Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 23

05-October: MEDICAL Training/TFR Trauma First Response

Post by RoyGBiv »

Class Registration is Now OPEN.
Please jump to this post (page 2 here) for registration details. LINK

PHTLS- TFR Trauma First Response, 1-Day Class

Given the dangers inherent in the shooting sports and CHL, I've been looking for a good trauma course that covers the basics of what to do if I'm ever faced with the role of citizen-first-responder in a medical trauma situation. After some back/forth with a local instructor, I feel I have enough information to share with you all, to gauge interest in doing a class specifically for folks in the the firearms community. If we have enough interest in a focused class, we MAY (TBD) be able to adjust the syllabus a bit to focus on items of particular interest to shooters.

I don't have a date set yet, but my schedule is pretty full until September and the trainer asked for at least 30 days time for her planning, so, we're looking at September at the earliest, possibly October. I would prefer to get this completed before November brings the holidays and other distractions.

Here are the details:

Course: PHTLS-Trauma First Response
Organization: MedStar EMS (LINK)
Duration: 1-Day Class
Class Date: TBD (considering a Saturday to avoid work conflicts)
Cost: $50 (Yes, only $50)
Class size: Min 8, Max 20 (can schedule more than one class if demand is sufficient)
Course Outline
  • Welcome & Introduction
    Intro to TFR
    Principles of Assessment and Management
    BREAK
    A&B- Airway, O2, Ventilation
    C-Circulation
    D- Traumatic Brain Injury Spinal Trauma

INTERACTIVE SKILL STATIONS
    ( 4 rotating 30 minute stations)
    Patient assessment 1
    Airway and Breathing
    Circulation and Bleeding control
    Disability/ Spinal immobilization

LUNCH

INTERACTIVE SKILL & SCENARIOS
    Patient Assessment 2
    Rapid Extrication
    Scenario Station 1
    Scenario Station 2

BREAK

Golden Principles of Prehospital Trauma care
    Overview and prep for Written Evaluation
    Course evaluations
    CONCLUSION/ Final Comments
Initial FAQ:
What course materials are included?
The NAEMT text is available for an additional $35 fee. The trainer has offered to print the slides for us as a handout (I assume at no added cost, but have not confirmed yet)

Can we get a CPR & AED refresher for those who have not had recent training?
A 20-minute refresher can be added to the class at no additional cost.

Do they have an EDC trauma kit or components available for purchase?
No, but we can provide/discuss an inventory list as part of the training.

Can we customize the class a bit, to focus on particular areas of interest?
There is some leeway to do so. Going too far afield of the regular syllabus might jeopardize the course completion card if we leave out topics that are on the test. This may or may not be an issue for attendees. Let's discuss this when we're a bit further along.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, my questions for you all are very simple at this juncture:
1. If you are interested (it is understood that this is NOT a firm commitment) in attending this class in the September/October time frame, please reply to this thread and indicate so. (A YES response to this question should NOT be contingent on any changes to the syllabus...)
and
2. After reading the course outline, what areas (if any) might you like to see added or expanded upon?

If anyone has taken (or taught) this exact class "PHTLS-TFR", your comments would be most welcome.

Disclosures: None, really. I'm not affiliated with MedStar in any way and don't receive any benefit from organizing the class.

Thanks.!
:tiphat:
Last edited by RoyGBiv on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Gauging Interest: PHTLS- TFR Trauma First Response Class

Post by sjfcontrol »

I would be interested -- maybe move or have a second class in the McKinney (or surrounding) area?

My stupid question for the day -- what does PHTLS stand for?

Nevermind -- found it from your link -- Prehospital Trauma Life Support

Might want to put a link to this thread in the instructors corner.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

sjfcontrol wrote:I would be interested -- maybe move or have a second class in the McKinney (or surrounding) area?

Since I'm not the instructor (the reason I didn't post this in the instructors forum), and the instructor I found (and it wasn't easy) has their own facility located in FTW, I'm not planning to try and have the class elsewhere. That said, I'd be happy to give you her contact info if you're wanting to arrange a class closer to you. She did indicate a willingness to have the class in an offsite facility, but I wasn't keen to take on the logistics headaches that come with arranging that.

The idea for taking this class came from two directions.... 1). A discussion of "What would you have been prepared to do in the aftermath of the Boston bombings?" and 2). What would you do if you witnessed an AD/shooting injury at the range?". I realized I was wholly unprepared to be helpful following such events with only Basic First Aid/CPR skills, no tools on hand (basic trauma kit) and no recent training. I see this TFR course as an inexpensive first step in remedying that skill gap.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

RoyGBiv wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:I would be interested -- maybe move or have a second class in the McKinney (or surrounding) area?

Since I'm not the instructor (the reason I didn't post this in the instructors forum), and the instructor I found (and it wasn't easy) has their own facility located in FTW, I'm not planning to try and have the class elsewhere. That said, I'd be happy to give you her contact info if you're wanting to arrange a class closer to you. She did indicate a willingness to have the class in an offsite facility, but I wasn't keen to take on the logistics headaches that come with arranging that.

