HJR 56

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

HJR 56

Post by srothstein »

Charles:

I noticed that there are no HJRs mentioned in the list of bills. Most of them are matched by enabling legislation so this is not a problem, but I don't ant anyone to miss this resolution. It is a proposal for a constitutional amendment on our right to bear arms in Texas and it takes away the phrase authorizing the legislature to regulate it.

I would like to see it added to the tracking, if possible. I do not know what the legal process is for resolutions like this to make it to the ballot, so some explanation of how it differs from a bill might also help. I think it does not take a governor's signature, but I am not positive about even that.

Assuming it passes and is voted in, what are the ramifications of this? I could see where courts could say it makes no difference and could almost strike down all gun laws in Texas. I doubt the second is probable, which means I think it is unlikely to make a significant difference in anything.
Steve Rothstein

paxton25

Re: HJR 56

Post by paxton25 »

I would like to see this tracked and rated as well, I believe a JR is how a proposed amendment to the constitution would have to be moved forward. But I think this is icing on the cake. If strong bills pass the only use for this would be to bar future legislative items without another constitutional amendment.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I add everything to the Bill Status Report, but sometimes I can't do it everyday.

HJR56 is a constitutional amendment that would remove legislative authority to regulate the wearing of arms. It has little chance of passing and if it does, the real battle would be in the public vote on the proposed amendment.

Chas.

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

Would it, by default, take away the state preemption and maybe allow cities and local municipalities to write their own laws?
N5PNZ

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

2farnorth wrote:Would it, by default, take away the state preemption and maybe allow cities and local municipalities to write their own laws?
No, it would be another impediment to local regulation. What the state cannot do because of constitutional protection, local governments cannot do either.

Chas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

While a long shot, it would be nice if it would pass.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

mojo84 wrote:While a long shot, it would be nice if it would pass.
It would be tremendous!!

Chas.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”