05-October: MEDICAL Training/TFR Trauma First Response

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Kadelic
Posts in topic: 8

Re: 05-October: MEDICAL Training/TFR Trauma First Response

Post by Kadelic »

I registered easily enough. When I called and tried to pay Lesley didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Plenty of time to work it out I reckon. :cool:
Honor Necessity

74novaman
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 74novaman »

Registered this morning. Thanks for putting this together. :cool:
TANSTAAFL

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 23

Post by RoyGBiv »

Kadelic wrote:I registered easily enough. When I called and tried to pay Lesley didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Plenty of time to work it out I reckon. :cool:
I'll check into it on Monday... I've registered myself, but not yet paid.
Will post an update once I've cleared things up. Sorry for the trouble.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Kadelic wrote:I registered easily enough. When I called and tried to pay Lesley didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Plenty of time to work it out I reckon. :cool:
This has been addressed... A small lag in communication combined with your being the first to try and pay... :???:
Sorry for any inconvenience.

Also...........................

Just a small clarification...
When you call to pay, just hit "0" and ask for Lesley Palmer...
Saves you from having to listen to their VRU

Details: http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 15#p844411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2. Call them to pay
Company is MedStar EMS.
Phone: +1-817-923-3700
Payment can be made by credit card, or you can mail a check.
Payments need to be received by 30-September.
As of now, 9 registered, 3 paid...

Cheers.

Kadelic

Post by Kadelic »

RoyGBiv wrote:
This has been addressed... A small lag in communication combined with your being the first to try and pay... :???:
Sorry for any inconvenience
No inconvenience at all. Thanks for coordinating this in the first place.
Honor Necessity

tiviti
Posts in topic: 5

Post by tiviti »

Registered and Paid

Kadelic

Post by Kadelic »

I'm paid now too. I asked how many people had registered so far and she said 15, so that's getting close to the max.
Honor Necessity

Sasnakra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Sasnakra »

I am interested in a future course (will be traveling during this October class) like this. I had taken a NOLS - Wilderness Medical Class (16-hours) a number of years ago, and it wasn't just the specifics covered during that class, which were excellent - it was the confidence gained that was very important. It turned out that I had several oportunities within the first six months after that class (one was on an American Airlines flight) to use some of the training. We don't need these skills until something happens - and then it's suddenly too late if you haven't made the decision to train and be prepared! Best of luck for a great class.

:txflag:
02/20/10 - TX CHL Received
NRA & TSRA

Kadelic

Post by Kadelic »

RoyGBiv wrote: Initial FAQ:
What course materials are included?
The NAEMT text is available for an additional $35 fee. The trainer has offered to print the slides for us as a handout (I assume at no added cost, but have not confirmed yet)

I am interested in obtaining a copy of the NAEMT text prior to the class. Is it the book pictured toward the beginning of this thread? http://www.emergencystuff.com/product-p ... 077972.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any other reading or video resources appropriate for preparation for the class are appreciated.

Can we get a CPR & AED refresher for those who have not had recent training?
A 20-minute refresher can be added to the class at no additional cost.

That's awesome

Do they have an EDC trauma kit or components available for purchase?
No, but we can provide/discuss an inventory list as part of the training.

I've been researching FAK's in general, especially EDC trauma kits. They say not to carry anything you're not trained to use, which is good advice. I'm sure the class will encompass everything needed for trauma events, just curious if bringing my own kit for specific questions would be welcomed or not appropriate for the setting.

Can we customize the class a bit, to focus on particular areas of interest?
There is some leeway to do so. Going too far afield of the regular syllabus might jeopardize the course completion card if we leave out topics that are on the test. This may or may not be an issue for attendees. Let's discuss this when we're a bit further along.

You covered my main reasons for taking such a class in a previous post: "1). A discussion of "What would you have been prepared to do in the aftermath of the Boston bombings?" and 2). What would you do if you witnessed an AD/shooting injury at the range?" An additional areas of interest might cover dealing with an injury to oneself as a victim of a shooting or stabbing, auto accident, etc. In other words, how to increase my chances of survival if I suffer traumatic injuries and I'm alone. I think all other contingencies are covered in your two questions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, my questions for you all are very simple at this juncture:
1. If you are interested (it is understood that this is NOT a firm commitment) in attending this class in the September/October time frame, please reply to this thread and indicate so. (A YES response to this question should NOT be contingent on any changes to the syllabus...)
and
2. After reading the course outline, what areas (if any) might you like to see added or expanded upon?

As mentioned, a discussion and recommendation as to what specific gear a person might EDC and keep in their vehicle to enable a more effective response to a trauma situation.
Thanks again.
Honor Necessity

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Just a quick update.
As of this AM we have 9 registered and 5 paid.

I'd like to get to 8 paid ASAP, so the class is locked in (minimum number of students is met)
If you're sure you'll be attending, your registering and confirming with payment would be appreciated.

Thanks.!

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Kadelic wrote:just curious if bringing my own kit for specific questions would be welcomed or not appropriate for the setting.
I don't see the harm, as long as you're cognizant about not taking up too much class time on specific-to-you type questions. I'm sure there will be some time for Q&A (certainly during lab time) and a few questions about different types of kit component options would (IMO) be good fodder for discussion.

Just to be clear.. I am not the instructor... just the organizer and a fellow student.

I'll keep a running list of questions and submit them the week before..

Thanks.!

Kadelic

Post by Kadelic »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Kadelic wrote:just curious if bringing my own kit for specific questions would be welcomed or not appropriate for the setting.
I don't see the harm, as long as you're cognizant about not taking up too much class time on specific-to-you type questions. I'm sure there will be some time for Q&A (certainly during lab time) and a few questions about different types of kit component options would (IMO) be good fodder for discussion.

Just to be clear.. I am not the instructor... just the organizer and a fellow student.

I'll keep a running list of questions and submit them the week before..

Thanks.!
That's totally understood. Thanks for the feedback.
Honor Necessity

ABBY
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ABBY »

I registered easily enough. When I called and tried to pay Lesley didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Plenty of time to work it out I reckon. [/url]

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

RoyGBiv wrote:Just a quick update.
As of this AM we have 9 registered and 5 paid.

I'd like to get to 8 paid ASAP, so the class is locked in (minimum number of students is met)
If you're sure you'll be attending, your registering and confirming with payment would be appreciated.

Thanks.!
Good Thursday Folks....

As of last night I'm told we still have 9 registered and 5 paid.

I sure would like to get to 8 paid ASAP, so the class minimum is met, and allowing folks to confirm their plans for class day.

If you're planning to go, please go ahead and get your payment taken care of so we can be assured the class will get the green light.

Thanks.!

PS: When I paid a few weeks back, everything went smoothly with Leslie... no problems.

Return to “Past Classes”