General 2015 Legislative Session Discussion

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 5

Re: General 2015 Legislative Session Discussion

Post by ScooterSissy »

mojo84 wrote: Reduced what it takes to get a bill to a floor vote, made his chair appointments, indicated his support for open carry and reduced the number of democratic committee chairs. What more can he as Lt. Gov. do at this point.

He can't draft legislation and put it to a floor vote by himself. There is a process that has to be followed. Seems like some believe he has some authority to issue executive actions or such that will make OC a law. Do you guys expect him to pull an Obama?

viewtopic.php?f=133&t=75973" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Though I suspect my previous statement that we're going to have to agree to disagree still stands, I'm going to add this.

After the statement that caused all the ruckus, Patrick made this statement:
Now that (Senate Bill) 11 has support and is moving towards passage we can focus on other Second Amendment issues, including open carry, which I have consistently supported.”
So, apparently HE believes there is more he can do. I hope this is more than political double-speak to kick the can down the road. We shall see.

I stand by my statement that his comments the previous day disappointed me, and made me feel as if my support of him was misplaced. I'm slightly less disappointed right now, but we shall see...

Ruark
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ruark »

Don't be too harsh on Patrick. Any time there's an issue that's unpopular with the public, politicians will distance themselves from it. In this case, it's the OCT cretins which much of the public perceives as representative of the open carry movement. By creating a public image of open carry supporters as being a bunch of unwashed yahoos, they have, in the words of one writer, made the open carry issue "toxic" and legislators don't want to be seen as supporting it or coming within a mile of it, Patrick included. They don't want any of that dirt rubbing off on them.

Meanwhile, OCT continues hanging around the Capitol trumpeting their clueless nonsense. I was reading the Austin Chronicle this morning in a cafe, and one writer joked that the OCT people should be given a reserved parking space with their name on it, as their van "is parked in front of the Capitol building 24/7."

Every day I grow more pessimistic about any kind of open carry ever passing. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Last edited by Ruark on Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Ruark

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

We get upset with politicians when they lie and now evidently we get upset with them when they tell the truth.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

LDB415
Posts in topic: 4

Post by LDB415 »

Maybe Guido and Luigi need to have a discussion with OCT about their destructive and counter-productive tactics.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

For full disclosure CJ Grisham and I do not like each other, and that is putting things mildly. However let me say that since he has started dealing with the legislature he, and OCT, have toned things down quite a lot. I had one person even tell me that CJ Grisham posted to the closed facebook group that he thought Unlicensed Carry was dead. In fact a number of people here have made comments about the irony of CJ Grisham being the voice of reason from the OC crowd. I am uncertain if he now sees reason because he is dealing with the same people that Charles and Alice do and now understands where they were coming from, or if Stickland has him on a leash in order to get HB195 passed.

With that said: people who are upset about OC being damaged so badly since the session started need to lay the blame directly on OCTC and not OCT. The incident in Pancho Nevarez's office was caused by OCTC with their great leader Kory "pimp hat" Watkins recording the video and making many of the comments that upset so many people.

Don't get me wrong, Grisham and OCT are opposed to any OC bill other than HB195 and SB342 and given the chance I suspect they will do their best to kill any competing bill. Fortunately killing a competing bill takes time and CJ Grisham seems to be using all of his to further his two bills at this time. OCT will become a serious pain when their bills die in committee, but right now they are the least of our concerns.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tomtexan »

G.A. Heath wrote:For full disclosure CJ Grisham and I do not like each other, and that is putting things mildly. However let me say that since he has started dealing with the legislature he, and OCT, have toned things down quite a lot. I had one person even tell me that CJ Grisham posted to the closed facebook group that he thought Unlicensed Carry was dead. In fact a number of people here have made comments about the irony of CJ Grisham being the voice of reason from the OC crowd. I am uncertain if he now sees reason because he is dealing with the same people that Charles and Alice do and now understands where they were coming from, or if Stickland has him on a leash in order to get HB195 passed.
It does seem as if CJ has finally "woke up and smelled the coffee" as far as the wild antics and displays are concerned. I don't think it's that Stickland has him on a leash as much as it is he is starting to wise up and understand the process and the way it works, contrary to his prior beliefs.
G.A. Heath wrote:With that said: people who are upset about OC being damaged so badly since the session started need to lay the blame directly on OCTC and not OCT. The incident in Pancho Nevarez's office was caused by OCTC with their great leader Kory "pimp hat" Watkins recording the video and making many of the comments that upset so many people.
Watkins and OCTC are solely to blame if OC does not make it through this session. If he would simply take note from CJ and tone down his obnoxious displays and just stay at home, progress just might could be made. It's probably far too late now though. Unlicensed OC is definitely out of the picture. Licensed OC probably still stood a chance up until the Pancho show in his office. It (OC) most likely went down the big dumper after that tirade. Kory Watkins is like a rabid dog and needs to be dealt with as such.
G.A. Heath wrote:Don't get me wrong, Grisham and OCT are opposed to any OC bill other than HB195 and SB342 and given the chance I suspect they will do their best to kill any competing bill. Fortunately killing a competing bill takes time and CJ Grisham seems to be using all of his to further his two bills at this time. OCT will become a serious pain when their bills die in committee, but right now they are the least of our concerns.
Looking at CJ's FB page, it seems as if he is backing away from HB195 and leaning more towards SB342 now.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 16

Post by mojo84 »

Watkins does not come across as being sane. He seems to lack touch with reality and appears unstable.

