Senate Bills 179 and 273 on State Affairs Agenda Today

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
K5GU
Posts in topic: 5

Senate Bills 179 and 273 on State Affairs Agenda Today

Post by K5GU »

Looks like they'll broadcast beginning around 9 am this morning.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 209001.HTM
Life is good.

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Senate Bills 179 and 273 on State Affairs Agenda Today

Post by joe817 »

Thanks for the heads up! I'm always interested in watching all of these proceedings. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

mr1337
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr1337 »

Live stream link:

http://tlcsenate.granicus.com/MediaPlay ... ent_id=965" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[edit] Late to the game, have they already discussed the bills?
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Yes, they discussed them earlier. Both were fairly straightforward and took up no more than about 20min each (if that).
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

I watched during the SB 273 testimonies but I haven't seen the SB 179 testimony. SB 273 was left pending on issues dealing with the reference to Penal Code 46.035 with concerns about sign management during events at venues where the sign would only be needed during certain times, and that it would overburden event venue members with the need to put up the sign, take down the sign, etc. etc. The panel basically asked Senators to work on it. Senator Campbell who authored the bill also reminded everyone that her bill is exactly the same one that passed last session, then was killed by an amendment. Also see Charles' excellent article at: https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... 0-06-signs
Life is good.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

K5GU wrote:I watched during the SB 273 testimonies but I haven't seen the SB 179 testimony. SB 273 was left pending on issues dealing with the reference to Penal Code 46.035 with concerns about sign management during events at venues where the sign would only be needed during certain times, and that it would overburden event venue members with the need to put up the sign, take down the sign, etc. etc. The panel basically asked Senators to work on it. Senator Campbell who authored the bill also reminded everyone that her bill is exactly the same one that passed last session, then was killed by an amendment. Also see Charles' excellent article at: https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... 0-06-signs
I wrote a letter to Sen. Campbell for circulation to the Committee Members discussing the inaccurate and misleading testimony by Mr. Ellis of the Texas District and County Attorneys Association. I was more than a little surprised to hear his "comments."

Chas.

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
K5GU wrote:I watched during the SB 273 testimonies but I haven't seen the SB 179 testimony. SB 273 was left pending on issues dealing with the reference to Penal Code 46.035 with concerns about sign management during events at venues where the sign would only be needed during certain times, and that it would overburden event venue members with the need to put up the sign, take down the sign, etc. etc. The panel basically asked Senators to work on it. Senator Campbell who authored the bill also reminded everyone that her bill is exactly the same one that passed last session, then was killed by an amendment. Also see Charles' excellent article at: https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... 0-06-signs
I wrote a letter to Sen. Campbell for circulation to the Committee Members discussing the inaccurate and misleading testimony by Mr. Ellis of the Texas District and County Attorneys Association. I was more than a little surprised to hear his "comments."

Chas.
This flashes me back to Business Law class in college (Okla.), learning the history and eventual positive outcome of improper/not legal signage and the much needed legislation that was passed, and how that HELPED the courts and LE - rather than 'overburdening' them!
Life is good.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

The first Texas Firearms Coalition Call-To-Action for the 2015 Legislative Session will go out tomorrow morning. It will deal with SB273. No bill that the Lt. Gov. wants to be a priority will be stalled in a committee where his Party has a majority. Keep this in mind when the CTA goes out tomorrow.

Chas.

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

What was that guy's point about the Erwin Center and not taking down "signs" immediately after the Fleetwod Mac concert? First of all, the Erwin Center is part of a university so at the moment, different carry rules apply anyway. If campus carry passes, a Fleetwood Mac concert doesn't get to be "posted" anyway so what is the concern about changing the sign? What sign? He said something about selling beer there so was he referring to a 51% sign? I know we have issues with where 51% signs at venues like this apply, but that's a separate thing that has nothing to do with him or with counties, although I would love for the Legislature to have that discussion also.

Basically, his example made no sense.

And the deal about having to move metal detectors if only a "room" can be posted rather than an entire building (for purposes of a "government meeting"). I wish somebody would have pointed out that a) the posting of a government meeting, whether it's the room or the building, is optional in any event and b) if they had concerns, follow the Capitol model of keeping the detectors at the doors but allow CHL holders to bypass.

And for heaven's sake will somebody please get Rodney Ellis a list of what "other states do" so he can see how far ahead some of them are on many of these issues? Not that it will do any good, but geez that gets old.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The first Texas Firearms Coalition Call-To-Action for the 2015 Legislative Session will go out tomorrow morning. It will deal with SB273. No bill that the Lt. Gov. wants to be a priority will be stalled in a committee where his Party has a majority. Keep this in mind when the CTA goes out tomorrow.

Chas.
Standing by. :txflag:
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

gsansing

Post by gsansing »

Should we contact the Sentator of which district we reside, or contact the ones listed on the committee listed in the email from TFC.
My wife says I'm a gun snob.... I'm okay with that.
Life is too short to own cheap guns...
NRA Member / TSRA Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

gsansing wrote:Should we contact the Sentator of which district we reside, or contact the ones listed on the committee listed in the email from TFC.
Contact all Members of the Senate State Affairs Committee and Lt. Gov. Patrick. Then contact your Senator and ask them to sign on to SB273 as an "author."

Thanks,
Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

The Call-To-Action on SB273 has been issued.

Chas.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Who are the current "authors"?
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

RogueUSMC wrote:Who are the current "authors"?
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=SB273
Life is good.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”