't keep my shorts in a holster, just a chest of drawers. :biggrinjester:

but I second the Desantis Nemesis pocket holster

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

NotRPB wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:53 pm I don't keep my shorts in a holster, just a chest of drawers. :biggrinjester:

but I second the Desantis Nemesis pocket holster
I have a Nemesis for my LCP. I would like to take it with me on bike rides but have been concerned about retention. When I'm riding hard, I have a lot of torso movement. I like the trigger protection of the Nemesis but one of its advantages (for me) is the ease of getting the gun out of the holster while it is in my pocket. I was afraid that would turn into a disadvantage with the belly bands. I wear my shirt outside of my bike shorts and the gun would fall to the ground if it popped out.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

chasfm11 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:49 amI have a Nemesis for my LCP. I would like to take it with me on bike rides but have been concerned about retention. When I'm riding hard, I have a lot of torso movement. I like the trigger protection of the Nemesis but one of its advantages (for me) is the ease of getting the gun out of the holster while it is in my pocket. I was afraid that would turn into a disadvantage with the belly bands. I wear my shirt outside of my bike shorts and the gun would fall to the ground if it popped out.
That's my issue with my pocket holster, I'm scared it will pop out of my pocket while riding (although it's pretty sticky to the inside of the pocket). At least with the belly band I have now, it has a snap that goes over the pistol that retains it.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:50 am
chasfm11 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:49 amI have a Nemesis for my LCP. I would like to take it with me on bike rides but have been concerned about retention. When I'm riding hard, I have a lot of torso movement. I like the trigger protection of the Nemesis but one of its advantages (for me) is the ease of getting the gun out of the holster while it is in my pocket. I was afraid that would turn into a disadvantage with the belly bands. I wear my shirt outside of my bike shorts and the gun would fall to the ground if it popped out.
That's my issue with my pocket holster, I'm scared it will pop out of my pocket while riding (although it's pretty sticky to the inside of the pocket). At least with the belly band I have now, it has a snap that goes over the pistol that retains it.
I have two of these holsters. They provide excellent retention, and they won’t fall out of your pocket: https://www.alabamaholster.com/product/ ... t-holster/. They are available to fit lots of different models of "pocket" pistols.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Nagorg

Post by Nagorg »

I use an Uncle Mikes "Inside-the-Pocket" holster with my M&P Shield 9mm. Been contemplating getting an LCPII for a little less bulk but so far, so good with the Shield.

Those Alabama holsters look nice too. I've seen them praised elsewhere too.

billfromtx

Post by billfromtx »

Ruger LCP in a pocket holster! Strong side front pocket. My favorite way to carry almost all the time, but especially in shorts which I am 95% of the time. :txflag:
To err is human.
To forgive is divine.
Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”