SB 17 about to go to the Senate Floor - Amendments?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mojo84
Posts in topic: 13

Re: SB 17 about to go to the Senate Floor - Amendments?

Post by mojo84 »

timtheteacher wrote:My email to Sen Van Taylor:

Dear Senator Taylor

Could you tell me why the body of Senators spend an inordinate amount of time with resolutions in the sessions thus far and not discussing bills that have come out of committee and on the Intent calendar. I am specifically talking about SB 11 and SB 17. Is there a time period when these bill will have a second reading and any amendments attached?

I am a teacher and want to show the Senate in action through the live feed. The back slapping and recognizing of constituents is getting tiresome. I want them to see how real legislation gets passed. At the end of each session when I read that there was just not enough time to get bills passed I reflect on what is happening now.

Thank You

Tim Montgomery
Teacher and retired Air Force veteran
Looking forward to seeing his response.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

joe817
Posts in topic: 21

Post by joe817 »

Me too! Thanks Tim! :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Ruark
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Ruark »

timtheteacher wrote:The back slapping and recognizing of constituents is getting tiresome.
They should have a special meeting just for this purpose. It's not only a waste of time, but 3/4 of the Senate isn't even in the room. The ones that are there are just wandering around the room talking to each other and completely ignoring the honorees, acting like they weren't even there. You can imagine how bitterly disappointed some of those kids must feel that traveled hundreds of miles in this icy weather just for this special occasion, all dressed up and excited. They thought this would be a major event in their lives, and they ended up being treated like furniture. I was just as dismayed by that as I was by the wasted time.

Tim... I know you're disappointed about how the video feed went (I was a teacher for 10 years. Believe me, I hear you), but you might just use it the way it is. Remember, you can turn everything into a lesson. "This is an example of the inefficiency and apathy in our government that people complained about in your assigned reading....watch the video and discuss three examples....etc..."

Yesterday they went for 2 hours before moving to adjourn. Today they only went an hour. Guess they were still tired from yesterday. "rlol"
-Ruark

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Postponed again.... you people with experience in this process, how long does this normally go on?
-Ruark

Topic author
K5GU
Posts in topic: 4

Post by K5GU »

Ruark wrote:Postponed again.... you people with experience in this process, how long does this normally go on?
They'll probably get the ball rolling on bills/amendments in a couple of weeks when time runs out for new bill and resolution introductions.

I think it's been a positive thing to see the Senate bills get at least get through first reading and out of the initial committee.
Life is good.

joe817
Posts in topic: 21

Post by joe817 »

Ruark, don't look at me! I've never before been a position to watch daily of the House & Senate Floor proceedings. But one thing for sure..... :yawn :sleep

I hope that they are all but finished on congratulating alllll the colleges, counties, municipalities, etc, etc ad infinitum so we can get to the business of the much needed legislation they are there for!
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

tlt
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tlt »

Is anything happening with this?

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasCajun »

I recall reading in another thread (can't recall which one) that we won't see anything else on this until next week some time - March 13 or so.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

TexasCajun wrote:I recall reading in another thread (can't recall which one) that we won't see anything else on this until next week some time - March 13 or so.
:iagree: I think Chas posted that.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Unless there was a change, Senate bills are not eligible for debate until the 60th day of the session. Recognition resolutions can be boring, but they are not delaying the process.

Chas.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Unless there was a change, Senate bills are not eligible for debate until the 60th day of the session. Recognition resolutions can be boring, but they are not delaying the process.

Chas.
So what we're watching now is all they've been doing since January 13th? Ugh.
-Ruark

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Seems like that may be a rule worth looking at changing. Especially when they start whining they didn't have enough time to do their jobs.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

mojo84 wrote:Seems like that may be a rule worth looking at changing. Especially when they start whining they didn't have enough time to do their jobs.
They have plenty of time to pass the legislation they want passed. Look at a list of bills passed last session.

No bill fails by lack of time unless designed that way.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

steveincowtown wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Seems like that may be a rule worth looking at changing. Especially when they start whining they didn't have enough time to do their jobs.
They have plenty of time to pass the legislation they want passed. Look at a list of bills passed last session.

No bill fails by lack of time unless designed that way.
So why do they keep saying they don't have time to deliberate the bills on the floor and vote for them? I'm just making a suggestion that would take that excuse of the table.

By the way, it's not the number of bills that's passed that indicates how busy they are. It's how many bills get committee and floor time.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

I disagree. We really don't want an efficient state legislature. As things stand now, it takes a deliberate and concentrated effort to get anything passed. That's a very good thing for any level of gov't.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”