OCT Pro-Gun or Pro-Gun Control?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: OCT Pro-Gun or Pro-Gun Control?

Post by ScooterSissy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Charles, I don't mean to make this sound obsequious or fawning, but I literally thank God that we in Texas still have statesmen like you working behind the scenes for our interests. That was quite a read you just posted.
I'll pile on with that one. I have to admit, I've never joined the NRA. What I've learned about gun rights on this forum, and the knowledge of who is behind it, is beginning to make me rethink that.

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasCajun »

TXBO wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
TXBO wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote: ... We've passed many great bills and have made great strides in expanding Second Amendment rights, but I believe that HB308 should have been the cornerstone of the 2015 Texas Legislative Session -- but it wasn't. I'm mad and I'm sick that HB308 went nowhere; it is no better off than HB195 or SB342 and I'm not happy. However, I understand why neither the NRA nor TSRA put their political muscle behind HB308. To say it was a controversial bill would be an understatement. The media would have had a field day with "guns everywhere, guns everywhere!" It's right up there with "the British are coming, the British are coming!" The primary reason HB308 was not a priority bill is NRA and TSRA were using huge amounts of political capitol to pass open-carry and to a lesser degree, campus-carry. I still believe we should pass campus-carry because it is the right thing to do even though it differs from our standard procedure of supporting bills that provide the most benefits to most people. At this point in time, HB308 would have worked to the extreme benefit of 846,000+ Texas CHLs and this number will continue to grow. That's how strongly I feel about removing off-limits areas for CHLs, but you haven't heard me lash out at NRA/TSRA for not making MY priority their priority. That's not how you bill strong and effective relationships; you don't abandon friends who share your goals but not your priority list. Contrast this approach with the OCT approach of attacking, condemning and lying about anyone and everyone who does not share both their goals and there tactics.

Chas.
I believe your philosophy of "supporting bills that provide the most benefit to most people" is an admirable approach. I would personally benefit from being able to carry more places but I would argue that only having 846k+ people in Texas that can legally carry is disappointing. I'd like it to be a priority to see that number multiply.

I suspect that is the ultimate goal for many. However, we have to work with the process available and that involves making incremental improvements as we can. Trying for the whole enchilada this go around would have killed the deal all together.

I certainly understand the political hazards. Increasing accessibility does not need to be the "whole enchilada" any more than decreasing restrictions on current CHL. I have not seen one bill this session that I believe has a viable chance of increasing accessibility in the slightest.
We didn't end up where we are overnight. So we have to remember that removing restrictions and increasing availability won't be accomplished overnight either. In 2013, the number of class hours for a CHL was reduced by half. Just that measure by itself increased accessibility AND decreased restrictions. Granted, it wasn't anything earth-shattering or monumental. But it was a step in the right direction.

This year, we're going to dip our toe into the open carry pool (decreased restriction) for a portion of the population that we expect to be able to carry the banner and provide proof that the dire predictions won't come true. We'll need that data and those facts when it's time to tackle the next obstacle in the same way that we've been able to use the 20yr record of CHLs.

Continued success in the politics of gun rights is going to depend on our ability to see things as they are and address the current reality using long-term goals and perspectives.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 14

Post by TXBO »

ScooterSissy wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Charles, I don't mean to make this sound obsequious or fawning, but I literally thank God that we in Texas still have statesmen like you working behind the scenes for our interests. That was quite a read you just posted.
I'll pile on with that one. I have to admit, I've never joined the NRA. What I've learned about gun rights on this forum, and the knowledge of who is behind it, is beginning to make me rethink that.
There has never been a more successful grassroots civil rights organization in the USA than the NRA. If you're serious about defending your gun rights, there's no better place for your money than an NRA membership.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Texas is a pretty conservative state which among other things also means changes don't always happen fast or quick. I think patience is called for. Pass the bill we can this year. Push for changes down the road.

amtank
Posts in topic: 3

Post by amtank »

I am not steamed at you. I figured out midway through last year that Terry Holcomb's approach would be the winner for better or worse.

Speaking of forceful debates we spoke at length on what to attempt. My only fear remains that real rights expansion might stall going forward sans real change in Austin.

I only really get irritated when we go about converting rights to privileges.

Have you seen the proposal I think from NC of an advanced level carry license that has absolutely no restrictions? It involves more training and qualifications.

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by treadlightly »

I think the best argument for licensed open carry - for now - over full civil rights is because we have a history of repressive gun laws that have taken guns out of a normal role in society. They are something of raised eyebrows and questions in our state. Probably less so in Arizona, where the citizens have been much less repressed.

We need licensed open carry not to lead our leaders to enlightenment, but to lead our citizens. As we re-infuse defensive handguns back into Texas life, as licensed concealed carry has done for decades, we strengthen ourselves in many ways. A gun in the hand of a law abiding citizen has positive psychological implications. A gun in my law-abiding hand is a matter of pride, of self-worth, and a symbol that says I have a life worth protecting, and loved ones and fellow citizens who depend on me to ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth.

