Straus interview in Texas Tribune Feb 11

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

TresHuevos
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Straus interview in Texas Tribune Feb 11

Post by TresHuevos »

timtheteacher wrote:http://www.texastribune.org/2015/02/11/ ... e-bullied/

Straus said the House was broadly in favor of Second Amendment rights, but that the details of any proposed open carry bill will save or sink it.

“It’s a favorable place for gun legislation generally,” Straus said. “Maybe not the particularly extreme one that that wild man (Watkins) was talking about.”

Does this statement give you any hope for any of the firearm legislation coming up this session?
Someone on another thread put it best, "If this passes, it will be in spite of Straus not because of him." I wish Gov. Abbott would stand up and make an unequivocal statement about this rather than just posting his "support" on Facebook.

*Edited for an extra letter
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

dru

Post by dru »

Straus doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence but his comment gives me a little bit of hope...maybe. If he's referring to Watkins, then it means he's not enthusiastic about a UOC/UCC bill going through but could still find the current SB 11/17 bills okay since they are (paradoxically) some of the things that Watkins was complaining about. I am going to wait and see where the committee assignments on SB 11/17 go. HB 910 and 937 got favorable committee assignments and will probably be passed out of committee next week so I remain relatively optimistic

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Somewhat related video. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[video][/video]
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

With the pressure of Abbott, Patrick, and other Republicans looking to undercut him, I doubt that Strauss has the political capital right now to oppose the SB versions of open carry or campus carry and still do all the other favors that his Dem supporters need from him in other areas (education, immigration "reform", etc.). He's probably going to let these pass....esp. if he wants to be elected for the next session.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”