The Black Arch Dual Clip IWB Protos-M is OK

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Acronym Esq
Posts in topic: 1

The Black Arch Dual Clip IWB Protos-M is OK

Post by Acronym Esq »

IWB hybrid holsters at 3:30 are most comfortable for me. I really like the Comp-Tac MTAC, but I wish it had complete, rigid trigger coverage.

The Black Arch Dual Clip IWB Protos-M is an IWB hybrid holster with complete kydex trigger coverage. Since it's more expensive than the MTAC, I emailed them and asked them for a coupon code which they provided. I ordered my FDE, Brown/OD backer with griphook clips for $95 on 11/4/20. It shipped on 11/11/20 from Utah, and I received it in Houston on 11/14/20.

I've worn it all day 10 times. It wears comfortably, retains the gun, and covers the trigger but not the mag release. I really like how the trigger is completely covered by kydex. The holster looks great.

Black Arch told me that it naturally hangs at 15 degrees, but I think it hangs at 7. I moved the rear clip down a hole to get the 15 degree cant I like. The hole locations, hang cant, and clip length all work together to determine the ride height. I prefer the trigger guard completely covered by my belt, so the ride height is correct for me. Some would call this "low".

The backing is comfortable, and has begun taking and keeping the shape of my hips. The inside suede and cloth weave is a little grippy on my undershirt, which helps resist the holster walking around my waist by itself.

The upgrade griphook clips have a little tooth on the bottom that hooks under the belt snugly. They are so tight that I am sure they will damage my comp-tac gun belt. They are perfectly fit on a single thickness, 1.5", leather strap type belt.

The Black Arch Dual Clip IWB Protos-M is not fantastic because it doesn't hold the butt of the gun as close to my body as the MTAC. I think there are two mechanics here:
  1. The extra kydex between the trigger guard and the holster backing cause the gun to rotate out slightly. I contrast this with the opposite way a claw would cause the gun to rotate in slightly.
  2. There is no extra backing to help keep the gun tight. I contrast this with the MTAC which has an extra tongue of leather extending below the muzzle which pushes against my hip rotating the butt of the gun against the belt as a fulcrum and keeping the butt tight against me.

The Black Arch Dual Clip IWB Protos-M is adequate. I really like the look and trigger coverage. It could keep the butt of my gun closer to my body, but it's not bad enough to replace. I'll have to replace the griphooks (to the default clips) if I decide to go back to my real gun belt. I recommend it for something small like my P365 XL, but not for something bigger like a G19 or M&P9 2.0 Compact (MTAC for maximum concealment).

acronym 11/28/2020 9:14 PM
Attachments
IMG_5569.2.jpg
20201128_194318.2.jpg
IMG_5571.2.jpg

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”