If we instill every citizen with the individual drive to stand up and be counted on the basis of self-worth and individual value to society, we just might end the defensive need for handguns. We will always need them as an affirmation of things we dare not lose.

In the meantime, we need to engage just plain folks to repair our seriously degraded society. The only legitimate first step is to trust them. If we bring our state back to the only kind of polite society that's moral and right - an armed, polite society - then we can cure many problems within the framework of government without the terrible costs of anarchy and insurrection.

Of course, insurrection is a matter of perspective, and I'm rather fond of the gumption shown in the late 1700's when citizens took up arms against their lawfully instituted leaders and drove them back to Old Blighty.

But our times are not driven by engaged, voting citizens. This step at this time, licensed open carry in a strict shall-issue context, is the right thing to do. Clean living citizens can jump through a hoop or two and carry firearms in most places as their consciences guide them.

The next step is outreach, and firearms should be the medium, not the message. Fill your holster, sir or madam, and be a Citizen and all it implies. Stand with your neighbor and deny the dark environment crime and tyranny crave. There is no central repository of decency, and right over wrong doesn't flow from on high - it comes from YOU.

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

This!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

treadlightly wrote: . . . We need licensed open carry not to lead our leaders to enlightenment, but to lead our citizens. As we re-infuse defensive handguns back into Texas life, as licensed concealed carry has done for decades, we strengthen ourselves in many ways. A gun in the hand of a law abiding citizen has positive psychological implications. A gun in my law-abiding hand is a matter of pride, of self-worth, and a symbol that says I have a life worth protecting, and loved ones and fellow citizens who depend on me to ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth.

If we instill every citizen with the individual drive to stand up and be counted on the basis of self-worth and individual value to society, we just might end the defensive need for handguns. We will always need them as an affirmation of things we dare not lose. . . .
I fully agree. In fact, when the legislature has adjourned sine die, I plan to launch an initiative to address precisely this issue. I won't go into details now, but I hope to see a lot of folks get involved.

Chas.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Sign me up, Charles. I'll watch for what a motivated citizen can do.

For freedom!

Topic author
G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 8

Post by G.A. Heath »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
treadlightly wrote: . . . We need licensed open carry not to lead our leaders to enlightenment, but to lead our citizens. As we re-infuse defensive handguns back into Texas life, as licensed concealed carry has done for decades, we strengthen ourselves in many ways. A gun in the hand of a law abiding citizen has positive psychological implications. A gun in my law-abiding hand is a matter of pride, of self-worth, and a symbol that says I have a life worth protecting, and loved ones and fellow citizens who depend on me to ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth.

If we instill every citizen with the individual drive to stand up and be counted on the basis of self-worth and individual value to society, we just might end the defensive need for handguns. We will always need them as an affirmation of things we dare not lose. . . .
I fully agree. In fact, when the legislature has adjourned sine die, I plan to launch an initiative to address precisely this issue. I won't go into details now, but I hope to see a lot of folks get involved.

Chas.
I will do what I can to help.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

SA-TX

Post by SA-TX »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
:txflag:

Looking forward to it.

Paragrouper

Post by Paragrouper »

amtank wrote:Disclaimer: I am a former active member of OCTC. I was at the time of the 2014 state convention. I am a current regional co-coordinator for OCT. I hold a Texas CHL. I am a member of the TSRA If you missed that above. I am even a member of the Texas State Militia. I am a Constitutional Conservative who is involved in multiple causes beyond guns. I also have four legislators personal cell numbers in my phone and another three chiefs of staff. I have been known from time to time go for a walk with a rifle or shotgun.
For all your credentials, one thing you do not possess is my support.

Perhaps you should try working with other organizations to achieve our common goals. The antics your organization pulls does not help further the cause of 2A; they just create more enemies. There's enough divisiveness in our country as it is.

Why don't you guys try cooperating instead?
DCC
"Beware the fury of of the patient man." ~John Dryden

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

Paragrouper wrote:
amtank wrote:Disclaimer: I am a former active member of OCTC. I was at the time of the 2014 state convention. I am a current regional co-coordinator for OCT. I hold a Texas CHL. I am a member of the TSRA If you missed that above. I am even a member of the Texas State Militia. I am a Constitutional Conservative who is involved in multiple causes beyond guns. I also have four legislators personal cell numbers in my phone and another three chiefs of staff. I have been known from time to time go for a walk with a rifle or shotgun.

Perhaps you should try working with other organizations to achieve our common goals. The antics your organization pulls does not help further the cause of 2A; they just create more enemies. There's enough divisiveness in our country as it is.

I fully agree..............
Salty1

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 14

Post by TXBO »

Paragrouper wrote:

Cooperate with whom?

mojo84
Posts in topic: 9

Post by mojo84 »

TXBO wrote:
Paragrouper wrote:

Cooperate with whom?
People that understand how to get things done and have a track record of doing so.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”