Garrett Industries Silent Thunder OWB?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Joel
Posts in topic: 3

Garrett Industries Silent Thunder OWB?

Post by Joel »

Being a leather holster guy, I don’t have much experience with kydex. Has anyone used the Silent Thunder and if so what was your impression with regard to quality, how well it conceals, comfort and any other observations. Thanks and God bless.

jb2012
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Garrett Industries Silent Thunder OWB?

Post by jb2012 »

I have had a much better experience with pancake type kydex. With a belt clip like that your gun is going to sit that much farther off of your waist than if it had pancake style loops. Also being that there is only one belt retention point they tend to curl your belt making concealabiloty drastically less, whereas with a pancake style, the holster distributes the weight of tbe gun across a larger portion of your belt. Also personally I’m not a huge fan of “taco formed” kydex.
Some Manufacturers that I use and trust are:
Bravo Concealment
On Your Six Designs
ANR Designs
TXC Holsters

carlson1
Posts in topic: 6

Post by carlson1 »

I have never used their OWB, but I have bought the silent thunder IWB for three pistols that I carry AIWB when my back is out. I love them very much. They hold up great and are comfortable.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have a couple of Kydex OWB holsters. One is a pancake style that fits my G17 and was made by my son. The other is a Safariland 6378 ALS paddle holster. The one my son made works and fits just fine. About the Safariland....

When used with the paddle, the 6378 ALS works great. It fits close enough to the body (barely), and the retention mechanism, which is adjustable, works well and seamlessly. Using it feels quite natural and (to me, anyway) doesn’t play hobb with my drawstroke. My main complaint is about the paddle, rather than the holster body. It’s comfortable for day-long carry, but it does NOT fulfill the primary virtue of a paddle—and that is easy on/off placement/removal. There’s a doohickey on the inner side of the holster body that acts as a sort of "hook" to stabilize the holster relative to your belt and pants, and keeps the holster from being taken off of you by a bad guy. The hook is removable with an Allen wrench. However, if you remove it, it is my experience that the paddle will rock a little bit fore and aft on your belt if tugged on, and it can be pulled off more easily. Still not easy, but easier. OTH, if I leave the hook on, I have to actually remove my pants and work at it to get the holster off.....it’s that secure.

I tried using Safariland's Model 745BL Clip-On Holster Belt Loop to convert the holster to a belt holster. All of the fore/aft stability went away, and the holster sags away from the body (using a gun belt). I converted the holster back to a paddle, and I find that it is perfect for all day field use open carry. It’s tough and resilient, and it’s the one I’d pick to wear open carry while hunting. The cant is adjustable, but not radical. It is NOT quite as concealable as the Shadow® II Pancake-Style Holster I also own, and use much more frequently.

Draw stroke with 6378 ALS:

The Shadow II pancake style holster:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

Garrett Holsters are excellent quality and functionally solid. They have a huge following in competition, CC and general range use. On the off chance you didn't like it, you can easily sell it, so long as it's for a common gun.

Topic author
Joel

Post by Joel »

I should have been more specific regarding the Silent Thunder. The Silent Thunder STX 2.0 is the holster I’m considering. While not a pure pancake design, it it not a paddle. It appears to be more closely akin to the Tucker HF series of holsters. Any thoughts regarding the STX 2.0? Thanks and God bless.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

Joel wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:24 pm I should have been more specific regarding the Silent Thunder. The Silent Thunder STX 2.0 is the holster I’m considering.
I don't own the STX 2.0 (yet- but I'm also looking at it) lots of people on the 1911 forum have given it very high praise.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I ordered one so I will let you know after it arrives and use for awhile.

:anamatedbanana

Topic author
Joel

Post by Joel »

Thanks Carlson. I look forward to your impression of the holster. That said, my impatience may not let me wait. I might have make a purchase and if I don’t like it I’ll learn the hard way...as I’ve done before :lol:

Thanks and God bless

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I like their other holsters and don’t know why I wouldn’t like this one. I CC 99% of the time and I am always looking for something to hold the pistol closer to my body. This looks like it might be the answer since I am partial to the leather on the inside.

Caliber

Post by Caliber »

How about an update on the Silent Thunder OWB! (Assuming you received it and used it.)

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

It has not arrived yet. It takes him a few weeks to get them made and then mailed.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

My holster just arrived. Looking forward to trying it out later today. I will let you know what I think.
4B6DB230-18CC-448D-B126-60666B2EBE78.jpeg
F6FF62D7-295B-4221-8C90-82CC92E850C3.jpeg
1708C690-3EBC-43E7-87D8-9F8EC317C1C8.jpeg

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I bought another one for my Sig P365XL. The holster really carry’s nice. It holds the pistol close to my side and the pistol conceals very easy. Probably ones of the easiest conceal of OWB I have had.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”