Grisham comes across as being overzealous, lacking in discernment and unwise.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

joe817
Posts in topic: 8

Post by joe817 »

mojo84 wrote:Watkins does not come across as being sane. He seems to lack touch with reality and appears unstable.

Grisham comes across as being overzealous, lacking in discernment and unwise.
Watkins with his absurd antics, to me, comes off as a separatist(secessionist, if you will), who's out of touch with reality.(is that an oxymoron or what. :lol: )

Grisham seems to me a megalomaniac, does not have the ability to compromise, or admit his antics are totally counterproductive to his stated 'goals'.

Other than that, I totally agree with you. :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Kory Watkins is a "professional protestor." He's involved in several movements under the guise of "fighting for our rights." He sees himself as some kind of caped superhero. Here's an example of the kind of crap that comes from him:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/gun- ... -way-home/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can you believe this guy... he thinks it should NOT be illegal to drive drunk.

He doesn't carry a valid driver's license - his reasoning? "I don’t ask for permission to drive a car I paid for on a road I paid for."

As far as CJ.... he's always talking about how he shouldn't have to pay for something (i.e. a CHL) that's he's allowed to do in the Constitution. What he doesn't say is that he has some kind of criminal conviction on his record, the result being that he isn't ELIGIBLE for a CHL anyway!!!

Sometimes I wish there were a way some responsible groups like TFC, TSRA, etc. could publicly discredit these people - yank the covers off, so to speak.
-Ruark

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tomtexan »

Ruark wrote:
As far as CJ.... he's always talking about how he shouldn't have to pay for something (i.e. a CHL) that's he's allowed to do in the Constitution. What he doesn't say is that he has some kind of criminal conviction on his record, the result being that he isn't ELIGIBLE for a CHL anyway!!!

Sometimes I wish there were a way some responsible groups like TFC, TSRA, etc. could publicly discredit these people - yank the covers off, so to speak.
:iagree: Open carry wasn't even a issue with CJ until his incident with Temple PD. He didn't seem to mind paying for a CHL before he lost it.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Ruark wrote:Kory Watkins is a "professional protestor." He's involved in several movements under the guise of "fighting for our rights." He sees himself as some kind of caped superhero. Here's an example of the kind of crap that comes from him:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/gun- ... -way-home/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He doesn't carry a valid driver's license - his reasoning? "I don’t ask for permission to drive a car I paid for on a road I paid for."

According to the last paragraph he doesn't have a sense of humor.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Ruark wrote:Kory Watkins is a "professional protestor." He's involved in several movements under the guise of "fighting for our rights." He sees himself as some kind of caped superhero. Here's an example of the kind of crap that comes from him:

The thing about our side is that we typically don't air our dirty laundry. Heck, we don't even go after Dudley Brown as viciously as we could because we have standards. We do what we have to do and no more. With that said the NRA and TSRA have to play above that level even, Even when they are attacked and lied about they often brush it off and go on about their business if it's not going to cause them trouble because they are better than that.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Little change of subject.

I was reading through HB308 and found something a little surprising. It reverts to the older "intentionally fails to conceal" that was fixed last session. I know the guys at the capitol are smart cookies. But Charles, do you think they'll catch and amend that before to the current TPC verbiage it goes out?
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

mr1337 wrote:Little change of subject.

I was reading through HB308 and found something a little surprising. It reverts to the older "intentionally fails to conceal" that was fixed last session. I know the guys at the capitol are smart cookies. But Charles, do you think they'll catch and amend that before to the current TPC verbiage it goes out?
HB308 was filed using an old draft from last session. It will be corrected with a committee substitute.

Chas.

v7a
Banned

Post by v7a »

Lawmakers set to debate campus carry, open carry bills
AUSTIN - Campus carry and open carry, two of the most controversial legislative proposals this session, will be two of the first to be debated by state lawmakers.

The Senate State Affairs Committee, chaired by Houston Republican Joan Huffman, will take up Senate Bill 11 and 346 on Thursday. SB11 by Sen. Brian Birdwell, R-Granbury, would allow concealed handgun license holders to carry their guns concealed on college campuses. SB346 by Sen. Craig Estes would remove Texas' 125-year-old ban on the open carry of handguns, but would require those wishing to do so to pass a background check and receive a license.

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick recently pledged to fast-track the bills, after gun rights activists criticized comments he made that open carry didn't have the votes to pass and wasn't a top priority this session. Many of the most vocal activists, however, do not support Estes' bill. Instead, they are advocating for a bill filed by Sen. Don Huffiness, R-Dallas, that would allow for the unlicensed open carry of handguns.
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
COMMITTEE: State Affairs
TIME & DATE: 9:00 AM, Thursday, February 12, 2015
PLACE: E1.016 (Hearing Room)

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”