House Bill 2918

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: House Bill 2918

Post by ScooterSissy »

joe817 wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:
joe817 wrote:Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I do not intend to go within 100 ft. much less 25 ft. of a law enforcement officer in exercising his/her duties. Unless.....I am needed to stop and render aid to the LEO, if in the remote event he/she, IMO, needs it.
What if said LEO stops you in your vehicle for a traffic violation? Keep in mind, I also never intend to get stopped; but it happens. I'd hate to think that I, or someone inside the vehicle, has to stop recording.
Well, let's look at what I said: "....I do not intend to go within...". That would mean me advancing on the LEO's position, doesn't it? If it wasn't taken that way, that's the way I meant it. If the LEO come to me then that's another matter, don't you think? Besides, I don't do video's of cops performing their duty. Not to mention a routine traffic stop.
The way I understood the law, if it passed as written, it would apply in a traffic stop as well. Yes, you said "go within 100 ft.", but in the discussion of whether or not this is a good law, you wouldn't need to "go". The law is written about "within", not "within after advancing upon". I asked because you didn't say. Snarky comments aside, "it won't ever apply to me" is a pretty poor reason for being OK with a law that would further restrict citizen's rights.

Your opinion may vary, of course...
joe817 wrote:And lastly, you are implying that you are in the car with me, if I do get stopped(" I'd hate to think that I, or someone inside the vehicle, has to stop recording."-your words, not mine).... I wouldn't permit somebody recording the incident. Besides, I don't even know you. And I don't let strangers in my car. :biggrinjester:
"Well, let's look at what I said" - nope, no such implication. I made that statement right after saying I never intend to get stopped, but it happens. I said "I" because I was talking about myself, and expressing one of the reasons I don't like the law.

My issue is that it's a completely unnecessary law, and ripe for abuse.
Unnecessary
I heard a policeman call into the Mark Davis show on the way to work this morning, and talked about how it's a "needed" law, because people filming a cop that close adds one more distraction that can interfere with their job. The problem with that is such a person can be the same distraction without the camera. Police already can detain, and arrest, someone interfering with their duties. They don't need a law specifying the person interfering has to have a camera.
Ripe for Abuse
As has been pointed out, there have already been cases where policemen have told people that it is illegal for them to record an officer. Some have tried to use wiretapping laws to back this up. Face it, even though the vast majority of policemen are just out there doing a job as best they can, there are some bad apples in the bunch. We don't need to give the bad apples another method to hide their deeds in darkness.

adrbe
Posts in topic: 1

Post by adrbe »

joe817 wrote:Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I do not intend to go within 100 ft. much less 25 ft. of a law enforcement officer in exercising his/her duties. Unless.....I am needed to stop and render aid to the LEO, if in the remote event he/she, IMO, needs it.
Bad bills should be opposed on principle, and not whether we think they'll ever apply to us.

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

I live in a small town and don't worry too much about the police, most of them know who I am and I don't get pulled over often or for anything major. However, I have heard horror stories about police in some of the larger cities like Houston and San Antonio. If I was being pulled over there and thought there could be a problem, I would adopt a method I have heard from others, turn on recording on the phone and put it in the cup holder pointing at the window across me. It wouldn't obstruct the officer and hopefully could just be deleted on completion of the stop but you never know what could happen. This bill would make even something like that which is in no way obstructive illegal.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

jmra

Post by jmra »

adrbe wrote:
Bad bills should be opposed on principle, and not whether we think they'll ever apply to us.
:iagree: This is a bad bill aimed at a few bad apples that winds up putting the most law abiding citizens in the state in the line of fire. Some one needs to have a discussion with this A rated law maker.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Srnewby

Post by Srnewby »

:iagree:

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

This bill has about a 1% chance of passing the Senate as-is.

Do any of us really think that the same people who just voted through SB11 & 17 will suddenly throw in with the anti-freedom crowd and especially throw us CHLers under the bus and go along with that extra "buffer zone" for CHLs...
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

I stand for the truth. I stand for cops being allowed to fulfill their duties without interference. I do know they are trained to deal with crowds and distractions. I've seen the cop shows with family members and crowds wailing for their thug that is being arrested... I don't see how recording is interfering unless they are too close. Who is to say what is too close? Texas streets and NYC streets are very different. And I find it very offensive that I am being singled out as a upstanding citizen who happens to have my CHL. What if an officer needed assistance, but due to this law it makes chl'ers reluctant to be near incidents?

I believe in watching the officers if the situation is safe, being a good witness works both ways. What if BG says cop punched him in the face repeatedly, but he had been beaten up by his girlfriend and wanted to save face?

At the end of the day, the truth will set you free. Had there been an impartial camera in the Ferguson case, an officer would have been exonerated much quicker and his life wouldn't be in danger. This bill leans too close to the left for my comfort.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

I say enforce existing "interfering laws". Hopefully this never gets out of the legislature. If by some stroke of extreme bad luck it gets sent to the Governor, will he veto it.?

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Even if this were to somehow pass and become law it wouldn't stand up to the scrutiny of the courts.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jmra

Post by jmra »

C-dub wrote:Even if this were to somehow pass and become law it wouldn't stand up to the scrutiny of the courts.
:iagree: About as unconstitutional as it gets. Would probably make for some strange bedfellows in court.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Next thing we'll hear about will be free speech zones on college campuses. Oh, wait....
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

83v45magna

Post by 83v45magna »

C-dub wrote:Even if this were to somehow pass and become law it wouldn't stand up to the scrutiny of the courts.
Correct as I see it. That thing'll never fly.
********************************************************************************************************

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it
slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves. ~D.H. Lawrence

Topic author
MojaveMan

Post by MojaveMan »

It sounds like Villalba has pulled the bill.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/03 ... us-groups/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://kxan.com/2015/03/27/police-filmi ... rom-union/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

MojaveMan wrote:It sounds like Villalba has pulled the bill.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/03 ... us-groups/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://kxan.com/2015/03/27/police-filmi ... rom-union/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good. I'm glad to see his good sense returning..... :clapping:

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

But Villalba maintains that his bill is to promote police accountability, and came at the urging of his hometown police.
Promote accountability... by not allowing people to film police within 25 or 100 feet? I don't understand how that promotes accountability. If anything, it has the opposite effect.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”