[ Image ]

The idea for taking this class came from two directions.... 1). A discussion of "What would you have been prepared to do in the aftermath of the Boston bombings?" and 2). What would you do if you witnessed an AD/shooting injury at the range?". I realized I was wholly unprepared to be helpful following such events with only Basic First Aid/CPR skills, no tools on hand (basic trauma kit) and no recent training. I see this TFR course as an inexpensive first step in remedying that skill gap.
Tell you what. I'll take the course over there (FW -- assuming you get enough interest), and depending on the success of that, talk to her about a class on this side of town.
I know you're not the instructor for the class, but a link in the instructor's forum would notify other CHL instructors of the existence of the class and hopefully generate more interest in it. Your call.
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

sjfcontrol wrote:I know you're not the instructor for the class, but a link in the instructor's forum would notify other CHL instructors of the existence of the class and hopefully generate more interest in it. Your call.
I didn't think it was appropriate (protocol) to post over there unless it was a CHL class..
Didn't want to break any rules... I'll double check...

Thanks. :thumbs2:

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

RoyGBiv wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:I know you're not the instructor for the class, but a link in the instructor's forum would notify other CHL instructors of the existence of the class and hopefully generate more interest in it. Your call.
I didn't think it was appropriate (protocol) to post over there unless it was a CHL class..
Didn't want to break any rules... I'll double check...

Thanks. :thumbs2:
Just post in the "Instructor's Corner" forum, not the forum for CHL class adverts. Instructor's corner is for general discussions of interests to instructors. As one, I would find the notice on-topic.
Never Forget. Image

croc870
Posts in topic: 1

Post by croc870 »

I have taught and taken PHTLS many times, and I would strongly suggest that this class is not what you are looking for. MEDSTAR has an awesome program, but this course is geared toward the medical professional rather than the lay person. If you're looking for that type of course, PM me and I can get you some other information.

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

croc870 wrote:I have taught and taken PHTLS many times, and I would strongly suggest that this class is not what you are looking for. MEDSTAR has an awesome program, but this course is geared toward the medical professional rather than the lay person. If you're looking for that type of course, PM me and I can get you some other information.
PHTLS-TFR is not the full PHTLS course... Let me know if your comments are applicable to this class specifically... From the information I've gathered previously, and after speaking with the instructor about my background (no medical training beyond basic FA and CPR) and expectations, TFR seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

http://www.naemt.org/education/PHTLS/Tr ... ponse.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Trauma First Response course is a one-day continuing education course that teaches the principles of Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) to non-EMS practitioners, including first responders, police officers, firefighters, rescue personnel and safety officers. It helps them prepare to care for trauma patients while serving as part of a transport team or awaiting a transport provider.

The course serves up core PHTLS content to those who haven’t had EMT or advanced prehospital training. The lectures and practical stations are designed for the type of care first responders can render while awaiting patient transport or when assisting paramedics and EMTs at a trauma scene.

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Re: Gauging Interest: MEDICAL Training/TFR Trauma First Resp

Post by RoyGBiv »

I'm bumping this thread with a new Subject/Title, hopefully to garner some additional interest.

As it stands today, I have enough interest to make the class, but just barely so... I'm a bit surprised, having thought that would be considered valuable training for less than the cost of one range session.

Please post here if you are interested in the class and I'll start working on getting it scheduled next week.
Still looking at a Saturday in September or October as of now.

Thanks.!! :tiphat:

tiviti
Posts in topic: 5

Post by tiviti »

I am interested as long as the final scheduled date doesn't conflict with anything I already have planned.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Well, I'm totally confused as to whether its a civilian course for emergency trauma treatment, or for medical professionals. I'm not a med professional, but I'd like to be able to do more than run in circles if somebody got injured on my range. So what's the scoop?
Never Forget. Image

Kadelic
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Kadelic »

I'm definitely interested.
Honor Necessity

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

sjfcontrol wrote:Well, I'm totally confused as to whether its a civilian course for emergency trauma treatment, or for medical professionals. I'm not a med professional, but I'd like to be able to do more than run in circles if somebody got injured on my range. So what's the scoop?
I expect this to be a civilian class for non-professionals.... That is the discussion I've had the the trainer...

I expect there may have been some confusion regarding the full PHTLS (Pre Hospital Trauma Life Support) course which is for folks with previous training and PHTLS-TFR... The TFR class is specifically for first-on-the-scene people who do not have a medical background..

From my previous post above ...
The Trauma First Response course is a one-day continuing education course that teaches the principles of Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) to non-EMS practitioners, including first responders, police officers, firefighters, rescue personnel and safety officers. It helps them prepare to care for trauma patients while serving as part of a transport team or awaiting a transport provider.

The course serves up core PHTLS content to those who haven’t had EMT or advanced prehospital training. The lectures and practical stations are designed for the type of care first responders can render while awaiting patient transport or when assisting paramedics and EMTs at a trauma scene.

donniet
Posts in topic: 3

Post by donniet »

I am interested if the date and time does not conflict with my schedule. When do you think you will have the date and time established?
NRA ENDOWMENT
Plastic..many years ago

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

donniet wrote:I am interested if the date and time does not conflict with my schedule. When do you think you will have the date and time established?
Hoping to have a date set later this week.

Return to “Past Classes”