Campus carry would cost Texas colleges millions

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

K5GU
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Campus carry would cost Texas colleges millions

Post by K5GU »

rotor wrote:Never having lived in a college dorm (always too poor) I wonder how these students now manage to secure their other personal items like their cash, car keys, etc.
Re: protection of valuables in the dorms. I stayed in a dorm for 2 years (long time ago) and our 'security' was built in to our room-and-board cost. Our security consisted of locked entrances after 10 pm, dorm proctors and our 'mom and pop''s quarters were adjacent to the main entrance. The proctors knew everyone, and they did not allow non-residents in the building unless they knew who they were. Common sense prevailed almost everywhere, and we always kept the room doors locked. This was before cell phones, and only a handful of our dorm residents had cars. Also the Dean of Men had rules such as - no visitors after 9 pm and no loud noises. He actually made surprise visits to the floors and rooms about twice a week.

..I must also add, it didn't cost anyone anything, to lean our baseball bat against a wall near the room door...
Life is good.

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 1

Post by J.R.@A&M »

rotor wrote:Never having lived in a college dorm (always too poor) I wonder how these students now manage to secure their other personal items like their cash, car keys, etc.
When I went to A&M, you could store your firearm at the campus police station, which was open 24/7 for check-in/out. I kept my deer rifle at school that way. Others kept their handguns there (this was fifteen years before concealed carry was legal in Texas). Dorm residents either did that, or stored their weapons in their vehicle. Those were the two legal options at the time.

Edited: whoops, you weren't even asking about gun storage. Oh well.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

More from SCC: http://concealedcampus.org/2015/03/if-c ... t-at-zero/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Its a problem. We gave ours a small easy open vault.

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KD5NRH »

PaJ wrote:He says the guards are unarmed, and "half" of the police officers are. I don't know where he got his information, but it struck me as odd that only half would be armed. Just relaying the info. :tiphat:
Maybe they each carry half a gun, so if they want to use it, two of them have to agree and assemble it before they can.

Sounds about right for a campus police chief's policy.

PaJ
Posts in topic: 15

Post by PaJ »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
Its a problem. We gave ours a small easy open vault.
One of the recommendations on my son's list was a safe. I was picturing something larger like a fireproof one for documents you get at Target. A small gun vault or something similar would be good for smaller items like cash. But then again, my son is broke so he has no cash.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Either way, I think the issues with gun storage in dorms can be addressed locally at each college or university. No need to mess up the state law with restrictions or rules.

For the rest, licensed concealed carry on campus should not cost the university a dime.

K5GU

Post by K5GU »

KD5NRH wrote:
PaJ wrote:He says the guards are unarmed, and "half" of the police officers are. I don't know where he got his information, but it struck me as odd that only half would be armed. Just relaying the info. :tiphat:
Maybe they each carry half a gun, so if they want to use it, two of them have to agree and assemble it before they can.

Sounds about right for a campus police chief's policy.
Remember Barney "One bullet" Fife?
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... h_Show.jpg
Life is good.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

The editorial board of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram questions the high cost estimates claimed by some universities: http://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/ed ... 14411.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

Bladed wrote:The editorial board of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram questions the high cost estimates claimed by some universities: http://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/ed ... 14411.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, that was refreshing to read, even if it didn't go into much detail! Thanks for posting Bladed. :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

PaJ
Posts in topic: 15

Post by PaJ »

Bladed wrote:The editorial board of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram questions the high cost estimates claimed by some universities: http://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/ed ... 14411.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm glad someone in the media is paying attention to this. While I'm in the camp of "dorm residents" need to be addressed, anyone who doesn't live in a dorm costs the campus absolutely zero. It's a red herring. Frankly, if the campus cops are so under trained to handle de-escallation and active shooter situations, the argument is only reinforcing why campus carry is necessary.

Please note: I believe campus police receive the same training and are as good as other LEO's. I am not trying to start that debate. But those against campus carry are saying that the campus police aren't as trained or capable of handling those situations. Campus police should be highly offended by those assertions. I am firmly in the camp of pro campus carry. My son's comments of dorm living force me to give further consideration to that scenario.

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 6

Post by TexasCajun »

Kudos to the Star-Telegram for actually thinking this part of the issue through. When all of this finally comes to a head, I hope that someone will use these over inflated cost estimates as yet another reason why licensed concealed carry within university buildings should not be subject to local control. This blatant dishonesty of the administrators speaks volumes about their professional integrity and causes some question about their personal ethics as well.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KD5NRH »

PaJ wrote:Please note: I believe campus police receive the same training and are as good as other LEO's.
Apparently that was the local campus police chief's argument against it. He never would explain just what magic powers the regular PD would use to handle the exact same situation at HEB that he claimed his officers couldn't deal with in a classroom.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I wrote an article on the bogus $47 million cost estimate. It will appear on TexasFirearmsCoalition.com tomorrow morning.

I'll also post it on Facebook and it would help get the word out if our Members would share the post on their Facebook pages. I set these article to "public" rather than "friends" to increase readership.

Chas.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mr1337 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I wrote an article on the bogus $47 million cost estimate. It will appear on TexasFirearmsCoalition.com tomorrow morning.

I'll also post it on Facebook and it would help get the word out if our Members would share the post on their Facebook pages. I set these article to "public" rather than "friends" to increase readership.

Chas.
Looking forward to it. I love it when good pro-2A press debunks the anti-gunners' sensationalism with facts and reasoning.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”