House committee assignments

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: House committee assignments

Post by v7a »

I'm curious too about how much power the Vice Chair has, especially considering the quote below:

Lawmakers lean toward licensed open carry in face of video ultimatum
Sen. Brandon Creighton, R-Conroe, is one of the 11 co-sponsors on Estes' bill and sits on State Affairs. He said Thursday he does not think Watkins' actions have killed the chances for some form of open carry to pass this session.

"I don't think it hurts the overall effort because we, as legislators, are very accustomed to advocates coming into this building and being very passionate," said Creighton, who thinks open carry licenses should be optional, but available for those Texans who want to carry proof of their right under state law. "It's unfortunate that some of those advocates resort to the language and tactics that they use, but, ultimately, I don't think much about it."

Nevarez disagreed.

"It's obscene," he said of Watkins' video. "How do you proceed to evaluate a bill when you're being threatened like that? It shouldn't even come up for discussion now."
Although he may be referring to just the constitutional carry bill, I suspect he means any open carry bill.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

mojo84 wrote:Not real excited about the vice chair of the Homeland Security committee.

Homeland Security & Public Safety
CHAIR: Phillips, Larry
VICE-CHAIR: Nevárez, Poncho
SENIORITY APPOINTMENTS: Metcalf, Will
White, Molly
SPEAKER APPOINTMENTS: Burns, DeWayne
Dale, Tony
Johnson, Eric
Moody, Joseph
Wray, John
We're good. :thumbs2:

Chas.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 10

Post by mojo84 »

Thanks Charles. I was hoping that would be the case but was a little apprehensive about seeing his name there.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Not real excited about the vice chair of the Homeland Security committee.

White, Molly
Dale, Tony
Johnson, Eric
Moody, Joseph
Wray, John

Chas.
Glad to hear that... After Kory's antics today, we could all use some good news.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

White, Molly
Dale, Tony
Johnson, Eric
Moody, Joseph
Wray, John

Chas.
Glad to hear that... After Kory's antics today, we could all use some good news.
BTW, I'm not saying open-carry is okay!

Chas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I'm hopeful licensed open carry still has a chance. I'll be thankful if we get the other objectives addressed.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AJSully421 »

Maybe we can convince some folks that the best way to put a stick in OCTC's eye is to pass Licensed OC instead of unlicensed.

I would be happy enough to get bill 308 passed that guts where CHL'ers cannot carry. OC is my very close second priority.

I'd also like to see the "hospital that posts 30.06 must have armed guards at each entrance" bill amended to strke anywhere where it references a "Hospital" and replace it with "Any premises". Make those anti-freedom liberals put their money where their tyranny is.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by v7a »

Report: Abbott says open carry still has a strong chance of passing
AUSTIN – Gov. Greg Abbott said Thursday there’s a strong chance that open carry legislation passes this session, even after a gun rights activist roiled the debate this week by appearing to threaten lawmakers opposed to the measure.

Abbott told a Lubbock radio station that “heated exchanges” notwithstanding, “the votes probably are there for open carry,” according to the Houston Chronicle. The Republican has previously said he would sign open carry legislation if it reaches his desk.

“I certainly think that’s the way the probability’s leaning right now,” Abbott told Chad Hasty on News Talk 790 AM in Lubbock.

Luggo1

Post by Luggo1 »

Larry Phillips in Public Safety is A+ rated.

Todd Hunter in Calendars is A rated.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

v7a wrote:Report: Abbott says open carry still has a strong chance of passing
AUSTIN – Gov. Greg Abbott said Thursday there’s a strong chance that open carry legislation passes this session, even after a gun rights activist roiled the debate this week by appearing to threaten lawmakers opposed to the measure.

Abbott told a Lubbock radio station that “heated exchanges” notwithstanding, “the votes probably are there for open carry,” according to the Houston Chronicle. The Republican has previously said he would sign open carry legislation if it reaches his desk.

“I certainly think that’s the way the probability’s leaning right now,” Abbott told Chad Hasty on News Talk 790 AM in Lubbock.
The winning quote from that article:
Rep. Charlie Geren – chairman of House Administration, which helps coordinate Capitol security – told the Dallas Morning News that officials take all threats seriously. He declined to get into specifics but said “we take the security of all of our members very, very seriously.”

These fools that want to run their mouth off should understand that,” he said.
Last edited by Pawpaw on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I wish they would lock Kory Watkins up. I think he's gone too far and needs to suffer the consequences.

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

mojo84 wrote:I wish they would lock Kory Watkins up. I think he's gone too far and needs to suffer the consequences.
Well, it seems like every news outlet that reports on TX 2A legislation HAS to go out and mention Kory the Cuckoo. Folks should comment on each of these articles and mention that he DOES NOT represent any gun owner that would not be institutionalized after taking the MMPI test.
http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/201 ... y-passing/
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I'm thinking he should be locked up for his criminal actions and while in evaluated for mental illness.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”